Strawberry Balsamic Jam ~ #SundaySupper

Happy #SundaySupper! This week we were challenged by our lovely host Amber from Mama’s Blissful Bites to make a recipe using five ingredients or less. Now, I’m a baker, so this was an exceptionally hard challenge for me, but one I was willing to try.

I like a good challenge every once in awhile. A task that tests my skills and pushes my line of limitation, and I believe a 5-ingredient challenge is just that. Amber gave us three freebies, water and salt and pepper. That’s it. Everything else has to be accounted for. Baking requires too many ingredients, so that was out of the question. I did the next best thing and canned some jam.

I adore fall, and it happens to be my favorite season, but I hate saying good-bye to summer fruit. Nothing beats a juicy peach, plump strawberries, sweet cantaloupe, or deep red watermelons. I decided I wasn’t quite ready to say my farewell to summer fruit, so what better way to preserve the season than to can some strawberries? I’ve been wanting to try the classic strawberry balsamic combination, which, I’m told, is a match made in heaven. I’ve never actually tried the combination, so I figured it was time to say goodbye to my strawberry balsamic virginity and give it a try.

I made strawberry balsamic jam.

This jam happens to be my new addiction. I smear it on these biscuits, layer it in this peanut butter bar, top it on my morning oatmeal, add it to my post workout smoothie, or swirl it in this milkshake. That’s a whole lot of jam.

I completely understand what all the strawberry/balsamic fuss is about…They’re a perfect pair. The acidity of the balsamic cuts through the sweetness of the strawberries, creating the perfect balance of sweet berry flavor.

I started with 6 jars and only have 2 left. I’ll be producing this jam in mass quantities next summer.

Happy #SundaySupper! Now go get your jam on.

Check out the other 5-ingredient #SundaySupper recipes:

Breakfast, Starters, Butters and Jams:

Main Dishes:

Desserts:

Beverages:

Strawberry Balsamic Jam

4 pounds strawberries, chopped
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Add the chopped strawberries, sugar, and balsamic vinegar to a large pot. Simmer until strawberries are tender, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you have an immersion blender, puree strawberries right in the pot until slightly smooth but still slightly chunky. If you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and pulse until desired consistency, then add the mixture back to the pot.

Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, and cook for 30 minutes, allowing the mixture to thicken. Stir frequently to ensure the mixture doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pot. The jam is done when there is a visible trace left with your finger on a wooden spoon.

To can:

Wash your jars, lids, and rings in hot soapy water. Rinse well. Sterilize the jars and rings by boiling them in a large pot of water for 10 minutes (the water should cover the jars completely). Add the lids to a clean bowl and add a ladle of boiling water to the bowl. Remove the jars and rings onto a clean towel, placing the jars upside down to remove any excess water. Remove the lids from the bowl onto the clean towel. Divide the hot jam between the jars, leaving about a 1/2-inch space at the top. Wipe the rims clean with a paper towel and cover with lids and screw on the rings. Submerge the jars in the pot of boiling water, either in a removable basket (I recommend the basket. It makes the process easier, and you’re less likely to get burned) or with tongs. Make sure the jars are fully submerged and covered with at least 1 inch of water. Boil for ten minutes. Remove the basket or dip out individually with tongs. Let cool completely on the towel, leaving them there overnight, untouched (do not touch the lids or push on them). You’ll begin to hear a popping sound a few minutes after the jars have been removed from the hot water. This is completely normal and a good sign of proper canning. The next morning, check the lids by making sure they don’t make a popping sound when pressed with your finger. If they’re canned correctly, the lids won’t budge or flex. If they do flex, place the jar in the fridge and use right away. Label and date the jars and store at room temperature.

73 Responses to “Strawberry Balsamic Jam ~ #SundaySupper”

Laura Hunter — September 30, 2012 at 6:47 am

I LOVE strawberries and balsamic together. I make a lovely salad dressing with them but I love the sound of making it into a jam even better.

CCU — September 30, 2012 at 7:07 am

Mmmm strawberry jam for supper with balsamic flavour – cant say its usual but eating a jar could be easy :D

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — September 30, 2012 at 7:17 am

There´s no going back with strawberries and balsamic, they´re so great together. Wonderful jam, and so easy! I wonder how long it lasts without proper canning techniques. A few weeks? Have a great sunday!

Amber @mamapoolecooks — September 30, 2012 at 7:23 am

Jennie,

You nailed this! It looks soooo good and perfect for Fall! Thank you!

Baker Street — September 30, 2012 at 9:07 am

Strawberries and balsamic are truly meant to be! Where’s my jar, Jennie?! ;)

Jen @JuanitasCocina — September 30, 2012 at 9:34 am

Trade ya’ one strawberry jam for another. :D

Kim @ Treats & Trinkets — September 30, 2012 at 9:46 am

Um, yum. That jam looks/sounds amazing. I’m imagining eating it on one of those biscuits right now, still hot from the oven, with melted butter. Mmmmmmm

I think I found my new happy place.

Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) — September 30, 2012 at 10:09 am

One of these days, I need to try canning/preserving. You make it sound so easy!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — September 30, 2012 at 10:15 am

That jam is beeeeautiful! Michael would totally flip over it. I’m already missing strawberries. *sigh* summerrr

Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious — September 30, 2012 at 10:26 am

It’s breakfast time here…I’ll be right over with my toast!

Tara Noland — September 30, 2012 at 10:44 am

That looks amazing!! Love that it is made with balsamic vinegar!!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — September 30, 2012 at 10:45 am

I love this combination and now wondering why I’ve never jammed it! I have some balsamic jelly that I like…I’m sure love would have been involved with the boost of berries.

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — September 30, 2012 at 11:13 am

I love love love homemade jam! This one looks fabulous! No wonder it’s disappearing fast :) Have a great Sunday, Jennie!

Nicole @ The Daily Dish — September 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm

oh my goodness that looks so good. I love homemade jam and the flavors mixed up here are probably unbeatable! Great idea for 5 ingredients or less :)

Family Foodie — September 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I am totally craving this on homemade english muffins!

Veronica Gantley — September 30, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Strawberry and Balsamic got together like peanut butter and jelly. Who wouldnt want a homemade jam for a present. Not your usual strawberry jam though.

Bea — September 30, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Yum! I love the addition of balsamico to strawberries in Jam!

Lane @ Supper for a Steal — September 30, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I can’t say goodbye to summer fruits either, apples and pears just don’t cut it for me. Who knew making the jam was so easy, but I’m still afraid of canning.

Karen Hartzell (@InTheKitchenKP) — September 30, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Love strawberries and balsamic together. I def have to give this one a try. My mouth is watering thinking about it on toast or fluffy biscuits! YUM!

The Wimpy Vegetarian — September 30, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I made Strawberry Balsamic Jam for the first time this year too, and am totally sold on it. I didn’t use a lot for my first go at it, and found that the balsamic vinegar brightened the strawberry flavor sooo much. Next time I’m going with a little more of it like you did. Yum!

Hezzi-D — September 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I’ve been a canning machine lately! I can’t wait to try this jam!

Martin D. Redmond — September 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Hadn’t thought of strawberry and balsamic together, but what a great combo!

Jenn and Seth — September 30, 2012 at 3:17 pm

this looks so delicious, i love that strawberry and balsamic combo!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 30, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Love this jam! I’ve made strawberry balsamic jam before and it was such a hit. I think I have to give your version a try too!

amy @ fearless homemaker — September 30, 2012 at 4:18 pm

This sounds absolutely wonderful! Love strawberries + balsamic together – YUM!

Melanie — September 30, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I have everything in my house to make this RIGHT NOW, and I think I know what I’m doing tonight…. yummy!

Sarah — September 30, 2012 at 5:44 pm

The family will LOVE this!

Amanda — September 30, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I would not have thought of making this but it sure looks delicious!!

diabeticFoodie — September 30, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I love balsamic with just about any fruit. I currently have blackberry-ginger, strawberry and black cherry balsamic vinegars in my pantry. LOVE them! Also love chocolate balsamic drizzled over fresh strawberries. Bet your jam is fantastic.

Kim Bee — September 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Not only delicious but pretty too. Absolutely love this recipe. I have a huge collection of balsamics I horde. I really need to start using them up.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — September 30, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Love strawberry and balsamic together, this jam sounds wonderful!

Anita at Hungry Couple — September 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Very clever use of the 5 ingredient challenge!

sunithi — September 30, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Lovely ! Love the addition of balsamic vinegar. 3 ingredients only ! Great !

Baking Serendipity — September 30, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I love strawberry jam, but have always made it basic and simple. The addition of balsamic in yours sounds so, so good!

Terra — September 30, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I remember last year at the cafe, I made a strawberry balsamic combo. I have never had the two flavors together, but fell in love with the combination:-) Your jam sounds fantastic! Hugs, Terra

Renee — October 1, 2012 at 6:32 am

Balsamic vinegar goes so well with strawberries. I doubt I would make a big batch and can since I do not have any canning supplies. I am thinking about cutting the amount down to make a little batch. Great jam.

Faye Leong — October 1, 2012 at 8:57 am

Love the combination of strawberry and balsamic vinegar, sweet and sour combination always my favorites. Thanks for sharing, Jenny!

Megan — October 1, 2012 at 9:50 am

!!!!!! Thank you! I am going to the store for strawberries today so I can make this. I LOVE Strawberries and balsamic together. I make it in salads all the time. This is perfect.

Soni — October 1, 2012 at 11:25 am

I’ve been wanting to try strawberry balsamic combo for quite sometime,but keep forgetting :) This is good reminder, and it looks super delicious!!!Love your tutorial on canning as I’ve never done it before!

Crazy Kwistin — October 1, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I love balsamic!! Brilliant to combine the two in a jam :)

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking — October 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I have lots of respect for people who make their own jam/preserves.
    I’m so scared of canning :(

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — October 2, 2012 at 10:17 am

OMG, I absolutely love this combination of strawberries with balsamic! There is a very popular ice cream shop here in Seattle, Molly Moon’s. . and this is one of her signature flavors! This and the salted caramel (kill me now, so good!). thank you for sharing! this awesome! http://www.mollymoonicecream.com/flavors

Susan — October 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I am so sad that strawberry season is over, thank you for taking us out with this awesome jam! Love the addition of balsamic vinegar to it!

1. Pingback: #SundaySupper Lumachine with Fresh Parmesan and Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce | Mama's Blissful Bites

2. Pingback: 5 Ingredients or less for #SundaySupper « Momma's Meals

3. Pingback: Pa Jun or Korean Scallion Pancakes #SundaySupper

4. Pingback: Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo

5. Pingback: Spaghetti with Kale & Sausage #SundaySupper | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts

6. Pingback: Fresh Mint Ice Cream with Mint M&M's - The Girl in the Little Red KitchenThe Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

7. Pingback: Roasted Shrimp With Chili-Lime Sauce for #SundaySupper

8. Pingback: I am really looking forward to this week's #SundaySupper

9. Pingback: Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes | Juanita's Cocina

10. Pingback: Beef Tenderloin with Stilton Pecan Butter for Dishes in 5 Ingredients or less #SundaySupper | | Noshing With The NolandsNoshing With The Nolands

11. Pingback: #SundaySupper: Honey Macaroons | Pippis in the Kitchen Again

12. Pingback: Quick Black Bean Burritos for #SundaySupper « Diabetic Foodie

13. Pingback: Roasted Moroccan Rack of Lamb {#SundaySupper} | marocmama.com

14. Pingback: Blacked Cajun Chicken with Wild Rice & Asparagus

15. Pingback: So Simple Pizza Puffs for 5 Ingredients Or Less #SundaySupperHip Foodie Mom | Hip Foodie Mom

16. Pingback: Herbed Butter Pork Chops #SundaySupper | Brie's Bites

17. Pingback: Stuffed Shells for #SundaySupper | Cravings of a Lunatic

18. Pingback: Five Most Food Friendly Wines For #SundaySupper - ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

19. Pingback: Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars #SundaySupper

20. Pingback: Grilled Polenta Cakes for #SundaySupper - Lovely Pantry | Lovely Pantry

21. Pingback: Crock Pot Chicken Tacos for #SundaySupper « The Hand That Rocks The Ladle

22. Pingback: #SundaySupper Feta & Broccoli Frittata errrr Skillet ;-) | Kwistin's Favorites

23. Pingback: Homemade Instant Oatmeal #SundaySupper - Home Cooking Memories

24. Pingback: 5 Ingredients or less for #SundaySupper |

25. Pingback: Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks: Chipotle Honey Lime Pork Tenderloin … | cooking-books

26. Pingback: Nutella Ice Cream for #SundaySupper

27. Pingback: Nutella Ice Cream for #SundaySupper

28. Pingback: 5 Ingredient Recipes – Creamy Ham Linguine for #SundaySupper » The Daily Dish Recipes

29. Pingback: Herbed Butter Pork Chops #SundaySupper