Blueberry Soda

It’s officially summertime here in Baltimore. Today, it’s a smeltering 100 degrees and the humidity is out of control. It feels like hot dog breath outside- blek! Let me just tell you, this weather is not helping my hair situation. I have a mini fro going on, and it’s a frightful sight.

I made a refreshing summer soda to help beat this dreaded summer heat. It’s blueberry, it’s super fresh, and screams summa summa time!

I made a simple blueberry syrup that I found on Joy the Baker. It’s delicious and fruity with a touch of mint. I sweetened it with agave syrup to keep it all natural.

All you have to do is add a little syrup to a glass of ice and top it with club soda. Voila, homemade soda! You control how sweet you want your soda by adding as little or as much club soda as you like.

Blueberry Syrup

adapted from Joy the Baker

3 cups water
1 (16 ounce) bag frozen blueberries
1 lemon, juiced
6 mint leaves
3/4 agave nectar

In a medium-sized saucepan, add water, blueberries, lemon juice, mint leaves, and agave. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove the mixture from the heat and strain through a mesh strainer into a large bowl (preferably one with a spout for easy transfer). Using a spatula, press down on the blueberries to release all of their juices.

Transfer the strained mixture back to the saucepan and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the mixture reduces to about 2 cups of liquid.

Chill the syrup in the refrigerator until completely cool, about 2 hours. Add ice to a glass, pour in desired amount of syrup, and top with club soda. Enjoy!

39 Responses to “Blueberry Soda”

Amber — June 21, 2012 at 8:04 am

Wow! This looks sooooo good! I love blueberries and to add it to soda sounds mmm mmm in my tummy delicious! Perfect for our 100 degree AWFUL summer days! Thank you for sharing! On my grocery list for sure :)

Jen @ Juanita's Cocina — June 21, 2012 at 8:25 am

We’ve made strawberry, blackberry, and even peach this way!

If you add *just* a bit of cream, you get cream soda!

This is LOOOOVELY!

Renee — June 21, 2012 at 8:57 am

I love blueberries and this soda is the perfect way to sip in their goodness. I can just imagine the other ways you could use the syrup too. Delish!

RavieNomNoms — June 21, 2012 at 9:46 am

YUM, that looks great!!! How delicious!

Michelle — June 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

Sounds delish!
    I found your blog through Pinterest and I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at http://www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. (Runs through Monday each week)

Have a wonderful day,
    Michelle

movita beaucoup — June 21, 2012 at 11:47 am

Wait. Does it feel like hot dog breath – like someone’s breath after eating a wiener in a bun? Or, the breath of a hot (as in overheated) dog? Both would be bad. On the plus side, that soda looks ridiculously awesome, and I’m LOVING your photos. LOVING.

• Jennie replied June 21st, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Movita, you just cracked me up and totally made my day. I was going with a overheated dog, but both are equally horrible.

CJ at Food Stories — June 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm

This looks so good … tasty and refreshing … I make similar drinks with sugar free flavored syrups and seltzer water … Beautiful pics, by the way :-)

Sunithi — June 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm

ooh Lovely ! and so healthy too. Love the addition of mint and the agave. Will be trying this for sure !! Nice pics Jen :) Pinning this on my drink mania board and linking to my smoothie page although it’s not a smoothie. Healthy drink so ok I think :)

Kathia Rodriguez — June 21, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I want to let you know the you’r being nominated for an award, check out my blog for details http://www.basicndelicious.blogspot.com.

CCU — June 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm

This my friend, is the epitome of a beautiful drink :D

CCU

Michelle — June 21, 2012 at 8:19 pm

OH I want a sip…..or the pitcher… whichever :)

TastefullyJulie — June 21, 2012 at 10:35 pm

You changed your blog, I like it! And I like this drink. It’s looks beautiful and delicious.

• Jennie replied June 22nd, 2012 at 11:20 am

I did. Thank you. It was time for a self-hosted site.

ellenbcookery — June 21, 2012 at 11:08 pm

This will definitely quench my thirst in this heatwave. Nice!

• Jennie replied June 22nd, 2012 at 11:19 am

Thanks, Ellen. It definitely quenches your thirst in this dreadful heat.

Kim Bee — June 22, 2012 at 12:48 am

Okay I totally love you right now. This is wicked good. Holy yum!

• Jennie replied June 22nd, 2012 at 11:18 am

Thanks, Kim! I’m making a strawberry rosemary syrup next.

Abby — June 22, 2012 at 8:35 am

Loving this! I totally feel you on the mini fro – hello humidity.

Kristina — June 22, 2012 at 9:35 am

haha! Totally know what you mean… it was high 90′s and SO humid in Chicago all week, horrible time for curly hair, it doesn’t matter how much hairspray/hair gel/glue… I cover my head in, its pretty scary :)

Loving your blueberry soda! That sounds sooo good right now! Happy Friday Jennie!!

• Jennie replied June 22nd, 2012 at 11:17 am

Thanks, Kristina! Oh, my hair is so bad right now. I’ve been wearing it in a pony to keep it tamed.

Baker Street — June 22, 2012 at 10:49 am

Oh! What I’d give for a glass right now! This looks so refreshing and delicious.

• Jennie replied June 22nd, 2012 at 11:17 am

Thanks, An. It’s so light and refreshing.

Arlene @FlourOnMyFace — June 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I love homemade soda. I haven’t made blueberry yet but I have made lemon basil and blackberry.

• Jennie replied June 22nd, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Yum! My girlfriend makes a lemon basil, and it is good. Blackberry sounds divine, too.

mjskit — June 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I can’t even imagine that kind of heat and humidity anymore! You can keep it. I do see how this wonderful refresher will help you. What a great use of frozen blueberries. Good and so good for you! Great looking drink!

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — June 22, 2012 at 3:53 pm

LOVE it! sounds perfect, absolutely perfect!

Lauren @ Part Time House Wife — June 22, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Such pretty pictures and I LOVE the idea of homemade fruit soda! And… You’re not alone in the fro world… I rock one daily. it’s cool. frizzy hair is totally the way to go.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — June 22, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Ooooh my boyfriend would love this!!! It looks so refreshing!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — June 22, 2012 at 10:30 pm

This looks so pretty and refreshing! And your photos are gorgeous!

myfudo — June 23, 2012 at 2:44 am

Yup! It is all about light salads, popsiscles and refreshing mixes this summer. I love the color of this thirst quencher. Beat the summer heat, this will truly do. =)

Nicola — June 24, 2012 at 4:12 am

That looks so refreshing and delicious! It’s pouring down with rain here in Scotland but I could still drink this right now. You have a lovely blog! :-)

Meghan — June 24, 2012 at 10:14 am

Jennie, this looks like summer in a glass! Sounds delicious and your photos are beautiful!

Baking Serendipity — June 24, 2012 at 10:17 pm

This would make me feel so much better about my crazy hair in the heat and humidity! Love it!

Hamilton Courtney — June 27, 2012 at 6:02 am

The recipes you post on your blog are always so unusual and inventive, they are a real joy to read and make.
    Will definitely be trying some out soon :)

• Jennie replied June 27th, 2012 at 9:40 am

Thank you so much. I try to be a bit innovative. Thanks for following.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey — June 28, 2012 at 9:39 am

That looks so delicious and inviting…..perfect summer thirst quencher :)

1. Pingback: Lunatic Loves These Links | Cravings of a Lunatic