Chocolate Cookies Two Ways

Today was a rough day- and I mean rough! It was also my first day back to school after a week off for spring break. It’s tough going back after a week of freedom, relaxation, and baking. I really had to force myself to get out of bed and trudge off to school. What was waiting for me at school was not my definition of fun. My eight o’ clock class provided me with a cranky professor who yelled at me for smiling- yes, smiling! Since when did smiling become a punishable crime? I was then taken to his office and reprimanded for interrupting the class with my smiling. I’m 27, I don’t need reprimanding. I have a million projects, papers, and homework assignments piled on my desk (which at the moment is my bed since we’re renovating the upstairs) waiting to be attended to. Then, to top the day off, I came home to the trash can knocked over with trash spilling out onto the floor and littered throughout the house. Thank you, dog! like I don’t have enough to deal with already without you creating a mess for me to clean up.

Needless to say, I needed comfort- fast! I can’t think of a better way to get comfort than through food. On that note, I whipped up a batch of cookies pronto. This day called for some heavy artillery, so I pulled out the strong stuff. Chocolate! Nothing else would do. Thanks to my new Joy the Baker cookbook, I found the perfect cookie recipe. Chocolate brownie cookies. Yum!

I wrapped the cookies as if I were giving myself a present to cheer me up. Lame. I know. Hey, whatever works. I’d like to thank Jessica from A Kitchen Addiction and Shelley from Piggy In Polka Dots for lifting my wounded spirit today. Both of them gave me the gift of The Versatile Blogger Award. Thank you so much, Jessica and Shelley. Go check out Jessica’s site; she has a lot of lovin’ from the oven happening over there. I’d really like to dig into her carrot cake cupcakes and chewy banana mini-chip cookies. Go check out Shelley’s site for some creative gift ideas. Shelley’s dipped and sprinkled easter egg cookies look amazing and would be the perfect gift to give for Easter. She also has some amazing chocolate dipped pretzel rods that look down right delicious.

I’m not going to lie, I ate a few, okay six, cookies as I was photographing them. Like I said, rough day. These cookies are everything a cookie should be. And by that I mean crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. These cookies are the whole shebang! The crackly crust is just beautiful, not to mention delicious. These cookies are packed with some good stuff, too. Toasted almonds and white chocolate are peppered throughout the chocolatey goodness. Soul soothing.

Here’s one of the cookies I proceeded to eat after photographing. You can’t just put a broken cookie back in the container. Actually, it’s against the rules. Really, it is. Don’t believe me? Google it.

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any better. Boom! I surprise you with an ice cream filled chocolate brownie cookie. Now, I’m not telling you what to do, but the ice cream takes these cookies over the top. Totally do it. Add the ice cream. Trust me, you won’t regret it. I added mint chocolate chip, but you can add whatever flavor you like. Ahh, this day just took a turn for the better. It’s smooth sailing from here because I’m in cookie heaven, and nothing can bother you when your sittin’ pretty in cookie heaven.

Just in case you’re unfamiliar, this is what cookie heaven looks like. Enjoy!

Recipe:

adapted from Joy the Baker

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

3 tbs. unsalted butter

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. instant espresso powder (this enhances the chocolatey goodness without making the cookies taste like coffee)

1 tsp. vanilla extract

3 eggs

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. kosher salt

1 cup white chocolate chips

1 cup almonds, toasted and chopped

Preheat oven to 325 degress F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

Simmer 2 inches of water in a medium saucepan. Place semisweet chocolate and butter in a medium  heatproof bowl and place the bowl over, but not touching, the simmering water. Melt the chocolate and butter together until the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.

In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, espresso powder, eggs, and vanilla extract. Add the cooled chocolate mixture to the sugar mixture and whisk until combined. Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture, folding until the flour disappears into the chocolate mixture. Stir in the white chocolate chips and toasted almonds. Refrigerate mixture for at least an hour before baking. This helps the mixture set up so the cookies don’t become too flat when baked.

Using a cookie scoop or a teaspoon, dollop the batter onto the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 11 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before placing them on a cooling rack. Eat cookies by the fist full, or fill completely cooled cookies with your favorite ice cream for ice cream sandwiches. Enjoy!

33 Responses to “Chocolate Cookies Two Ways”

Shelley — March 27, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Love your cookies girl! I am a little obsessed with ribbon so they are especially cute in my opinion! Very elegant! Also, I know Jessica already nominated you but I also nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award!

You can see it on my blog: http://www.piggyinpolkadots.blogspot.com

I hope you are having a super enjoyable day!

• themessybakerblog replied March 27th, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Shelley, thank you so much for The Versatile Blogger Award. I’m honored. I thought the ribbon was a cute touch, too. Thanks.

Nami | Just One Cookbook — March 27, 2012 at 7:09 pm

My gosh the chocolate cookies look delicious but even better when they sandwich ice cream!!! YUMMY. It’s my first time here and I browse around your blog – lots of delicious desserts and food. I am still new when it comes to baking and I get to learn a lot from your blog. :-)

• themessybakerblog replied March 27th, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I’m glad you made to my blog for a visit. I visited your blog for the first time today, too. What a beautiful site you have. I hope you can learn a thing or two about baking. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

juanitascocina — March 27, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Give me that professor’s name. I’ll smile at him to his face! :D

Food heals, Jennie. When I’m feeling bad, I go for the closest sweet thing around. Or, I cook and cook and cook!

Tomorrow will be a better day! Wanna drink?

• themessybakerblog replied March 27th, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Oh my gosh, I’d love a drink. Food always heals my soul, especially chocolate. I bake to forget about the day and to clear my head. Thanks, Jen.

Amy @ FragrantVanillaCake — March 27, 2012 at 7:38 pm

These intense chocolate cookies sound amazing! I love the idea of sandwiching them with ice cream as well, especially now that it is warming up outside!

Yin — March 27, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Hi Jennie:
    Thanks for your friend add in foodbuzz. Relly sweet blog you have here. Delicious baking and I like some of your cloth placemats and coasters, you made yourself?
    Are you into bread baking? Check out my blog for that.

• themessybakerblog replied March 27th, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Thanks, Yin. No, I didn’t make them. I purchased them from some Amish markets. I love bread, and I love baking bread. Thanks for visiting.

kaylakakes — March 27, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Looks great! I make ones similar to this, but I may have to try this recipe. It might be better than the one I use. :)

Tina@flourtrader — March 28, 2012 at 11:40 am

These do look wonderful with all those cracks revealing the true fudginess inside! I would sure like to put some of these in the cookie jar. The sandwiches with the ice cream looks like a great way to enjoy them also. Delicious post!

• themessybakerblog replied March 28th, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Thanks, Tina. I highly recommend putting some ice cream in between the cookies. Thanks for visiting my site.

missy — March 28, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Number1. I want to eat all of these.
    Number 2. I think we shop at the same store for plates
    Number 3. This means we both have awesome taste…in plates, and cookies.

Awesome blog post!

• themessybakerblog replied March 28th, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Thanks. I get my stuff on the cheap at Home Goods and Marshall’s. I suppose we’re just awesome! Thanks for visiting.

Kiri W. — March 28, 2012 at 9:34 pm

For smiling? He must have hated going back worse than you.
    These look fantastic! I am such a sucker for cookie ice cream sandwiches!

krimkus — March 28, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Oh my gosh! How crazy is that professor! Don’t let one cranky person ruin your day. You have a lovely smile and he should be happy to have you in his class. Looks like you found a good way to end the day on a happy note.

• themessybakerblog replied March 29th, 2012 at 9:35 am

Thank you so much. I took out my frustration through baking, and then proceeded to take down several cookies. It worked- I felt totally better!

krimkus — March 28, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Just in case my comment didn’t get through – something weird happened. Here’s a second try. . . .
    You have a lovely smile and that professor is crazy. I’m glad you found such a delicious way to end your day. :)

• themessybakerblog replied March 29th, 2012 at 9:36 am

For whatever reason, WordPress put you in the spam folder. Shame on it. Thank you for your lovely comments.

Choc Chip Uru — March 29, 2012 at 12:58 am

Gah I am quite overwhelmed by the pictures – I think I need a minute to just get my head stragith from so much deliciousness :D

Latest: Maple Raisin Ice Cream

Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) — March 29, 2012 at 3:26 am

Gorgeous clicks! I’d pick the first one. No. Wait. Maybe the second one. Umm.. I think I’ll try both. Heh.

RavieNomNoms — March 29, 2012 at 9:49 am

Oh these are just darling! I love that you wrapped them in ribbon. What a cute idea. They look soooooo delicious! :-D

The Chocolate Priestess — March 29, 2012 at 11:06 am

What a strange professor! Were you in a class about the Plague or the Holocaust or something?

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — March 29, 2012 at 3:47 pm

wow these look delicious! the ribbon is just adorable! omg that professor sounds horrible!

Stephanie — March 29, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Haha, I always have a hard time restraining myself when I am photographing a dessert! These cookies look awesome!

• themessybakerblog replied March 30th, 2012 at 9:58 am

Thanks, Stephanie. I try, but fail every time. My excuse is that it must be tasted in order to write about it.

Abby — March 30, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Baking really is the best way to unwind. Although music, friends and a beverage help too :) Gorgeous photos as always!

TastefullyJulie — March 30, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Your photos are beautiful! Not messy at all ;)

Dana — March 31, 2012 at 7:56 pm

These cookies look right up my ally! Chocolate! :-)

Bloggy (@FoodLoversClub) — April 2, 2012 at 1:24 am

I love this cookies, great work. I will surely make them myself as they are really too good. And good job with the ribbons.

• themessybakerblog replied April 2nd, 2012 at 7:57 am

Thank you so much. You won’t regret making them- they are so chewy and chocolatey. And, thanks for visiting.