Running: Week 2

“Just keep running. Just keep running. You can do it. Just keep running,” are the thoughts that go through my brain as I’m trying to push through my run. I may have a bit of a Nemo/Disney obsession (child at heart, here).

I can feel my muscles getting stronger each time I run and, oddly enough, even my arm and upper back muscles feel stronger.

My run time is beginning to improve, and my breathing is starting to become steady and smooth. No more jagged breaths and painful lungs.I’m able to run 2.30 miles in 25 minutes. Yay! The only thing that bothers me is the heat. It’s hot in Baltimore, and running in the heat and humidity is extremely difficult. Even with continuous water consumption, I still struggle. If someone finds me laying flat in the middle of the street, can you please call the emergency number located in my bag :) Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. I wish I could get up at the crack of dawn to run before work, but my body physically won’t allow that to happen. I am so not a morning person.

I have also noticed that I have so much more energy now that I’m exercising again. Who knew exercise could do such a thing. I love it!

Next week, my goal is to run 3 miles in 30 minutes. Fingers crossed!

See that hill in the picture below. It’s mocking me. It’s sticking it’s tongue out and saying, “Nah nah boo boo, you can’t handle this!” Well, next week, this hill is going down. You hear that hill? You’re going down! Don’t mess with this!

11 Responses to “Running: Week 2”

CCU — August 8, 2012 at 6:11 am

Exercising rocks everyone’s socks my friend I’m glad its going so well for you :D

Kim @ Treats & Trinkets — August 8, 2012 at 10:00 am

Hahaha, you can take that hill! I believe in you.

I have a friend in Baltimore training for the same marathon. I’ll tell him to keep an eye out for any cupcake divas lying in the middle of the road. ;)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — August 8, 2012 at 10:32 am

Way to go! You will so own that hill!! :)

Leslie @ La Cocina de Leslie — August 8, 2012 at 11:39 am

Way to go!!! You are totally going to kick that hill’s butt next week. :)

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — August 8, 2012 at 11:56 am

You are a much stronger woman than I…

I’m going to get fat *sigh*

Baking Serendipity — August 8, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I love the feeling of a good run, but definitely prefer running in the fall when the temperatures are cooler :)

Jenn and Seth — August 9, 2012 at 2:39 pm

totally admire you – i hate hate hate running with all my heart.

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — August 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Way to go, Jennie! I’m in the same boat as you – I used to hate running with every fiber of my being (heck, I hated all physical activity!) but lately have forced myself to work out. I actually enjoy running now, both on the treadmill and outdoors. The feeling of accomplishment when I can run faster and longer without wanting to spontaneously die so that I’d be put out of my misery is such a rush. I’ll be running, baking and following you along on your journey.

Meghan — August 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I started running a few years ago, and it’s such a mood booster! You’re doing great, & you’ve got that hill!

Nichole@Dulce Delicious — August 10, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I just started running about 1 1/2 weeks ago and it sounds like you’re doing better than me! lol I’ve only been running a little over a mile at a time but, I’m hoping to make it to two soon! You are doing awesome and I’m sure you will rock that hill next week!

Emily @ Life on Food — August 10, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Great job! Just keep running is right. I am impressed that you are battling the hotness outside. That is a feat in and of itself.