Cheesecake with Fresh Berries ~ #SundaySupper

Yay! It’s time for another #SundaySupper celebration. I was unable to attend last Sunday because of that dreaded 20-page research paper, but I’m back, and I couldn’t be more excited. We are  celebrating Cristina Ferrare’s cookbook for #SundaySupper this week. I don’t personally own her cookbook, but I hear it’s amazing. I chose a recipe from her website, which is absolutely beautiful.

You can find Cristina on the Oprah Winfrey Network, Foodily, and on her site. Her recipes are amazing. I made her cheesecake with fresh berries, and it does not disappoint. The filling is smooth and creamy with a hint of lemon. The entire cake gets topped with fresh summer berries and glazed with a sweet sauce. It’s excellent!

This is the first cheesecake I have ever made that didn’t crack. I was thrilled. I felt like a real professional. I thought to myself, “Dang, it didn’t crack. Well I’ll be darned. This cake is a winner.” I took it out of the oven and it was all smooth on top. I was theatrically clapping like a small child. What can I say, a smooth cheesecake makes this girl happy.

Oooo, look at the sweet strawberry sauce dripping down the sides of the ripe berries. That’s a dreamy sight, indeed.

Happy #SundaySupper. A big thank you to Cristina Ferrare for joining us this Sunday. Enjoy your time around the family table.

Make sure you check out the other Cristina Ferrare recipes my fellow #SundaySupper foodies are cookin’ up:

XO,

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tsp. lemon zest

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

TOPPING

1 pint fresh strawberries, halved and arranged on top of the cake

1/4 cup strawberry jam

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

To make the crust:  In the bowl of a food processor, add 1 cup of pecans. Pulse the pecans until they become a fine crumb. In a medium-size bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, pecan crumbs, sugar, cinnamon, and butter until moistened. Using the bottom of a glass, press the crumbs into the bottom of a 10-inch by 3-inch springform pan. Bake for 15 minutes, and cool completely.

To make the filling:  In a mixer using the paddle attachment, mix the cream cheese for two minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add 1 cup of sugar in an even stream, and mix for 2 more minutes, until light and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition to incorporate thoroughly, and scrape down the sides of the bowl each time. Add the  of sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla. Process until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Pour the filling into the cooled crust, and spread evenly in the pan. Lift the pan and tap it on the counter several times to release any bubbles in the batter. Bake for 1 hour, or until the top is set. If it wiggles slightly, that’s okay. Do not overbake.

Cool the cake completely in the pan overnight. On the next day, release the springform pan from the cake. Arrange the halved strawberries attractively on top of the cake. Heat 1/4 cup of strawberry jam in the microwave for about 40 seconds. Using a pastry brush, brush the strawberries with the jam to give it a sweet, shiny coating. Slice and serve. Enjoy!

98 Responses to “Cheesecake with Fresh Berries ~ #SundaySupper”

rosemary — May 19, 2012 at 9:57 pm

This cheesecake looks beautiful and yummy!!!

Supper for a Steal (@supperforasteal) — May 19, 2012 at 10:45 pm

This looks so good! I’m not a big fan of baking, AKA I don’t like to measure, but I LOVE cheesecake and strawberries. Maybe I can make an exception :)

juanitascocina — May 19, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Beautiful!

And I would have clapped with you!!!

Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) — May 20, 2012 at 2:27 am

You picked a great recipe! I would love to come over for a slice or two. :)

• themessybakerblog replied May 20th, 2012 at 8:42 am

Come on over. I had a slice last night because I couldn’t resist. It is amazing. Thanks, An.

Choc Chip Uru — May 20, 2012 at 5:22 am

Congrats on the lack of crack my friend – I just made a cheesecake but it is all gone now so my cravings are once more opened up thanks to your amazing one :D

P.S I was wondering whether your sharing on Foodbuzz was working – mine has completely stopped even though I am on the opt in option – I have contacted the support team whose techical team is looking into it but I am receiving no shared posts and when I share mine, it says they are sent when they haven’t – any help would be great :)

• Liz replied May 20th, 2012 at 7:00 am

Oh, how I love cheesecake…especially one topped with berries! This recipe sounds perfect! Happy #SundaySupper!

• themessybakerblog replied May 20th, 2012 at 8:44 am

Thanks, Liz! Happy Sunday to you, too.

• themessybakerblog replied May 20th, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thanks, Uru. I was thrilled. Oh, I don’t think this cake is going to last long, either.

Renee Dobbs (@reneedobbs) — May 20, 2012 at 7:06 am

What a beautiful cheesecake! I want a slice right now. Perfect for strawberry season.

• themessybakerblog replied May 20th, 2012 at 8:45 am

Too bad there’s not time travel. I could beam you a slice :) Thanks, Renee. Happy Sunday!

Sofie Dittmann @thegermanfoodie — May 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm

great post, accompanied by great pictures! another wonderful way to enjoy strawberries!

Katherine Martinelli — May 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm

This cheesecake really does look perfect!!! I love all the fresh strawberries.

Sasha — May 20, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Looks luscious! I love strawberries. And yay you on your professional baking prowess!! :)

kale — May 20, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I absolutely love cheesecake and have never once made it!! I really need to. This looks perfect, Jennie!

• themessybakerblog replied May 21st, 2012 at 6:57 am

Thanks, Kale. It was so good. You’ve never made one? Oh, you must. I have to warn you, it’s addictive.

sprint2thetable — May 20, 2012 at 11:34 pm

So pretty! I just bought my first strawberries of the season – they smelled so delicious and ripe I nearly bought wayyy more than I needed!

• themessybakerblog replied May 21st, 2012 at 6:58 am

Thanks, Laura. I always buy more fruit than necessary. It all looks so delicious and pretty that I just can’t help myself.

Lovely Pantry — May 21, 2012 at 1:12 am

So awesome! I would have clapped too. Its just the little things, you know? lol I haven’t’ had a cheese cake in ages! Its my favourite but I have no restraint. :-) Yours is lovely!

• themessybakerblog replied May 21st, 2012 at 6:59 am

Thanks, Lyn. I have no restraint, either. I’ve been giving away slices just so it doesn’t stay in my house and I eat it all.

Family Foodie — May 21, 2012 at 1:26 am

Just gorgeous! Your photography on this Cheesecake is unbelievable… can I take a bite through the screen?

• themessybakerblog replied May 21st, 2012 at 7:00 am

Thank you, Isabel. I wish we had food time travel or something. Then, I could beam you over a piece.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — May 21, 2012 at 2:33 am

This is absolutely gorgeous. And congrats on the no-crack cheesecake! I’ve made so many cheesecakes and they’ve all cracked so I know how joyous it must be to have a non-cracked one!

• themessybakerblog replied May 21st, 2012 at 7:01 am

Thanks. I was thrilled. They always crack, but not this one.

Villy — May 21, 2012 at 7:02 am

Even though I prefer the non-baked version of cheesecake, this ones looks gorgeous!! Lovely colors and great presentation!

• themessybakerblog replied May 21st, 2012 at 8:17 am

Thanks, Villy. The non-baked version is super simple, but this cake is divine.

bestfoodies — May 21, 2012 at 7:29 am

What a beautiful cheesecake. I love that you got so excited over the no crack. Clapping is totally acceptable!

machisan — May 21, 2012 at 10:18 am

Oh I am drooling over here!

Lacy @ NYCityEats — May 21, 2012 at 12:40 pm

This looks wonderful!! I’m yet to make a full sized cheesecake that didn’t crack! Job well done!! :) All those strawberries on top…mmm, I want a slice!

• themessybakerblog replied May 21st, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Thanks, Lacy. Come on over. I have some left over.

bigbearswife — May 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Oh wow! How beautiful is that! I’d love to have some of that. I feel like I can smell those amazing strawberries from here!

• themessybakerblog replied May 21st, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Thanks, Angie. The strawberries were so ripe and sweet.

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — May 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm

that is one seriously beautiful cheesecake! awesome job, jennie!

Food Stories — May 21, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Jennie … You have been nominated for my NEW Food Stories Award for Excellence in Storytelling. Check out my site for the details (foodstoriesblog dot com).

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — May 21, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Jennie, this is one hell of a gorgeous cheesecake! Oddly, I’ve never made cheesecake before but I think I’ll start this summer! Great recipe, thanks for sharing and also for entering my ChicWrap giveaway!

• themessybakerblog replied May 21st, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Thanks, Georgia. Oh my, you must make a cheesecake, but I’m going to warn you, they’re addictive. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I win one of those very cool ChickWraps.

Baking Serendipity — May 22, 2012 at 12:47 am

I have such a weakness for cheesecake and this one with the strawberry topping is perfect for summer!

Anita at Hungry Couple — May 22, 2012 at 10:49 am

It looks amazing! Strawberry cheesecake is one of my all time favorite things in this world. If I make one there better be a crowd coming over because I definitely cannot be trusted with it! :)

• themessybakerblog replied May 22nd, 2012 at 11:11 am

I know. I made the mistake of not having it for a family dinner, and I’ve been eating it piece by piece since Sunday. I’m going to need major time on my bike. Thanks, Anita.

El Oso con Botas — May 23, 2012 at 4:07 am

Looks really delicious. I like your pics also. Thanks to For the Love of Feeding blog I found you marvellous blog :)

• themessybakerblog replied May 23rd, 2012 at 7:13 am

Thank you so much. I’m so glad you found my site.

Conni Smith — May 23, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Oh my goodness, I am DROOLING!!!! I love cheesecake!!! Great #SundaySupper post! I’ve been visiting all of them this morning, and I am seriously getting hungry here! :)

• themessybakerblog replied May 23rd, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Thanks, Connie. I love it when my food causes drooling. It means I’ve done my job.

Sarah — May 23, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Stunning! Can imagine this at a nice garden party or picnic!

• themessybakerblog replied May 23rd, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Thanks, Sarah. A garden party and picnic sound like fun. This cocktail would fit right in.

Amy @ FragrantVanillaCake — May 23, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Beautiful cheesecake! I would love a large slice of this! The strawberries on top are so perfect for spring!

• themessybakerblog replied May 23rd, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Thanks, Amy. I’ve been eating big ol’ slices all week. I have a cheesecake weakness.

Stephanie — May 23, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I love cheesecake and I love all those strawberries on top! Perfect!

cookingactress — May 24, 2012 at 9:21 am

This is like…my boyfriend’s idea of heaven. Omigoodness!

Kim Bee — June 7, 2012 at 12:38 am

This is really stunning. It looks like one from a bakery it’s so pretty. You have a ton of talent. I am now craving cheesecake.

Joy — June 24, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Your cheesecake looks wonderful! However, unless I’m missing something the oven temperature is missing from this recipe. Not sure if it’s crucial, but thought you might want to know. :)

Enjoy your day!

• Jennie replied June 24th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Thank you for noticing that, Joy. I don’t know how I missed such a crucial instruction. I just updated the post. Thank you!

sheila — December 13, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I just made this cheesecake. Im topping it with sliced kiwis though. Mine came out with no crack in the top, but as it cooled the middle sunk in :(

• Jennie replied December 22nd, 2012 at 8:50 am

Oh no, Shelia, I’m so sorry that your middle sunk. It’s supposed to sink slightly in the center as the cake cools and settles. How did you like the flavor/texture of the cheesecake? I love that you topped it with kiwis. Yum!

1. Pingback: Pesto Pasta Recipe for #SundaySupper

2. Pingback: Seafood Risotto | Magnolia Days

3. Pingback: Heart Healthy Roasted Beet with Wild Arugula & Goat Cheese Salad #SundaySupper

4. Pingback: Spaghetti and Meatballs ~ #SundaySupper with Cristina Ferrare | Juanita's Cocina

5. Pingback: Fall Off The Bone Chicken for #SundaySupper - Lovely Pantry | Lovely Pantry

6. Pingback: Sunday Supper Cristina Ferrare Big Bowl of Love Recipes

7. Pingback: Red Snapper with Soy Glaze and Cucumber Salsa for #SundaySupper « Beetle's Kitchen Escapades

8. Pingback: Double Chocolate Chip Cookies | Cooking a Blue Streak

9. Pingback: Double Chocolate Chip Cookies | #SundaySupper | May 20, 2012 | The Foodie Army Wife

10. Pingback: Sunday Supper Recipes

11. Pingback: Dorie’s Chicken in a Pot for #SundaySupper’s First BirthdayHip Foodie Mom | Hip Foodie Mom

12. Pingback: Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken from The Meltaways for #SundaySupper — Cupcakes & Kale Chips

13. Pingback: Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo Recipe for #SundaySupper

14. Pingback: Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew #SundaySupper

15. Pingback: Cherry Tart for a Special Birthday #SundaySupper | Happy Baking Days

16. Pingback: Asian Meatballs for #SundaySupper’s First Birthday! | gotta get baked

17. Pingback: Wine Pairings for #SundaySupper Birthday Celebration - ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

18. Pingback: Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinade #SundaySupper | Peanut Butter and Peppers

19. Pingback: Easy Italian Wedding Soup #SundaySupper | Webicurean

20. Pingback: Polish Hunter's Stew {Bigos} for #SundaySupper | MarocMama

21. Pingback: Budget Friendly Breakfast – Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches #SundaySupper

22. Pingback: Skillet Corn and Edamame with Spinach and Bacon | Lovely Pantry

23. Pingback: Anniversary Gathering for #SundaySupper Featuring: Cheesecake with Fresh Strawberries | An Appealing Plan

24. Pingback: Nutella Shortbread Bars for #SundaySupper | kelly bakes

25. Pingback: Happy Birthday #SundaySupper Pork Ragu and mini mac and cheese cups | Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends

26. Pingback: Tomato Florentine Soup and A Special #SundaySupper Birthday! | Mama.Mommy.Mom.

27. Pingback: Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle & Happy Birthday #SundaySupper | Cravings of a Lunatic

28. Pingback: Caramel Apple Bread | It’s Your Birthday #SundaySupper! | The Foodie Army Wife

29. Pingback: Chicken Burger/CurrySlaw #SundaySupper - Cindy's Recipes and Writings

30. Pingback: Honey Butter Dinner Rolls #SundaySupper | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts

31. Pingback: Spiced nuts. Sweet N spicy roasted spiced nuts

32. Pingback: Shrimp Twice Baked Potatoes | Cheesy, Shrimp Stuffed in a Potato Skin | The Daily Dish Recipes

33. Pingback: Carrot Gratin of the Gods

34. Pingback: Hand Pies #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere

35. Pingback: Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP #SundaySupper | Noshing With The Nolands

36. Pingback: Pulled Pickled Pork ~ #SundaySupper Turns One! | Juanita's Cocina

37. Pingback: Spaghetti and Meatballs ~ #SundaySupper with Cristina Ferrare | Juanita's Cocina

38. Pingback: Lasagna Soup - Happy Birthday #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen | The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen