Orange Pumpkin Pancakes

Happy Wednesday, all! Today is a good day. Why? Because I’m posting my very first breakfast food on the blog. I made pancakes, and not just any pancakes, orange pumpkin pancakes. I had some leftover pumpkin puree in the fridge, and you know how much I love pumpkin, so I couldn’t resist making a jumbo stack of fluffy pancakes.

Squirrel (my hubby) isn’t a huge fan of pancakes (weird, I know), so I had to take on the task of eating the entire stack myself. I don’t make pancakes too often (thank you, Squirrel), so I was able to rise to the occasion. A jumbo stack of pancakes is no match for this gal; I took them down like a champ.

Hungry for pancakes? These are a must make pancake for fall. The warm pumpkin spice, zested orange peel, pumpkin puree, and fresh squeezed orange juice create the perfect fall pancake. I enjoyed these on Sunday with a homemade pumpkin spice latte, and they were delicious.

These pancakes only took me 5 minutes to mix up and 3 minutes to cook. You know what else is good? Pancakes for dinner. Talk about a quick meal, and the kiddies will feel like they’re getting a treat.

I like my pancakes crispy around the edges and fluffy on the inside with a hefty drizzle of maple syrup.

Enjoy!

Orange Pumpkin Pancakes

Dry

1 cup white whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
3 tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. orange zest

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and orange zest. Whisk to combine.

Wet

3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tbs. unsalted butter, melted
4 tbs. pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a small bowl, combine milk, orange juice, melted butter, pumpkin puree, egg, and vanilla extract.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, whisk to combine.

Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat and add a drizzle of canola oil. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour batter onto the pan (if you like your pancakes smaller, use less batter). Cook until the top of the pancakes are full of bubbles and the bottom is golden brown. Turn with a spatula and brown the other sides. Serve with butter and a drizzle of maple syrup.

23 Responses to “Orange Pumpkin Pancakes”

CCU — October 3, 2012 at 6:21 am

I I love these pancakes my friend, they are so delicious looking – seriously how do you do it :D

CCU

kita — October 3, 2012 at 7:25 am

Great pics! These pancakes look awesome

Jen @JuanitasCocina — October 3, 2012 at 7:45 am

What is the matter with Squirrel?

I’ll eat his portion.

Amber @mamapoolecooks — October 3, 2012 at 7:56 am

These are beautiful! We make pancakes every weekend, I’m going to give my husband your recipe to make! I’m excited!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — October 3, 2012 at 8:07 am

Congrats on your first breakfast post!! :P

My boy isn’t a huge pumpkin fan either.

These are so beautiful and do look super festive and fall-like and comforting :)

Kim @ Treats & Trinkets — October 3, 2012 at 9:53 am

Oh, you poor dear, having all of those pancakes all to yourself. I will selflessly offer myself to help you finish them. Because I’m such a good person and all.

what katie's baking — October 3, 2012 at 11:27 am

omg! this looks so delicious!

Dawn Lombardo — October 3, 2012 at 11:53 am

Yay!! I love pancakes and these look and sound so good. I will be making these this weekend.

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — October 3, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Oh, these pancakes sound fantastic! I think I could handle eating a big stack! :)

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — October 3, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Ooh, pumpkin pancakes! These would definitely get me up on a chilly fall morning. :D

Anita at Hungry Couple — October 3, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Yum! I have been meaning to make pumpkin pancakes but just haven’t had a chance yet. Soon…soon…

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — October 3, 2012 at 5:58 pm

your pancakes look soooo good! yum!

Liz — October 3, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Oh, these look perfect for a special breakfast…no, wait, for an anytime breakfast!!! I can’t wait!

Laura — October 3, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Yum I love breakfast for dinner. And pancakes. And pancakes (or waffles or French toast) flavored with pumpkin. Or sweet potato. LOL I am pretty easy to please when it comes to breakfast sweets!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking — October 4, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I know where I’m coming for breakfast tomorrow.

shannon — October 4, 2012 at 11:27 pm

your first blog breakfast food? this IS a good day! these make me so happy – i think it’s the orangeyness of them. normally i’m on Team Waffle (if there was a Team Waffle), but this one makes me feel like being on Team Pancake for little bit.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — October 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Amazing! If only I can have this for breakfast every morning! Maybe I’ll double the batch and freeze some so that can actually happen :)

Jenn and Seth — October 6, 2012 at 5:17 pm

gorgeous pancakes Jennie! they look fabulous!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — October 7, 2012 at 12:46 am

Yum! I would have never really thought about combining orange zest with pumpkin, but it sounds wonderful!

Dawn Lombardo — October 7, 2012 at 11:09 am

I made these this morning and let me just say….YUM!!!

Carla — October 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I don’t make pancakes too often, mainly because I only have time on Sundays. Then I end up making chocolate chip because, well, chocolate chip! haha Love how beautiful they look!

Terra — October 9, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Hmmmmm…YUM! I am in the mood for warm food lately, AND breakfast for dinner sounds perfect for my dinner tomorrow:-) They sound delicious, Hugs, Terra

1. Pingback: Spiced Chocolate Chip Pancakes with Homemade Caramel Syrup | Chocolate Moosey