Running: Week 3

Here’s what I’ve learned about running:

It’s hard at first. You’re not going to take down a 5k on your first day. It’s just not going to happen. Period. However, with a little patience and practice, you can build yourself up to have speed racer stamina. You have to start off as the tortoise before you become the hare. It’s just the way it works.

I felt like death my first two weeks of running, and I even thought about giving up, but only quitters give up, and I’m not a quitter. You have to give yourself a chance before you give up on yourself. Your body needs time to adjust to the initial shock. Of course I felt like death. I went from no exercise and cupcake eating to exercising 5 days a week and eating fruit. My body had no idea what was going on and, on top of that, it was going through cupcake withdrawals. Be patient and let your body adjust. I promise you it will.

Mastering a hill takes time. It can be done, but it takes time. Your muscles need to work their way up to hill climbing. Remember that hill I spoke of last week? The hill that was taunting me? Well, I showed that hill who’s boss this week, and it was exhilarating! I kicked that hill’s bootay, and I’m darn proud of it too.

Psht, you don’t scare me any more, hill! I got this.

I also ran a mile under 10 minutes this week and only had to stop running once for a breather. I felt accomplished. I felt proud. I felt like I could do anything. Most of all, I felt confident. At that moment, I no longer feared the 5k.

No fear!

Running is no longer a chore that I have to coax myself into doing.

I enjoy it. I crave it. I look forward to it.

Go out there and pound that pavement. You can do it!

16 Responses to “Running: Week 3”

CCU — August 14, 2012 at 6:14 am

Yay for you and your fabulous tips my friend – you inspire me to get pounding :)
    I am a sprinter :)

• Jennie replied August 14th, 2012 at 10:36 am

Thanks, Uru. A sprinter- that’s awesome. I’m more of a slow and steady runner. Maybe one day I’ll become a speed racer ;)

Paula — August 14, 2012 at 10:04 am

I saw this post on Twitter and had to read it. And following you now! I’ve been running for years and years. I love it, totally addicted, cant stop! You’re right, even after years, some days are better than others, but the feeling you have after running is completly awesome and worth every step. I eat better when I run because I don’t want to waste my time out there. Good luck on your journey, I have Running and Motivation Tips on my blog if you have time to check it out, would love a follow if you like. http://www.CalMePMc.com

• Jennie replied August 14th, 2012 at 10:35 am

Thanks for following, Paula! I’m becoming addicted to running, as well. I absolutely adore it. I can’t wait to check out your site. I can always use some running tips.

Samantha @ Ferraro Kitchen — August 14, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Wow Jennie!! a mile in under 10min!! Thats amazing!! I can average 13min….I haven’t ran yet this week and I can feel it….then I stubbed my toe yesterday haha. You’re motivating me! And good job on that HILL…those are killer!!!

• Jennie replied August 15th, 2012 at 10:52 am

A mile in 13 minutes is good, Sam! I have no doubt that you’ll beat my 10 minutes in no time. Hills are still killer for me. I end up breathless when I reach the top. Keep on running!

Kate | Food Babbles — August 14, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I am so proud of you!! It sounds like you’re making so much progress. I feel like I’m just not progressing. I keep doing it but I don’t feel like I’m getting any better at it. Getting frustrated but not giving up!

• Jennie replied August 15th, 2012 at 10:50 am

Don’t give up, Kate. I have faith in you. Too bad we don’t live close enough to run together and give each other some motivation.

Kim @ Treats & Trinkets — August 14, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I always say that I should start running. But then I get distracted. So I’m in awe of your resolve.

Psst, as for your cupcake withdrawals– agave and applesauce. Makes moist yummy cupcakes without all that fat or sugar.

• Jennie replied August 15th, 2012 at 10:49 am

Thanks for the cupcake tips, Kim. I am craving a good cupcake, so I think I will try your healthy method.

@bluenotebacker — August 14, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I really love reading about your running. I’m still in the gym but I ran last Summer and loved it and want to get outside again for some cardio. Your posts are inspiring and I’m almost there, lol!

Sarah @ Will Run for Pasta — August 15, 2012 at 12:13 am

Just found you through a tweet from @bigbearswife, loved this post, especially “You have to start off as the tortoise before you become the hare.” So true!

• Jennie replied August 15th, 2012 at 10:48 am

I’m so glad you found my site, Sarah! Thank you for the lovely comments.

Kim Bee — August 15, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Once upon a time I used to run 6 to 10 miles a day. Working my way slowly back to it. This is great inspiration.

Laura Dembowski — August 16, 2012 at 3:05 pm

It’s so great that you didn’t give up on running when it was hard. It’ll keep getting easier too! I love running and do it five days a week. But instead of doing it and giving up cupcakes, its my excuse to eat cupcakes.

Lorrir — August 19, 2012 at 3:35 am

Awesome, Jenn. You have inspire me to try running again. Tho I’m older then you but I will try again. Was on your blog site. Love it. Me and my daughter want to blog about cooking. Any tips. Will follow your on twitter. Thanks.