Maple Nut Granola

I’m extremely happy to be back after missing in action for almost two weeks. I’d like to apologize to all of my followers for my short sabbatical from blogging. I have been extremely busy with school. You know, all the boring things that need to be done in order to graduate. I’ve spent hours at my computer typing up a 2o-page research paper on an eighteenth-century gothic novelist. Blehk! Boring. I’d much rather talk about food. But, in today’s world, you have to be certified smart. You just can’t walk around telling people you’re smart. No, you have to have a piece of paper that says, “Hey, this girl really is smart. Here’s the paperwork.” I suppose some good came out of all of my hard work. My professor approached me yesterday and had nothing but good things to say about my paper. He wants me to consider publishing it. What? Me, publish a paper. I was completely shocked and totally honored that he considered my paper worthy enough to publish. Who knows, I may be a published author soon. I’m thrilled!

It felt great to get back in the kitchen. I haven’t held a whisk in almost two weeks. I almost didn’t know what to do with it. Just kidding. I was born with a whisk in my hand. I decided to make my maple nut granola. I’ve been stress eating a lot lately. I mean, a lot! I need something to balance out all of the stress donuts, s’mores, and cupcakes. Granola sounded like an awesome snack, so I went with it.

This granola is super easy to make, and it’s so good. You can’t even tell that you’re eating something healthy. First things first. Dump all of your dry ingredients into a large bowl.

Stir to combine. Easy, right?

Whisk the wet ingredients together.

Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until all of the ingredients are equally coated with the syrup mixture.

Line two sheet pans with parchment paper, and spread the mixture evenly onto the pan. Bake at 250 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until the granola is a toasty, light brown color.

Feel free to eat the granola by the fist full (I do it all the time), or sprinkle it over greek yogurt and top it with fresh berries for breakfast.

Greek yogurt sprinkled with granola is my favorite breakfast. It’s quick, healthy, and filling. It keeps me full until lunch. I can’t say that for too many other breakfast items.

Mmm, a heaping pile of granola- yum! This granola is full of good stuff. Tons of oats, flaky coconut, piles of nuts and seeds, and dried cherries.

A spoonful of this will make you happy. Trust me. Enjoy!

Love and sweet treats,

1 cup whole almonds

1 cup whole pecans

1 1/2 cups dried cherries or cranberries

3/4 cup pure maple syrup

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup + 1 tbs. canola oil

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine oats, coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, pecans, and dried cherries. Stir to combine.

In a medium-sized bowl, combine maple syrup, honey, and canola oil. Whisk to combine. Slowly add the syrup mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir until all of the dry ingredients are equally coated with the syrup mixture.

Divide the mixture equally among the two sheet pans. Spread the mixture evenly onto the pans. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the mixture becomes light brown in color, stirring the mixture every 15 minutes. Let cool completely on sheet pans before serving and storing.

Eat the granola by itself or sprinkle over greek yogurt and top with fresh fruit. Enjoy!

46 Responses to “Maple Nut Granola”

juanitascocina — May 18, 2012 at 7:41 am

Welcome back!

Yesterday, I had granola for lunch. That I bought from…the store! *gasp* I need to make this!

• themessybakerblog replied May 18th, 2012 at 8:36 am

Thanks, Jen. It feels so good to be back. I love granola. I’m eating it for breakfast.

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — May 18, 2012 at 8:51 am

Congrats on writing that impressive paper for your professor!! I bet that was a great feeling when he told you should think about publishing it!
    That granola sounds super good, too! I am always looking for portable, healthy snacks to have with me!

Cathy W — May 18, 2012 at 10:16 am

Great looking granola! :) My daughter just finished her last paper this week, too…I don’t envy either of you. Congrats for doing so well (and making such tasty stuff)!

• themessybakerblog replied May 18th, 2012 at 10:54 am

Thank you, Cathy. I wouldn’t envy us either. Thank you for the lovely comments. Good luck to you daughter.

Choc Chip Uru — May 18, 2012 at 10:43 am

Welcome back my friend! I have missed your posts!!!
    This granola looks simply divine and I know I will love it!

• themessybakerblog replied May 18th, 2012 at 10:53 am

Thanks, dear. I missed blogging and all of my lovely followers. You’ll be seeing plenty of me over the next few months.

Tina@flourtrader — May 18, 2012 at 11:11 am

Granola does make for the best snack, very filling and healthy. Also, your choice of flavor -maple nut, makes it very open to using it in several different ways. Glad you finally got a chance to post. Enjoy the weekend!

• themessybakerblog replied May 18th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Thanks, Tina. I’m so glad to be back. I missed everyone.

Rayna — May 18, 2012 at 11:47 am

This looks delicious. I’m not a fan of yogurt, but I have to eat it and topping it with granola is the only way I will eat it. I’m gonna try this recipe.

• themessybakerblog replied May 18th, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Thanks, Rayna. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think.

cookingactress — May 18, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Congrats on your paper! THAT’S AMAZING! You totally deserve it, good for you! :)

Steph@stephsbitebybite — May 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm

What a great way to get back in to the kitchen!! This looks FAB

elena-sweetlife — May 18, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Your granola looks amazing! Congrats on your paper !

Food Stories — May 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I know what you mean about having to prove you’re smart. I’m a nurse that works in healthcare administration. In the beginning, I was not taken too seriously and didn’t advance. I went to get a healthcare MBA and overnight was taken extremely serious by the C-suite people. Best of luck on getting published & love the granola recipe … Happy Weekend :-)

• themessybakerblog replied May 18th, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Thank you so much. You have to prove yourself every step of the way, and that piece of paper works wonders. It’s an expensive little piece of paper, too.

Peggy — May 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Congrats on the paper! I’m sure it’s exciting enough to be done with it, let alone be on the verge of possibly publishing it! This granola sounds great =)

• themessybakerblog replied May 18th, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Thanks, Peggy! I am beyond excited, but I’m also glad the semester is over.

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — May 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm

yay, you’re back!!! Congrats on the paper and good luck with getting it published :) that is so awesome! this looks like delicious granola, i definitely need to make it!

• themessybakerblog replied May 18th, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Thanks, Jenn! I’m thrilled to be back. I miss baking and eating.

Maggie — May 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Hey there, I just became friends with you on FoodBuzz, so I had to check out your site! For some reason – as much as I love granola and as easy at it looks to make – it NEVER turns out for me! Then again, maybe I’m not trying hard enough (an excuse to eat more oats and pancakes…mmmm!!)

• themessybakerblog replied May 18th, 2012 at 5:35 pm

It’s very nice to meet you, Maggie. Hmmm, I wonder why it never turns out. I’ve made this recipe at least ten times. Hey, pancakes sound delish. I can tear down an entire stack, no problem.

Stephanie — May 18, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I love granola so much! This looks fantastic! Perfect to eat alone, on yogurt, or as cereal!

• themessybakerblog replied May 18th, 2012 at 10:05 pm

All of those things sound so good. I love snackin’ on it.

Christine — May 19, 2012 at 12:48 am

Welcome back! Granola looks great.

Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) — May 19, 2012 at 9:40 am

Love the way you served granola! It surely is a healthy snack that is very welcome in our house. Good to have you back :)

• themessybakerblog replied May 19th, 2012 at 11:50 am

I’m addicted to the stuff. Thanks. It feels good to be back.

Kelsey @ K&K Test Kitchen — May 19, 2012 at 10:53 am

Wow, congrats on your paper and graduation!

This granola sounds awesome. I also love Greek yogurt and granola for breakfast, so I’m always on the lookout for new granola recipes. Thanks for sharing!

• themessybakerblog replied May 19th, 2012 at 11:50 am

Thanks for visiting, Kelsey. This granola is amazing. I just made it, and it’s almost gone.

Baking Serendipity — May 19, 2012 at 2:09 pm

This is so pretty layered in the mason jar! I love homemade granola and yours looks wonderful! So glad you are back and that paper is done :)

• themessybakerblog replied May 19th, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Thank you so much. I love homemade granola, too. The store bought stuff just doesn’t cut it.

Kristina — May 21, 2012 at 9:49 am

Congrats on your paper! That would be so cool to be published, good luck!!

Love your maple nut granola recipe too! Granola’s the best snack, I love the dried cherries and coconut in yours! Yum yum :)

• themessybakerblog replied May 21st, 2012 at 11:27 am

Thanks, Kristina. The coconut gives the granola a lovely sweetness.

skinnysimplerecipes — June 11, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I’ve never tried homemade granola but your’s just looks amazing as well as your photos. Thanks for sharing

Rachel — September 3, 2012 at 2:17 pm

LOVE homemade granola…Especially those that are heavy on the nuts & seeds. I’d have to leave out the coconut (I’m a weirdo who doesn’t like it!), but this recipe sounds brilliant!

• Jennie replied September 3rd, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Thanks for visiting, Rachel. I’m not a huge fan of coconut, either, but you barely notice it in this recipe. It’s there to add a touch of sweetness.

1. Pingback: farmers’ market monday: grilled corn salad. | A Periodic Table

2. Pingback: stolen ice cream + awards, thank you. | A Periodic Table

3. Pingback: you’re invited: state fair birthday party. | A Periodic Table

4. Pingback: vanilla almond granola. | A Periodic Table

5. Pingback: Maple Walnut Granola ~ Plus a $100 @FreundContainer Gift Certificate #Giveaway! | Juanita's Cocina

6. Pingback: What’s Been Happenin’ In The Cocina ~ 5/26/12 | Juanita's Cocina