Running: Week 1

Yesterday marked my first week of running.

Guess what? I think I’m actually beginning to enjoy it. Who knew that little ol’ me would enjoy exercise.

Guess what arrived at my door yesterday? My new CamelBak. I. Love. It. No more holding water bottles or iPods while trying to run, and no more loose gym sack that falls of my shoulders. So, thank you CamelBak for creating such a lovely piece of running equipment. Seriously, it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

Yesterday was my best day out of the entire week. I actually ran the majority of the time, and I’m not going to lie, I’m quite proud of myself (why don’t you just pat yourself on the back, Jenn! I know. Sorry). You see, I went for a run on Sunday, and it was so hot that all I could think about was the heat and potentially passing out. I felt like I was never going to get the hang of running, and then Monday came along and changed my outlook (thank goodness). It was a reasonably nice day out yesterday, and I was able to push through. Hallelujah! The running gods were looking out for this gal.

I managed a 2.22 mile run in 26:01 minutes with an average speed of 5.13 mi/hr. Not too shabby for an out of shape diva. I mean, I would probably get eaten by a zombie if I were to run the race now, but I’m getting better. I’m no longer gasping for breath while running- yay for that! My muscles are becoming accustomed to pounding the pavement- woot! And, I think my calves are beginning to bulk up a bit- hello shorts!

I know I just made it sound like everything is hunky dory, but it’s not all good in the hood. I’m still struggling with hills and inclines. I start to make it up a hill, but tucker out at the halfway point and end up walking the remainder of the incline. I’m hoping that my body will eventually get used to the inclines, or else I’m zombie bait!

Cheers to pounding the pavement!

15 Responses to “Running: Week 1”

CCU — July 31, 2012 at 6:53 am

Yay for your awesome running spirit my friend :D

@bluenotebacker — July 31, 2012 at 10:52 am

Congrats on continued running success! I’m just starting to get back into it myself after quite some time off. I do a lot of cardio in the gym, but it’s just not the same as running outside. I’ve not run any races, but the time I spent running last year was very enjoyable and I’m hoping to get back to that point. Better late than never, right? Kudos to you and thanks for sharing. Hearing others’ stories is inspiring.

Randilea @ Life As I Bake It — July 31, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I just ran my first 5K and loved it! Already planning a 10K in October. Congrats on that run though. That’s a great time/distance for week 1!

CJ at Food Stories — August 1, 2012 at 9:52 am

You totally deserve a pat on the back … Great Job!

Kristina — August 2, 2012 at 10:01 am

Congrats on that running time! I’ve always been a big runner, its just gets more and more fun the longer you do it! Hills are a total pain in the butt though, can’t wait to hear how the rest of your runs go! It’s too bad we’re not closer, we could be running buddies! :)

Jean | Lemons and Anchovies — August 2, 2012 at 11:32 am

Congrats! It took me a while to get used to running, too, but now I quite enjoy it. I look forward to my running days–heading out soon. I cycle too but running takes so much less time. Good for you!

Liz — August 2, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Congratulations!!! I run on my trusty treadmill…and love that I can sample plenty of desserts b/c of it :) The first week is the worst…it will be smooth sailing from now on!

Baking Serendipity — August 2, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I love the feeling of getting back into running! I take my dog out for runs each morning, and it’s one of my favorite parts of the day :)

TastefullyJulie — August 5, 2012 at 12:02 am

Awesome, you go! I bought some cute shoes to take up running in and I went for one 1-mile jog this summer. I blame the heat ;)

Kim @ Treats & Trinkets — August 5, 2012 at 9:25 am

Remember the first rule of Zombieland: cardio.

Amy @ fragrantvanillacake — August 5, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Good luck with the running! It does become addictive, and just becomes a part of your life that is essential ;)! I am sure you will be ready for your 5k in no time :)!

Anne@FromMySweetHeart — August 5, 2012 at 6:46 pm

OMG….Jenny….that is great! I used to be a runner in my past life. I even managed a 10 mile race one time! Now I can only manage a fast walk on my treadmill! Kudos to you for starting in the middle of summer! Looking forward to hearing more of your success stories! : )

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 6, 2012 at 3:33 am

Glad you’re beginning to enjoy running! I hated it before too but once you get the hang of it, you’ll love it, although I still have my love/hate moments!

shannon — August 6, 2012 at 5:31 pm

yay, running! man, i hate hills too. they are BEASTS for me. you give me flat, i’m good. on vacation this year (because florida has not one single hill) it was awesome to bike and jog because hey; totally no inclines. my neighborhood, however, is FILLED WITH THEM. i can walk them, but running is an entirely different story.
    your speed is fantastic, girl! i wish i could do that; great job! you’ll tackle those inclines in no time. :)

• Jennie replied August 6th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I really hate those darn hills. I curse them the entire climb up. Thanks for cheering me on, Shannon!