Strawberry Lemon Yogurt Muffins

I made a last minute decision to make muffins. They literally came out of the oven 20 minutes ago. I was perusing some of my favorite food blogs the other day, and I came across this recipe for strawberry yogurt muffins by bakerstreet. They looked amazing, so I had to make them. I’m glad I did because they are delicious.

The only thing different about my recipe is the addition of lemon zest and lemon juice. I love the combination of strawberries and lemon. I happened to have both in my refrigerator, so I went with it.

The recipe calls for almond flour. I didn’t have any, so I made my own. All I did was take 3/4 cups of blanched almonds and pulsed them in my food processor until they resembled wet sand.

The best part about this muffin is the almond and brown sugar topping. It gave the muffin a nice crunchy topping. So yummy!

The inside of this muffin is packed with fresh strawberries. Oh my, is this muffin moist! Enjoy.

Recipe:

adapted by bakerstreet

1 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 cup almond flour

3/4 cup sugar

1 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

2 eggs

1/2 cup vanilla yogurt

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 tbs. lemon juice

1-1/4 cups fresh strawberries, chopped

1-2 tablespoons brown sugar for sprinkling

1/4 cup sliced almonds

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.

In a small bowl, combine all-purpose flour, almond flour, sugar, baking soda, lemon zest, and nutmeg.

In another bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla yogurt, butter, and lemon juice. Stir into the dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in strawberries.

Fill muffin cups with batter. I use an ice cream scoop. It makes the job much easier.

Top with a sprinkling of brown sugar and sliced almonds

Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.

34 Responses to “Strawberry Lemon Yogurt Muffins”

Kristina — April 17, 2012 at 10:35 am

Omygosh yum! I was seriously just looking for a strawberry muffin yesterday, I was craving one of these for breakfast! Gorgeous pictures, those look fantastic!

• themessybakerblog replied April 17th, 2012 at 10:53 am

They are very tasty and super moist. I ate two in one sitting. I just couldn’t help myself.

2katjaskitchen — April 17, 2012 at 12:06 pm

These look fantastic! I love that you used fresh ingredients rather than extracts!

• themessybakerblog replied April 17th, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Thanks. I prefer using fresh ingredients when ever I can. They really liven up the dish.

TastefullyJulie — April 17, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Yummy. I love strawberry quick breads and muffins!

SprungAtLast — April 17, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Your photography is really lovely. I had tried a similar recipe for Strawberry Lemonade muffins, which was good, but I like your approach with the almonds.

Angie@Angie's Recipes — April 18, 2012 at 12:35 am

They look wonderful! Bet they taste as great as they look!

• themessybakerblog replied April 18th, 2012 at 10:24 am

They’re super yummy. My co-workers and classmate loved them.

Food Stories — April 18, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I love muffins and these look fantastic!

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — April 18, 2012 at 2:58 pm

these look delicious Jennie! and i love the cupcake liner lol…so cute! we totally were on the same page – i just made some strawberry meyer lemon muffins yesterday as well :)

Lacy @ NYCityEats — April 18, 2012 at 3:24 pm

This sounds incredible! I love the addition of lemon with the strawberry and that you made your own almond flour! Bravo! That’s impressive! Your muffins look delicious, 20 minutes out of the oven most of these would be gone! Yum!

• themessybakerblog replied April 18th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Thanks, Lacy. The almond flour was a quick decision. I mean, who keeps almond flour on hand? Not me. It gave the muffins a lovely sweetness. Oh, they’re gone.

Tina@flourtrader — April 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm

The flavor combination in this muffin makes for a delicious winner! It has been awhile since I have had any muffins, so this may be one for breakfast very soon. Your pictures are stunning. Delicious post!

• themessybakerblog replied April 18th, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Thanks, Tina. If you try the recipe, let me know what you think.

Missy — April 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I think I will make muffins tonight. This inspired me. I am also ging to exercise. Your blog is good for me!!

• themessybakerblog replied April 18th, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Glad I inspired you. I have to exercise so I can eat all the goodies I make. I’m trying to balance things out.

Baking Serendipity — April 18, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I love the lemon and strawberry flavors! Such a perfect spring muffin :)

Cass @foodmyfriend — April 19, 2012 at 12:50 am

Isn’t the top of the muffin just the best part? :) I love that picture of it all ripped off and crispy :) Great muffins!

• themessybakerblog replied April 19th, 2012 at 9:49 am

I always eat the top of the muffin first. It really is the best part. Thanks for the lovely comments and for visiting my site.

Annie Oakley's Kitchen — April 19, 2012 at 8:42 am

Those do look amazing! Good call on the addition of lemon!

Sofie Dittmann @thegermanfoodie — April 19, 2012 at 9:33 am

Muffins are such a nice, rewarding, easy thing to make short notice – and these look particularly good, especially w/ my favorite fruit, strawberries!

Nina — April 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Oh wow..they look super moist. Yummy yummy! Strawberries are my fav cant wait to bake some:)

Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) — April 20, 2012 at 7:27 am

I’m so glad you liked this recipe. Your muffins look fantastic. :)

Natalie — April 20, 2012 at 9:24 am

These look so good! I love muffins with a surprise inside!

FoodBabbles — April 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Aren’t these muffins divine?!? You should join Muffin Monday!! I do Muffin Monday from Baker Street and it’s great to have fresh muffins every week. Love your variation on this muffin! I’m a big fan of strawberry and lemon together also. I too amped up the lemon factor and I love your addition of almonds. Yum!

• Liz replied April 22nd, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Oh, I bet the yogurt makes this muffins moist and delicious! And I love the addition of strawberries….mmmmmm.

Steph@stephsbitebybite — April 27, 2012 at 2:13 pm

What a great last minute decision! These sound perfect for spring!

Choc Chip Uru — April 27, 2012 at 4:31 pm

An impulsive baking win for sure – I love how fresh and moist they look :D
    And my heart belongs to Strawberries :)

Vicki @ WITK — April 29, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I love baked goods made with almond flour! These muffins sound delicious, I could eat them all week!

• themessybakerblog replied April 29th, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Thanks, Vicki. The almond flour really made the muffins exceptionally delicious. I could eat them all week too, and I did.

April — April 29, 2012 at 7:43 pm

This looks awesome! I love the addition of yogurt, great muffin recipe!!