Strawberry Orange Mousse

Wow, spring is in the air in Baltimore, and it feels good. I don’t know about you, but I definitely had a case of the winter blues. It’s so nice to finally see the sun and feel its warmth on my ghostly white skin. Seriously, my skin is so white that it glows- and not in a good way.

In honor of spring, I made a lovely light and airy strawberry orange mousse. It’s sure to pull you out of your winter stupor. This creamy dessert is easy to make- like, super easy! It will appear as if you spent all day in the kitchen making it, when actually, it only takes about 10 minutes to throw together.

This mousse is a nice finish to a heavy meal. Add a little white wine to the mix and you’ve got yourself a party.

Strawberry and orange mingle and fall in love, creating a perfect marriage of flavors. This mousse is creamy and dreamy. It’s not too sweet, but just sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth after dinner.

Look at those pillowy waves of strawberry and orange fluffiness. Makes you want to dive right in. Enjoy!

Love and sweet treats,

Jennie

Recipe:

adapted from Ask Aida

1 lb. of fresh strawberries, hulled

1/2 cup sugar

1 orange, zested and juiced

1 tbs. orange-flavored liqueur

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

2 tbs. powdered sugar

In a blender or a food processor, blend strawberries, orange zest, and orange juice until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until bubbling and just thickened, about 7-10 minutes. Refrigerate mixture until completely cool, about 2-3 hours.

In a bowl of a mixture, beat cream with powdered sugar and orange liqueur until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the strawberry mixture. Chill for about 30 minutes until mixture sets. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Enjoy!

25 Responses to “Strawberry Orange Mousse”

Renee Dobbs (@reneedobbs) — March 22, 2012 at 6:22 pm

So pretty! I am sure it is as tasty as it looks. Thanks for sharing.

• themessybakerblog replied March 24th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Rene. It was so good.

kaylakakes — March 22, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Looks great. I may have to try it. :)

Villy — March 23, 2012 at 5:52 am

Perfect for the season! And this plate looks so elegant and pretty!

• themessybakerblog replied March 24th, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thanks, Villy. The plates are from Home Goods. Love that place!

Lacy @ NYCityEats — March 23, 2012 at 12:57 pm

MMmm strawberries & orange sounds like a great combo! This looks absolutely delicious! I’m with ya on the winter blues, couldn’t wait for some sunshine and warm air! Perfect Spring flavors!

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — March 23, 2012 at 2:40 pm

your photos are fantastic!! and this dessert sounds heavenly, i love this combination of strawberry and orange, so creative!

Choc Chip Uru — March 23, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Your mousse looks spectacular :D
    I love the beautiful colour and flavours encompassed! Bookmarked :)

The Communal Pantry (@thepantryteam) — March 23, 2012 at 7:21 pm

this is so beautiful….

grasshopper girl (@heidiwebb65) — March 23, 2012 at 8:51 pm

WOW!!! Looks great.

Suzanne — March 24, 2012 at 12:07 am

orange and strawberry mouse sounds refreshing, I’m thinking in the middle of white cake yum! But all on it’s own looks good too.

• themessybakerblog replied March 24th, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Thanks, Suzanne. It would be excellent in between layers of cake. Good idea!

Must Come Hungry — March 24, 2012 at 4:35 pm

This looks delicious! And your pictures are so beautiful. I love that place mat and your dishes :)

• themessybakerblog replied March 24th, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Thank you so much. The place mat is from an Amish shop in PA.

Angie@Angie's Recipes — March 25, 2012 at 8:52 am

It’s warm and sunny here and this would be a perfect dessert for me now!

Kiri W. — March 25, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Oooh, yum! That looks so elegant and refreshing. Wonderful creation!

Sofie Dittmann @thegermanfoodie — March 25, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Eat your heart out, Martha Stewart! This mousse looks FABULOUS! I am a big mousse fan, and I adore strawberries – but I’ve never tried to combine that w/ orange. It sounds more than intriguing! Hat’s off!

• themessybakerblog replied March 25th, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Thanks so much. I love experimenting with flavor combos, and this one was a success. Gotta love it when that happens. Thanks for visiting.

Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) — March 26, 2012 at 11:27 am

Strawberries with orange is a delightful combination. The mousse looks delish.

redheadev — March 26, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Yum, 2 of my favorite flavors combined to make a delicious dessert to serve my dinner guests, Thanx for sharing this great recipe

redheadev — March 26, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Yum, my 2 favorite flavors combined into a delicious mousse that will the perfect dessert for my dinner gusts.

1. Pingback: Strawberry Recipe Round-Up | Chocolate Moosey