Soy Glazed Chicken ~ #SundaySupper

It’s Sunday again, which means it’s time to celebrate #SundaySupper. This week we’re preparing recipes for Labor day, which snuck up on me this year. I completely forgot that Labor day was on Monday until my girlfriend asked me what I was doing over the weekend for the holiday, “Holiday? What holiday?” My girlfriend replied, “Um, you know. Labor day.” Ugh, I had completely and utterly forgot about Labor day.

Can you believe Summer is almost over? I swear it just arrived and now it’s over. I feel like summer completely eluded me this year.

I didn’t get around to completing half of the items on my To-Do list:

- Take more than one trip to the beach
- Visit a few farmer’s markets
- Take some day trips
- Visit a few mueseums
- Finish renovating office
- Go camping
- Make pickles

Summer is over, and these items are still on my list waiting to be crossed off, which is never going to happen by Monday. Well, I suppose there’s always next year.

In honor of Labor day and the last hurrah of grilling season, I’ve cooked up some soy glazed chicken thighs. These thighs get soaked in a soy and orange marinade overnight, then glazed with a soy reduction made from the marinade. Let me tell you, this method makes for a super flavor piece of chicken.

It’s finger lickin’ good!

This chicken is good grilled or baked. I was going to grill it, but we ran out of propane, so in the oven it went. It was just as good. The skin gets caramelized and crispy, while the center stays juicy and tender.

This chicken happens to be a favorite in my house. I spent time tweaking the recipe to get it just right. I knew I wanted to impart flavor into the chicken, as well as give it a saucy coating. I did this by marinating the chicken overnight, then reducing the marinade to create a salty/sweet glaze to coat the outside. What you end up with is an extremely tender piece of chicken with a perfectly crispy crust. It’s chicken perfection at its best.

Soy glaze coats your fingers, but you don’t care because you’re about to sink your teeth into that plump piece of chicken. Your teeth hit the skin, and you hear a crunch. The salty/sweet flavor hits your tongue, then you get a hint of heat in the background. A bit further and your teeth sink into the moist, juicy meat of the chicken. Next thing you know you’re fingers are in your mouth, savoring what’s left.

Don’t worry, there’s enough for seconds. Happy #SundaySupper!

Check out what the other #SundaySupper foodies are cooking up:

Starters & Snacks

Main Dishes

Salads & Sides

Drinks

Desserts

Wine Pairings

• Labor Day Cookout Food And Wine Pairings byENOFYLZ

Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper  live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite cookout recipes!

All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us throughTweetChat!

We’d also love to feature your Cookout recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!

Soy Glazed Chicken

1.5 lbs. chicken thighs
1/3 cup Low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 tbs. canola oil
3 tbs. agave
2 tbs. rice vinegar
2 tbs. chili garlic sauce
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tbs. brown sugar
salt and pepper

In a large bowl, add soy sauce, orange juice, oil, agave, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator, let marinate overnight.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and place a cookie rack on top of the foil (this prevents the chicken from sitting in the drippings and allows it to get crispy). Line the chicken thighs on top of the cookie rack and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Pour the marinade in a medium-sized saucepan and add cornstarch and brown sugar, whisk to combine. Cook on medium heat until the mixture boils and reduces into a thick glaze, about 3-4 minutes. Brush chicken with glaze and place in the oven. Cook for 35-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F., brushing the chicken with the glaze every 10 minutes.

58 Responses to “Soy Glazed Chicken ~ #SundaySupper”

veronica gantley — September 2, 2012 at 6:03 am

Oh my this looks so good. You cant go wrong with soy and orange.

CCU — September 2, 2012 at 7:02 am

I think this delicious dish could potentially become a staple for your labor day celebrations :)

Laura @ Family Spice — September 2, 2012 at 8:36 am

LOL! I’m still renovating my office, too! We pulled out the carpet the first week of summer, but hubby didn’t put the wood floors in ’til 3 weeks ago. Haven’t put everything back IN the office with back-to-school chaos. Hmmmm.. maybe next week…. : )

Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious — September 2, 2012 at 8:38 am

Wow, does THAT look good! I think chicken thighs are the most tasty part of the chicken, and always use them. Trying this.

Cindys Recipes — September 2, 2012 at 8:41 am

I love orange and soy together, this sounds so good Jennie!

Faye Leong — September 2, 2012 at 9:35 am

Oh my….this is really finger linking good and cant imagine if I can take a bite of it. Yummy!

Eileen Gross | Wine Everyday — September 2, 2012 at 9:43 am

Wow! this looks delicious! I am looking for a grilled chicken recipe that can is equally awesome on 2day cold. Yours looks so good, you probably don’t ever have left overs!
    Cheers!

Renee — September 2, 2012 at 9:47 am

I can’t believe it is already Labor Day either. The summer just flew by.

Jen @JuanitasCocina — September 2, 2012 at 10:14 am

Seconds? I want thirds!!! Gorgeous!

Lane @ Supper for a Steal — September 2, 2012 at 10:14 am

Oh looks so yummy! I actually have all the ingredients I will need to try soon.

Meghan — September 2, 2012 at 10:29 am

I don’t understand how it’s already Labor Day either :/ I do know that this recipe looks really yummy! Can’t wait to try it!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 2, 2012 at 10:31 am

Oh my – that glaze is absolutely scrumptious! And I totally know feel the same way about summer just zipping by! Before you know it, it’ll be thanksgiving and Christmas!

Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) — September 2, 2012 at 11:17 am

Finger lickin’ good! I need to give the orange juice in the marinade a try…good tenderizer! Thank you for sharing!

diabeticFoodie — September 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I want to meet the person who finishes everything on their summer to-do list. Actually, maybe I don’t :) I think I can actually smell this cooking! Definitely need to try it soon.

Anne @ Webicurean — September 2, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I do believe this will be on my menu this week!

Patti — September 2, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Your description of that first bite just won me over! Love this recipe!

Tara Noland — September 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm

This looks so good and a fabulous picture capturing that glaze. Well done!!

Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet) — September 2, 2012 at 4:42 pm

This looks SO GOOD…we eat lots of chicken, so I’m always looking for new and fun ways to keep it from getting boring. This certainly fills the bill!!

Melanie — September 2, 2012 at 4:55 pm

wow! looks great, and it’s just in time for Packers season, too!

Katie — September 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Helloooo gorgeous! This dish looks seriously tasty. Since I don’t eat red meat, I am always looking for new dishes to cook using chicken…thanks for sharing!

Brandie (@ Home Cooking Memories) — September 2, 2012 at 6:21 pm

That chicken skin alone makes me want this!! Can’t wait to try this.

Bea — September 2, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Those look fantastic – I will definitively have to give these a try :) And yes, where did summer go?

Christin@fortmillscliving — September 2, 2012 at 9:38 pm

That does look finger lickin’ good! The skin looks like it turned out perfectly.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — September 2, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I am so not ready for summer to be over, so much I wanted to get done! This chicken looks incredible! I love the flavor,

Baker Street — September 2, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I’m going to say this is surely the perfect finish to summer! Soy glazed chicken sounds amazing, Jennie and your pictures have me craving it at 7 am – now that’s just wrong!

Family Foodie — September 2, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Fabulous recipe that I can’t wait to try! Thank you so much for sharing during #SundaySupper!

sunithi — September 3, 2012 at 12:19 am

I can believe it’s finger lickin good !! Lovely ! Will try this sometime soon. Love the combo of orange & soy !

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — September 3, 2012 at 6:52 am

Your description makes me want to be licking my sticky fingers right now! Great recipe!

Laura Hunter — September 3, 2012 at 8:02 am

I too have a long list of things I wanted to get done this summer that have sadly not been checked off the list. It is so scary how quickly the time seems to go by these days. I love your grilled chicken recipe, I can’t wait to give it a try.

Jenn and Seth — September 3, 2012 at 10:20 am

oh. my. god. this looks absolutely amazing Jennie! i will definitely be making this sometime, it is calling to me

elena-sweetlife — September 3, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Yum, this looks so delicious!!

Jamie (Mama.Mommy.Mom) — September 3, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I’d probably do this with breasts instead of thighs, but the glaze sounds amazing!

Jamie @ http://www.mamamommymom.com

Carrian-Sweet Basil — September 4, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Oh sweet deliciousness. Glazed anything sounds good, but especially this chicken. YUM.

Crazy Kwistin — September 4, 2012 at 5:37 pm

YUM!!!! Have to try this one :)

Susan — September 4, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Those looks fantastic! Chicken thighs are a staple in my house and I love baking them with all sorts of glazes on them! On a side note, I’m with you on the beach – I never even got there once this summer. Where did it go?!?

Heather @girlichef — September 5, 2012 at 5:59 am

Now that is some SERIOUS finger-lickin’ chicken. That beautiful burnish…just makes my cheeks tingle looking at it. Beautiful!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — September 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Michael’s mad at me bc I haven’t made him this yet. Lol :P

• Jennie replied September 5th, 2012 at 2:50 pm

This is too funny. Poor Michael. He’ll just have to wait, or make it himself :)

Sarah — September 5, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I’ve been dieing to check out the post since you sneak peaked your chicken. I will have to try agave in my glaze istead of corn syrup. It’s better for you anyway. So I was thinking, since you are totally stalking my blog, do you want to be the president of CBnBE fan club. Member count currently 1 (that’s you). lol thanks for being a great mentor and stalker. I enjoy your stalking.

Terra — September 5, 2012 at 11:15 pm

My hubby loves grilled chicken, and he loves working with soy. He would adore this fun marinade! Your chicken looks fantastic:-) Hugs, Terra

1. Pingback: tomato orzo feta salad

2. Pingback: Persian Mint & Cucumber Cooler (Sekanjabin)Family Spice

3. Pingback: Labor Day Cookout

4. Pingback: Grilled Vegetable Spread for #LaborDay #SundaySupper

5. Pingback: Newfangled Cowtown White Chicken Chili for Labor Day #SundaySupper

6. Pingback: Tuna and Roasted Red Pepper Packets for #SundaySupper | Cindy's Recipes and Writings

7. Pingback: Smoked Pork Butt (A How-To_ | Juanita's Cocina

8. Pingback: Grilled Banana Splits for #SundaySupper « Diabetic Foodie

9. Pingback: Finger Lickin’ Chicken Drumettes/Labour Day Cookout #SundaySupper | | Noshing With The NolandsNoshing With The Nolands

10. Pingback: Lobster Salad with Avocado, Corn and Tomatoes #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red KitchenThe Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

11. Pingback: Mom’s Savory Pork ‘n’ Beans #SundaySupper — Webicurean

12. Pingback: Blueberry Lemon Whoopie Pies for a Holiday Cookout #SundaySupper

13. Pingback: #SundaySupper Mint Marinated Beef Kabobs with Garlic Sauce

14. Pingback: Easy Desserts: Frozen Chocolate Bananas #SundaySupper - Home Cooking Memories

15. Pingback: Strawberry Cream Squares | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts

16. Pingback: #SundaySupper Labor Day Cookout Food And Wine Pairings | ENOFYLZ Wine BlogENOFYLZ Wine Blog

17. Pingback: Adana Kebab #SundaySupper | Small Wallet Big Appetite