Red Potato & Grilled Corn Salad ~ #SundaySupper

Happy Sunday! Today’s #SundaySupper theme is garden recipes. I was thrilled when I found out what this weeks theme was going to be. I love growing fresh herbs in the summer and using them in my recipes. They really brighten a dish. I made red potato and grilled corn salad with a chipotle lime vinaigrette for this week’s #SundaySupper. It’s perfect for summer picnics, barbecues, and deck parties. Not only is this salad delicious, it’s healthy. There is no mayo in this salad.

This salad is full of fresh garden ingredients:  red potatoes, radishes, grilled sweet corn, scallions, and fresh cilantro.

The vinaigrette that tops the salad is amazing. It’s made with spicy chipotles, tart limes, and sweet honey. Sweet, tart, and spicy is my favorite combination.

This salad is extremely easy to throw together. That’s what I love about. If you have a last minute party to attend, don’t worry, this salad can be made in 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Check out the other garden recipes that my fellow foodie friends are cookin’ up for this weeks #SundaySupper:

Cocktails and Wine Pairings:

1 lb. red potatoes, scrubbed and chunked into 1-inch cubes

3 ears fresh corn, husked

6 radishes, thinly sliced

2 scallions, thinly sliced

1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

2 tbs. fresh lime juice

2 tbs. chipotle in adobo (I keep a bowl in my fridge already chopped and ready to use)

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 cup light olive oil

4 tsp. honey

pinch of cayenne

salt and pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan cover potatoes with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. When the water begins to boil, add some salt to flavor the potatoes, about 1/4 cup. Reduce heat to medium and cook potatoes until tender when pierced with a knife or fork, about 15 minutes. When the potatoes are tender, drain and rinse with cold water. Add potatoes to a large bowl.

While the potatoes are cooking, preheat a gas or charcoal grill (feel free to use an indoor grill). Drizzle corn with olive oil and salt and pepper. Cook the corn directly over the heat until the kernels are brown all over, turning often, about 8 minutes. Remove from grill and set aside. When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut kernels off the cob. Add corn, scallions, radishes, and cilantro to the bowl with the cooked potatoes.

In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, chipotle in adobo, garlic, honey, and cayenne. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour vinaigrette over potato mixture. Toss to combine. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

51 Responses to “Red Potato & Grilled Corn Salad ~ #SundaySupper”

Adam J. Holland — May 6, 2012 at 8:06 am

It might be only 7 a.m., but I’m wanting this right now. Excellent. Bookmarked!

• themessybakerblog replied May 6th, 2012 at 10:33 am

Thanks, Adam. I eat lunch for breakfast sometimes. It feels naughty.

Renee Dobbs — May 6, 2012 at 8:33 am

Perfect side dish to steaks cooked on the grill!

• themessybakerblog replied May 6th, 2012 at 10:34 am

Thanks, Renee. It would do perfect with a big, juicy steak.

juanitascocina — May 6, 2012 at 8:42 am

Mmmmmmm. I love the cilantro and adobo in this! I’m pinning this one, my dear. AWESOME recipe!

chefconnie — May 6, 2012 at 9:27 am

I was trying to figure out what to serve with a brunch today. I am serving your salad. Lovely picture!

• themessybakerblog replied May 6th, 2012 at 10:37 am

Wow, thank you. I feel so honored. Let me know how you like it.

• chefconnie replied May 6th, 2012 at 10:45 am

Definately.

Tracy — May 6, 2012 at 12:35 pm

This sounds so great for a summer BBQ. Can’t wait to try it! You make it look so delicious. .

Isabelle @ Crumb — May 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm

This looks like a great salad for BBQ season… I bet it would be the perfect pairing with a big juicy steak fresh off the grill! :) I just love that bright pop of colour from the radishes and corn, too.

• themessybakerblog replied May 6th, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Thank you, Isabelle. I agree, it would go great with a big ol’ steak.

Food Stories — May 6, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I love a salad sans mayo & this looks tasty :-)

• themessybakerblog replied May 6th, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Thank you. In the summer, I think mayo is too heavy.

Choc Chip Uru — May 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm

This is one sunday supper you would be hardpressed to miss – looks awesome :D

Kelsey @ K&K Test Kitchen — May 6, 2012 at 6:42 pm

This salad sounds amazing! I need to make this soon for sure!

Baking Serendipity — May 6, 2012 at 9:12 pm

This looks so good! I feel like I always go to bbqs with a mayonaissed potato salad. So excited to have an alternate!

Stephanie — May 6, 2012 at 10:49 pm

This looks so delicious! I love potatoes salads that don’t use mayo. This is perfect for a BBQ!

• Becky replied May 8th, 2012 at 7:03 am

I love this salad, so simple, but full of flavor. especially with the /chipotle Lime Dressing.

Comgrats on the Top 9 today!

• themessybakerblog replied May 8th, 2012 at 9:14 am

Thanks, Becky. I was thrilled when I saw it on the top 9 list this morning.

Sofie Dittmann @thegermanfoodie — May 8, 2012 at 9:49 am

Congrats on the top 9! This is a great salad, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE potatoes!

• themessybakerblog replied May 8th, 2012 at 11:40 am

Thanks, Sofie. It is now one of my favorite salad recipes.

DB-The Foodie Stuntman — May 8, 2012 at 11:13 am

Congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — May 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm

this looks delicious Jennie! and that chipotle lime dressing sounds super amazing!

Carla — May 8, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Now I know why this made the top 9!! The radishes kinda throw me off a little, but I love red potatoes and corn. Saving this recipe for sure!!

• themessybakerblog replied May 8th, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Thanks, Carla. The radishes add a lovely crisp crunch to the mix.

FoodBabbles — May 8, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Ooo! This salad sounds amazing! So fresh and I just want to dive right into it.

Anne@FromMySweetHeart — May 9, 2012 at 1:18 am

Hi Jennie! So glad to have found you on Foodbuzz and that we are neighbors, sort of! I live in Montgomery County….near Bethesda! I love your blog and I love this potato salad. I grow fresh herbs in the spring and summer, too. This potato salad looks so fresh and bright….love that there is no mayo here. I’m looking forward to seeing all the scrumptious things you cook up! : )

• themessybakerblog replied May 9th, 2012 at 8:50 am

Thanks, Ann. You’re only about 40 minutes away from me. I love having blog neighbors. Thanks for your lovely comments.

cookingactress — May 9, 2012 at 8:09 am

I’ve never heard of this before! Such a great idea!

• themessybakerblog replied May 9th, 2012 at 8:51 am

Thanks, Kayle. I found the recipe in a magazine, and I changed it around a bit to suit my tastes. The results were delicious.

kale — May 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Looks delicious, fresh, and perfect for spring! Love that there’s no mayo in there, too.

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — May 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm

What a fresh and flavorful summer meal! I make something similar with potatoes, fresh corn, dill butter, and fish all wrapped up in aluminum foil and thrown onto the grill. If you’re interested, it’s called my “New England Seafood Bake”!

cravingsofalunatic — May 10, 2012 at 12:46 am

Oh my this is gorgeous. I love how you’ve combined things I would not have thought of here. I must try this one.

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Culinary Indulgence — May 10, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I love your Sunday Supper Ideas! I just nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award on my latest post! To accept check it out : )

Lovely Pantry — May 11, 2012 at 12:24 am

What a lovely salad! I love all the ingredients except the cilantro… Whenever I see it, I substitute with parsley or something. This is a great side dish. Pinning it :-)

Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) — May 14, 2012 at 10:59 am

What a lovely salad! I’ve missed two #SundaySupper’s in a row and feel really bad. Will be sure to join in the next one. :)

• themessybakerblog replied May 14th, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Ana, missed the last one and felt terrible, too. I have been so busy with school. Finals- ugh! Thanks for the lovely compliment.

BinomialBaker — May 15, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Just popped in to let you know that I gave you some awards: http://binomialbaker.blogspot.com/2012/05/death-by-oreos-cupcakes.html

shannon — May 15, 2012 at 5:20 pm

jennie, this week you all really outdid yourself with the Sunday Supper. i love, love, LOVE your salad. i have a tiny weakness for salads with corn in them, and the combination of the corn, the potatoes and all the other good things sounds amazing. can’t wait to try this!

• themessybakerblog replied May 16th, 2012 at 8:48 am

Thanks, Shannon. I adore this salad. It’s a perfect summer salad.

Tina@flourtrader — May 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm

These are great elements for a southwestern salad! I hardly see that much of radishes, except in leaf salads, so I like that you used it here. Also, the dressing does spark and interest as well with notes of citrus and heat. Well done!

machisan — May 17, 2012 at 11:16 am

Wow, this looks so delicious! =)

bestfoodies — May 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Yum….what a great combo….I will leave out cilantro though…just not a fan.. but all the rest count me in! Just found your site thru your twitter…glad to be here!

• themessybakerblog replied May 18th, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Thanks for finding me and for the lovely comments.

1. Pingback: Friday Fun! March 11, 2012