Peach Butter

I love peaches! I want to shout it from the roof top… I. Love. Peaches!

Summer is nearing its end, which means peaches are nearing their end, too. I hate to admit that peach season is almost over, but I have to come to terms with it. The fear of not having fresh peaches at my disposal is torchering me. I’m not ready to give up peaches, so I made a quick decision and decided that canning them at their peak of ripeness was the next best thing to having fresh, juicy peaches. What better way to preserve them than to make a peach butter? It’s summer in a jar. Pure peach flavor in the form of a smooth, velvety butter. Yum!

I made enough to last all winter. All I have to do is pop the top off the ol’ mason jar and spread the peachy love all over my morning toast, or drizzle it over my yogurt or ice cream.

Now, I know some people like to add cinnamon to their fruit butters, however, I wanted to keep this butter simple and preserve the pure flavor of a fresh peach, as if you’ve picked it right off the tree.

It took me a long time to get over my fear of canning. The word “botulism” scared the bejeezus out of me, and I sure as heck didn’t want to go spreading that around.

Once I overcame my fear, I found that canning is really, very easy. Just knowing that I have a stock pile of fresh produce preserved at the peak of ripeness in my pantry, makes me all giddy on the inside, with a touch of pride. It’s like Tom Hanks in Castaway, “I made fire!” Instead, “I preserved fruit!” It’s a very rewarding feeling.

Don’t worry, I’ll hold your hand through the process. Make sure you’re on the straight and narrow. Get the job done right.

You can do it! I, Jennie, believe in you.

If you need some help along the way, the Ball company provides amazing tips on canning and preserving fresh produce. Their site was a life saver for me when I first started my canning journey. If I got stuck or had questions, I’d find myself on their site searching for the answer. They are canning pros, over there. I know canning can be scary, but I’m here to help. Just shoot me an email titled “HELP!” and I’ll be all over it.

Here’s why you need this peach butter in your life:

1. It tastes like a fresh picked peach straight off the tree.
2. It makes for an awesome gift. Shh, don’t tell, but I’m giving away some of these jars for Christmas.
3. You can put this fruity butter on anything: biscuits, yogurt, pancakes, muffins, french toast, cheesecake, cottage cheese, etc. Let your imagination go wild. Heck, I eat it right out of the jar with a spoon.

Now, to teach you how to make it.

Peach Butter

5 lbs. peaches
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
10 8 oz. mason jars

Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the peaches to the boiling water for 30 seconds, then remove. The skins will slide right off with the tug of your fingers.

Slice the peaches right off the pit and cut into fat chunks. Add the peach chunks to a large pot, then add the sugar and water. Simmer until peaches are tender, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you have an immersion blender, puree peaches right in the pot until very smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth, then add the mixture back to the pot.

Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, and cook for 30-40 minutes, allowing the mixture to thicken. Stir frequently to ensure the mixture doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pot. The butter is done when there is a visible trace left with your finger on a wooden spoon.

To can:

Wash your jars, lids, and rings in hot soapy water. Rinse well. Sterilize the jars and rings by boiling them in a large pot of water for 10 minutes (the water should cover the jars completely). Add the lids to a clean bowl and add a ladle of boiling water to the bowl. Remove the jars and rings onto a clean towel, placing the jars upside down to remove any excess water. Remove the lids from the bowl onto the clean towel. Divide the hot peach butter between the jars, leaving about a 1/2-inch space at the top. Wipe the rims clean with a paper towel and cover with lids and screw on the rings. Submerge the jars in the pot of boiling water, either in a removable basket (I recommend the basket. It makes the process easier, and you’re less likely to get burned) or with tongs. Make sure the jars are fully submerged and covered with at least 1 inch of water. Boil for ten minutes. Remove the basket or dip out individually with tongs. Let cool completely on the towel, leaving them there overnight, untouched (do not touch the lids or push on them). You’ll begin to hear a popping sound a few minutes after the jars have been removed from the hot water. This is completely normal and a good sign that you properly canned the butter. The next morning, check the lids by making sure they don’t make a popping sound when pressed with your finger. If they’re canned correctly, the lids won’t budge or flex. If they do flex, place the jar in the fridge and use right away. Label and date the jars and store at room temperature.

69 Responses to “Peach Butter”

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean — August 23, 2012 at 6:56 am

omg YUMMMMMMM

Jen @JuanitasCocina — August 23, 2012 at 7:04 am

Hi, my name is Jen and I’m afraid of canning.

Until now…because I want peach butter so bad. :D

• Jennie replied August 23rd, 2012 at 7:06 am

Welcome, Jen. Take my hand and I’ll guide you through the wonderful world of canning. You can do it. I have faith in you. Do you need me to fly to Texas for a lesson? I’ll do it… for you.

• Jen @JuanitasCocina replied August 25th, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Yes, you need to fly to Texas. Immediately. There will be donuts waiting.

movita beaucoup — August 23, 2012 at 7:08 am

Hi, my name is movita, and I, too, am afraid of canning.

So I make my neighbours do it.

I’ll hand this recipe on to them.

Chandra — August 23, 2012 at 7:21 am

Now I want peaches andI want to try this peach butter you speak of! I also want to try canning. I didn’t know how easy it was.

Carla — August 23, 2012 at 8:01 am

I remember when I first tried canning w strawberry jam. I didn’t die! Woohoo! As much as I love peaches, I haven’t had too many this year. I think summer was just screwed up in general. Maybe if I can find any good ones left this weekend, I’ll hurry up and make this butter.

Samantha — August 23, 2012 at 8:10 am

I like how you didn’t add cinnamon to this and aimed to capture the fresh peach flavor!

Kim @ Treats & Trinkets — August 23, 2012 at 8:31 am

I’ve never canned a thing in my life. Not because I don’t want to, but because it takes planning and that’s a word that I don’t know the meaning of.

So I think I’ll just stop by your house and pick up a couple of jars mm’kay?

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — August 23, 2012 at 10:08 am

I’ve never had peach butter before, but it sounds wonderful! Great way to preserve the deliciousness of summer peaches!

Renee — August 23, 2012 at 10:29 am

My parents did a lot of canning but I have not so far. This looks so good though! I wonder if I could make a smaller batch and use right away instead of canning.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — August 23, 2012 at 11:52 am

….i’mscaredofcanning….O.O

CJ at Food Stories — August 23, 2012 at 12:40 pm

What a great way to savor the taste of summer, all year long :-)

Susan — August 23, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I don’t can. I make a small batch and eat it all right away. #iamachicken

I know there is nothing to be afraid of, I’ve been to the demos too, yet I just don’t want to deal with me. I’m more afraid of the jars breaking than anything else!

However, lucky you will get to enjoy the taste of fresh peaches well into the winter!

Aly — August 23, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I have also never tried canning but partly because I am not used to eating canned items…maybe I will have to try it sometime. :)

Baker Street — August 24, 2012 at 3:47 am

Oh my! Should i just send you my address?! i’m sure you need help with finishing 10 mason jars! This would surely make for the ultimate gift!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — August 24, 2012 at 9:49 am

I totally have a fear of canning too. I really want to get over it though so I can make delicious peach butter and pickles and other fun canned things!

Jenn and Seth — August 25, 2012 at 12:26 am

i’m terrified of canning – but i want your peach butter…i’m not sure how i’m supposed to reconcile those!

Brandie (@ Home Cooking Memories) — August 25, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Peaches are just “ok” for me, but my husband LOVES it if I make anything with them. I’ve only canned one time (apple butter)…he’d be so happy if I made this!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 26, 2012 at 12:16 am

I love peaches too so you know I’ll be making this ASAP!

Michelle — August 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm

whoa….. i’ve never had peach butter before!

Terra — August 27, 2012 at 12:33 am

Thank you for your canning help, l for sure need some help. I still have a canning fear. I love the idea of making a peach butter, that would be delicious!!! Take care, Hugs, Terra

shannon — August 27, 2012 at 7:10 am

ok, so here’s my confession: i’m utterly afraid of canning. i’ve never canned one thing – not one thing! – because i’m super afraid i’ll kill someone. or that i’ll go to get something awesome that i’ve canned, like this peach butter, and find mold like, EVERYWHERE. i don’t even know if that happens in real life, but it happens in my head.

i say that because when i read this, it built up my confidence a little. enough, dare i say, to maybe try canning. we’ve had such nice produce here this summer, and it seems a shame not to preserve some of it. i’m still nervous, but maybe i’ll try it. if not this year, then next summer. it will happen.

kale — August 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I am all over anything with the word “butter” in the title! Combine it with “peach” and ooh la la… !

• Jennie replied August 28th, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Butta makes everything better! Thanks, Kale!

Anita at Hungry Couple — August 28, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I can see this drizzled over pound cake. Or maybe over Greek yogurt. How about mixing it in with the yogurt and drizzling that over pound cake? You have my address for those Christmas gifts, right? :)

Diane — August 29, 2012 at 7:22 pm

MMMMMmmmmmmm, I’m thinking maybe over the weekend ; )

mjskit — August 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I’m so glad you got over your fear of canning! It opens up a whole new world! Love, love, love this peach sauce, but then – like you – I LOVE peaches as you can see from my gravatar! :) You sold me when you said it taste like a fresh picked peach! Beautiful jars of peaches!

Full Time Wife Life — August 31, 2012 at 12:06 am

SO excited! My aunt just brought home 10lbs of peaches from SC – I would have never eaten them on time! THANK YOU!!!!!!

• Jennie replied August 31st, 2012 at 10:50 am

That’s a lot of peaches! Happy canning. They make great gifts.

Mckenzie — September 5, 2012 at 12:57 am

I just tried this, I split it into two batches though since I wanted a spiced version to go on ice cream :) It’s the best of summer in a can.

• Jennie replied September 5th, 2012 at 8:34 am

McKenzie, I’m so glad you liked the peach butter! Thanks for visiting and trying my recipe. It really is summer in a can- pure peach flavor. Enjoy!

Lori — September 22, 2012 at 5:12 pm

A few weeks ago I made one batch, just to try it. WOW!! Today I was driving all over trying to find the last of the fresh peaches so I can make more. I don’t want to run out before next year. I have been told in no uncertain terms that I am not allowed to give any of it away for Christmas gifts. I think that means they like it. Thanks for sharing a fabulous recipe!

• Jennie replied September 22nd, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Lori, I’m so glad you enjoyed the peach butter. I’d take it that they really enjoyed it. Good luck on your peach hunt, and thanks for visiting my site.

Sandy — February 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Can’t wait to can this! Thanks for the recipe!

Randall Yancey — May 30, 2013 at 8:10 am

I love peaches as well. I think they are the best fruit I have ever eaten. I have a saying, “When God was making the peach He was thinking of me!” LOL
    Thanks for the recipe!

Becky — June 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Hi, Jennie, I just bought half a bushel of peaches yesterday & I am interested in making your peach butter. I just have a concern, does this peach butter turn dark. I hear peaches do when you freeze them, just wondered if they do when you can them? Thanks in advance!

• Jennie replied June 28th, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Hi Becky! Thank you so much for visiting. I’ve never had a problem with peaches turning black during or after the canning process. I’ve made this recipe several times and have never had that issue. Happy canning!

• Becky replied June 28th, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Ok, thanks so much for your quick response! I am not an expert canner, but I may just give this recipe a try! :)

Erin — July 6, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Can I do this without the sugar?

Pam Ramirez — July 15, 2013 at 1:44 pm

What is the shelf life of the Peach Butter?

• Jennie replied July 15th, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Thanks for visiting, Pam! Once the peach butter is canned, it will stay fresh for 2 years in a cool, dry place. I keep mine on a shelf in the basement. Happy canning!

• Pam Ramirez replied July 17th, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Had a lot of fun making the Peach Butter with my daughter and the house smelt wonderful. It was so easy and it taste fantastic. Can’t wait to share it with my friends and family.

Rachel Saunders — July 16, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Could this be frozen?

• Jennie replied July 17th, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I have only canned this peach butter. I haven’t tried freezing it yet. I don’t see why it couldn’t be frozen. It won’t last as long in the freezer, but if you don’t mind that, I would try it. I’ve seen ther bloggers freeze jam/butter, so I think you’ll be fine if you decide to use that method. Let me know how it turns out.

Jenny — July 17, 2013 at 8:33 pm

This looks amazing! Do you peel the peaches first?

• Jennie replied July 17th, 2013 at 9:39 pm

You’re going to place the peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove from the water with tongs. The skin should peel right off with the tug of your fingers. Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Linda — July 18, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Can you use frozen peaches for this. Thanks

• Jennie replied July 18th, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I think frozen peaches would work just fine. I would cut the amount of water in half; instead of 1 cup, use a 1/2 cup. Frozen peaches tend to produce more water when cooked.

Linda — July 18, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Sorry about how many cups of peaches would you say you would get out of 5 lb fruit

• Jennie replied July 18th, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Between 6 and 8 cups, roughly. I’ve never actually measured the peaches by volume, only weight.

Jessica — July 23, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I absolutely LOVE this. I have made 3 batches in the past two days and I canned for the very first time!!!!! Thank you for your easy directions and upbeat attitude. Love it!!!

• Jennie replied July 24th, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Wow, three batches–awesome! I’m so glad you found my instructions easy. That’s definitely what I was going for. I wanted to ease folks into canning. I’m so glad you love this recipe as much as I do. Enjoy!

Sherry — July 24, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Can the sugar be cut down if my peaches are very sweet? Would it be safe to can if I jiggle with the sugar amount?

Allyson @ All Our Days — July 25, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I might have let my peach butter get too thick…is that possible? I only got 8 (8oz) jars.

• Jennie replied July 25th, 2013 at 1:31 pm

You may have let it reduce too long. It’s okay, though. You’ll have a thicker, velvety butter. It will still taste fabulous.

Jenna — August 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Hi! I just found this recipe on Pinterest. Was super excited to make it. BUT, I’ve had the mixture on the stove now for over 2 hours and it’s not getting think enough. :-/ Not sure if I added to much water or what? I know I started them to low and then cranked the heat up. But, it’s been over 40 mins and they don’t seem to want to thicken. Any advise? Thanks!!

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:39 am

Hi Jenna! I’m not quite sure why your mixture is taking so long to thicken. I’ve made the peach butter several times, and each time, I’ve never had an issue with it getting thick. I’m so sorry you had trouble with it. After simmering the peach chunks for 20 minutes, did you blend the mixutre and add it back to the pot to simmer? This part of the recipe is crucial to the mixture becoming thick and butter like. That’s the only thing I can think of that would prevent the mixture from thickening.

Mary — September 8, 2013 at 6:41 pm

This is wonderful! My husband really wanted me to add spices, but I didn’t, and he loved it. It’s such a pure peach taste!

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:41 am

Hi, Mary! Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers. I thought about adding spices to the butter, but opted not to. I wanted the butter to taste like a peach–pure and sweet. I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed the butter. Happy baking!

kathleen vales — June 20, 2014 at 6:21 pm

I tried to make peach butter and it turned out darker than I thought it would. Is it supposed to be that way

Laura Wolfe — July 2, 2014 at 12:06 am

We are just doing the final boil on this recipe tonight and it is literally the yummiest thing I ever ever ever tasted! Thank you for sharing! Delish!

1. Pingback: The Weekend Whisk – 7/20/13