Double Chocolate Banana Muffins

Today, because I love ya, I made muffins. These muffins combine two flavors that are meant for each other. I’m talking about chocolate and banana. If chocolate and banana were people, they’d fall in love, get married, and live happily ever after in a house with a white picket fence.

These muffins are super chocolatey. They have a chocolate base, and I added some chocolate chips for an extra boost of chocolatey goodness. The bananas and sour cream make these muffins extremely moist and gooey. If you have kids, they’ll love ‘em. Cinnamon is added to the mix to give the muffins a warm spiciness. It will cause the person eating the muffin to go “Hmm, what is that in the background?”

Look at the beautiful specks of banana peaking out the of muffin. Yum!

These muffins are a cinch to make. I whipped up the batter in 10 minutes and they only took about 15 minutes to bake. They’re perfect for breakfast with your morning coffee. They’re also wholesome, so they will fill your tummy.

Mmm, muffin lovin’. Enjoy!

Love and sweet treats,

1 large banana

1/2 cup sour cream

1 large egg

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup canola oil

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin. I used a jumbo muffin tin. This recipe will make 12 regular-size muffins or 6 jumbo muffins.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.

In a bowl of a mixer, whisk banana and sour cream together until combined. Add egg, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla extract, and whisk to combine. Fold in the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill each muffin tin a 1/3 of the way full.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until the tops of the muffins spring back, or a tooth pick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.

24 Responses to “Double Chocolate Banana Muffins”

Namitha — March 29, 2012 at 5:24 pm

OMG ! We must be twins ! I just finished taking pictures of some double choco banana muffins. Will be posting it soon :)

• themessybakerblog replied March 30th, 2012 at 10:00 am

That’s awesome. I’ll be sure to check your blog. They say great minds think alike.

Cheryl — March 30, 2012 at 8:10 am

They are moist and delicious and not overly sweet. It was an excellent addition to my morning coffee.

Peggy Labor (@feedthebf) — March 30, 2012 at 10:13 am

This looks like the perfect breakfast treat!

akismet-77cbf18926e13167a62ef95f9dc0f7cf — March 30, 2012 at 10:16 am

Mmm chocolate and bananas is such a great flavor combination!!

spiceblogger — March 30, 2012 at 11:44 am

You had me at “chocolate.” :D
    Chocolate and banana are wonderful combined together! These muffins look fantastic–wish i had a couple right now!

• themessybakerblog replied March 30th, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Thank you. Chocolate and banana are perfect together. They’re meant for each other.

Tina@flourtrader — March 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm

chocolate and banana? I will be right over, hope there are some of these tasty gems left! Especially since they look so moist and rich. Tasty post! Have a great weekend!

• themessybakerblog replied March 30th, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Tina, I’m sorry to say this, but they’re gone. The people in my household were hovering over me as I was making them. Baked goods don’t stand a chance in my kitchen.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — March 30, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Umm-YUM! And there’s bananas in them, so they’re healthyyy :P So it’s totes OK for me to eat 5

• themessybakerblog replied March 30th, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Totally! That’s how I justified eating a few of them. Lol.

Janet@FCTC — March 30, 2012 at 2:02 pm

One of my favorite quick breads is chocolate banana bread so I just KNOW I’d love these!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — March 30, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I just bought bananas this morning, so I’m thinking these would make for a good afternoon snack! :)

• themessybakerblog replied March 30th, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Morning, afternoon, late night. They’re tasty and moist. Let me know what you think. Enjoy.

Choc Chip Uru — March 30, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Excuse me but you are really mean to show these on screen and not share them ;)
    What a delicious chocolatey but heatlhy breakfast muffin – great post :D

• themessybakerblog replied March 30th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Thanks. I’ve been sitting on my computer drooling over all of your delicious nutella creations lately.

Amy @ FragrantVanillaCake — March 30, 2012 at 9:54 pm

These muffins sound delicious! I love banana and chocolate, and in a muffin like this, even better :)!

Nami | Just One Cookbook — March 31, 2012 at 2:30 am

Hi Jennie! Hmmm DOUBLE chocolate, sounds fantastic. My kids and I can finish the entire batch for breakfast (not leaving anything left for my poor husband!). Wish these are out Saturday breakfast… We’ll be eating either pancakes or waffle instead. Alas! Thanks for sharing the recipes so we can make them. =)

Maureen (@OrgasmicChef) — March 31, 2012 at 8:24 am

These muffins sound so good. Chocolate for deliciousness and banana for moistness and everything else for a big breakfasty smile.

Stephanie — March 31, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Double chocolate! This is my kind of muffin!

Starr — April 2, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Oooh, yes! Banana & chocolate is one of my favorite combinations… only a bit of peanut butter could make them even better.

Lauralovescakes — April 10, 2012 at 3:26 am

These look so tasty and moist…banana and chocolate in a muffin…so tasty! :-)

1. Pingback: Double Chocolate Banana Muffins | In the Kitchen with Kate