Brown Butter Orange Pumpkin Muffins

Happy Monday, all!

It’s time for another #MuffinMonday. I was extremely excited when I received this week’s recipe, an orange pumpkin muffin. You know how I feel about pumpkin, and I’ll take any excuse to bake with it.

At first glance, I wasn’t sure how I was going to change this recipe to make it my own. Quite frankly, the muffin recipe sounded perfect with its combination of orange and pumpkin, so I was a tad stumped. I kept coming back to it, and then it hit me. Why not add some brown butter and maybe a sprinkling of white chocolate chips and toasted pecans? That’s just what I did, and they turned out beautifully.

The muffin by itself is amazing, but top it with an orange glaze, and it’s over-the-top delicious!

The flavor of this muffin is extraordinary. Imagine an extremely moist muffin studded with the perfect amount of white chocolate chips and toasted pecans. When you take the first bite, you get the warm flavor from the pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon, then the subtle sweetness of the orange forms on your palate as you continue to devour the muffin. And, if all of those flavors weren’t enough, you’re hit with the nutty flavor of the brown butter and toasted pecans, then, to top it all off, the sweet orange glaze adds a burst of orange flavor.

Like I said, this is one scrumptious muffin.

Enjoy!

1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tbs. orange juice
1 tsp. orange zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with paper baking cups.

In a small saucepan, add the unsalted butter and let simmer until it becomes brown and gives off a nutty scent, about 5-8 minutes. Take off the heat and let cool.

In a medium-sized bowl, add all of the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.

In a large bowl, add both sugars and eggs. Whisk to combine. Drizzle in cooled brown butter and whisk to combine. Add the pumpkin, orange juice, and orange zest, whisk to combine. Fold in the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips and pecans. Spoon batter into prepared tins, filling each cup 2/3 of the way full.

Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle with glaze.

For the glaze: In a small bowl, add powdered sugar, orange juice, and orange zest. Whisk until smooth.

26 Responses to “Brown Butter Orange Pumpkin Muffins”

CCU — September 24, 2012 at 1:47 am

Your change rocks my friend, this looks delicious :D your liners are adorable!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — September 24, 2012 at 2:12 am

Girl, you are on fire! How do you have the time to bake & cook so many amazing and unique dishes, take gorgeous photos, blog about them, run AND go to school full time? You kick ass. And so do these muffins – what a fantastic flavour combination! Those liners are just too adorbs.

Stacy — September 24, 2012 at 2:17 am

The vivid word picture you paint about all the lovely flavors got me drooling. I didn’t even need your beautiful actual pictures to imagine the deliciousness of this muffin!

Baker Street — September 24, 2012 at 3:13 am

Brown butter is surely the way to go! I’m sure it added a wonderful nutty flavor. the glaze sounds perfect too! Happy #MuffinMonday! :)

Mom — September 24, 2012 at 7:58 am

These muffins were amazing, ask her brother, he devoured 6 of them and was still looking for more. :)

Rachel Cooks — September 24, 2012 at 8:03 am

These look so wonderful! I love your photos :)

Carrie @ poet in the pantry — September 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

I was stumped at first, too. It seemed like the perfect combination–how would I tweak it? I like your additions. The orange juice glaze must have been delicious! The crowning achievement on an already tasty muffin! :)

luv what you do — September 24, 2012 at 10:01 am

How did I not know there was a muffin monday. I will have to remember to get in on this next week! So happy to see pumpkin returning to everyone’s recipes. Happy Fall!

Kim @ Treats & Trinkets — September 24, 2012 at 10:13 am

Sounds like fall in a muffin! I love the addition of brown butter and pecans, it’s like a pie. And there ain’t nothing wrong with an orange glaze

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — September 24, 2012 at 11:04 am

These are some gorgeous muffins! I love that orange glaze (and of course, brown butter!)!

Kristina — September 24, 2012 at 11:15 am

Ugh. I could eat pumpkin muffins all day. Every day. Forever and ever. Jealous of your little muffins! I really need to try this whole brown butter thing – it makes me a little nervous- I’m really good at burning things… but this sounds so good!! Looks so perfect for fall Jennie!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — September 24, 2012 at 11:16 am

I love brown butter! These look phenomenal!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — September 24, 2012 at 11:17 am

Ok, so.

Those muffins are BEAUTIFUL!

And yayyy for brown butter!

Kate | Food Babbles — September 24, 2012 at 9:52 pm

These muffins sound amazing!! I love the orange glaze on the top. These pictures make me want to dive right in.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — September 24, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Orange and pumpkin sound like a dreamy combo!

Anne@FromMySweetHeart — September 25, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Oh wow Jennie….these muffins look amazing! My muffins never come out looking so moist as yours. I love pumpkin muffins but I really love how you made this recipe your own with the white chocolate chips. And of course, brown butter makes everything better! Lovely! : )

Anna @ hiddenponies — September 26, 2012 at 1:59 am

Pumpkin and orange sound like the perfect muffin combo for fall! These look amazing, I need to make them just to smell them!

Jenn and Seth — September 26, 2012 at 9:53 pm

holy fricken cow you packed so many delicious flavors in one portable baked good – i love it! definitely making these very soon!

Anita at Hungry Couple — September 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Sure, brown butter is sexy but white chocolate rocks and pumpkin rocks and therefore, these muffins rock!

Katie Gilbert — September 27, 2012 at 12:03 am

These look delicious! I love, love, love muffins and these would be a great Fall treat!

Erika — September 27, 2012 at 10:31 am

Mmm I love the sound of your tweaks–brown butter anything is a sure winner! And such cute muffin liners! I need to find out where to get some of those.

Meghan — September 27, 2012 at 10:33 am

Scrumptious muffin, indeed! Love at first sight and then I see you added white chocolate… swoon! I’ll take 3 :)

Jane Lisa — September 29, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Please tell me where to buy those cupcake liners! Thank you!

• Jennie replied September 30th, 2012 at 7:33 am

I purchased them online at TomKat designs. Thank you!

TastefullyJulie — September 30, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Those muffins are adorable and they look delicious, too!

shannon — October 4, 2012 at 11:29 pm

what is this crazy orange pumpkin thing you have going on right now? I LOVE IT! and with the whole brown butter nuttiness, i bet these are delicious. and bonus: you just gave me a really great idea. :)