Lemon Meringue Pie ~ #SundaySupper
Happy Sunday, all!
This week the #SundaySupper crew is teaming up with Chantal for a #BakeforaCure #SundaySupper. October is Breast Cancer Awarness month, and Chantal is working to create awareness with their baking products and is encouraging their audience to bake something for someone who is undergoing cancer treatment or has been affected by cancer. What says “get well soon” better than a baked good straight from the heart?
Chantal was generous enough to give 20 lucky #SundaySupper team members one of their Easy As Pie Dish to take for a test run, and I happened to be one of the lucky 20. Can I just tell you how thrilled I was to receive one of these gorgeous pie dishes…very! Baking is what I do best, so I was tickled to receive such an amazing pie dish. I may have even done a little dance when I found my name on the list of chosen bloggers. It’s the little things that thrill me most.
About Chantal: Chantal Cookware was founded by Heida Thurlow, a German-born citizen who relocated to the United States in 1971. Heida is considered to be the first woman in the U.S. to launch and run a cookware company.
Chantal is known for their innovation in kitchen cookware development and have achieved several firsts for the kitchen; including, introducing dramatic color to the table, designing tempered glass lids and stay-cool handles for cookware, and designing several intuitive features for cooking, serving, and storing.
About the Easy As Pie Dish: The newest innovation for bakers everywhere is the Easy As Pie-Dish™ from Chantal. The patented design simplifies the art of baking the perfect pie. Designed for ease, the interior ridges conveniently hold the dough in place and provide an even, uniform mold for the outer crust. A raised rim on the outside of the dish allows for precise trimming of excess dough. 9″ interior Diameter. Microwave, Oven, Freezer and Dishwasher safe (Chantal).
The Messy Baker’s Review: Chantal has created a gorgeous and user-friendly pie dish. I was lucky enough to receive their signature Apple Red color, which resembles the deep red of a red delicious apple. Its high shine glaze creates an appealing exterior, but also makes it easy to slice and remove a piece of pie effortlessly. The dish is extremely durable and is an item you’ll have in your collection for a lifetime.
The fluted rim is what makes this pie dish so special. The mold is stamped directly into the dish, making it easy to shape and trim the crust. It’s the perfect pie dish for a novice baker.
I decided to test out the pie dish with a lemon meringue pie.
Chantal’s Easy As Pie dish was a pleasure to bake with and is easy on the eyes. My pie came out of their dish effortlessly.
I may have gone a bit wild with the meringue. As you can see, the meringue is piled high on top of the lemon custard, which is the way I like it.
It reminds me of the lemon meringue pie on the spinning carousel at the diners.
The lemon custard is the perfect balance of sweet and tart. It almost didn’t make it into the pie crust…almost!
A bit of leg work (or should I say arm work) went into this pie, but, I promise, it’s definitely worth it.
Check out what the other #SundaySupper members are baking up:
These bloggers received the new Chantal Easy As Pie Dish to bake with:
- Pecan Pie by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Nana’s 3LB Deep Dish Apple Pie by I Run For Wine
- Upside-down Apple Pie by Comfy Cuisine
- Coconut Pie by Basic N Delicious
- Italian Chicken Pie by Momma’s Meals
- German Apple Pie by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Funny Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sweet Potato Pie with Gingersnap Crust by Webicurean
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie with Maple Whipped Cream by The Meltaways
- Ham and Spinach Quiche by Magnolia Days
- Pink Salmon Quiche by My Catholic Kitchen
- Grilled Eggplant Moussaka With Greek Yogurt White Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie by Big Bears Wife
- Pumpkin Maple Pie by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Spiced Pumpkin Pie with a Cinnamon Roll Crust by Daily Dish Recipes
- Pasteis de Nata ~ Portuguese Custard Tart by Family Foodie
- Chocolate Pie by Diabetic Foodie
- Fancified Shepard’s Pie by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Pink Lady Pie by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
And don’t miss out on the rest of the #BakeForACure recipes from the other #SundaySupper participants:
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Hazelnut Milk Chocolate Pie by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Flatbread with Grapes, Gruyere, Rosemary and Red Onions by Shockingly Delicious
- Salted Caramel Filled Chocolate Chip Cookie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candy Bar Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Quiches by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Apple Cranberry Slab Pie by Generation Y Foodie
- Gratin of Potatoes, Onions & Leeks by An Appealing Plan
- Garlic Rosemary Yeast Rolls by Gotta Get Baked
- Italian Tomato Tart by She likes ruffles, he likes truffles
- Impossible Cheeseburger Pie by In the Kitchen with KP
- 10 Grain Muffins by Mangiamo!
- Deep Dish Caramel Apple Pie by Mama Mommy Mom
- Date Crumb Pie by girlichef
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Doughnuts by What Smells So Good?
- 9 graham crackers
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tbs. brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tbs. melted butter
- Lemon Custard
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 large eggs
- 7 large egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 7 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch pie dish.
- Add graham crackers, pecans, brown sugar, and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to a fine crumb. Drizzle in the melted butter while pulsing until it looks like wet sand.
- Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of the pie dish and up the sides.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the crust is brown.
- Lemon Custard
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, combine lemon juice and lemon zest. Set aside for a few minutes to allow the zest to soften.
- In a medium, heat proof bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and sugar. Add the lemon juice and whisk until combined.
- Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water (make sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl). Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens to a pudding-like consistency, about 13 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the pan and whisk in the softened butter until melted. Strain the mixture through a mesh sieve and place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Almond Meringue
- Whisk the egg whites and sugar together in a heat proof bowl. Set the bowl over a pot of simmering water. Cook, whisking constantly, until the sugar is dissolved and the temperature reaches 140 degrees F. on an instant or candy thermometer, about 11 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the pan and pour into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat the mixture on high speed until stiff peaks form, adding the cream of tartar when the mixture begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. When the mixture begins to hold soft peaks, add the almond extract, then continue to mix until stiff peaks form, about 6 minutes total.
- Assemble Pie
- Preheat the broiler to low. Place the oven rack so it's sitting in the center of the oven.
- Take your lemon custard out the of the fridge and whisk until smooth. Add the custard to the cooled graham cracker crust.
- Place a generous helping of meringue on top of the custard and form peaks with the spatula.
- Place the pie under the broiler until the meringue begins to turn light brown. Make sure you don't' take your eye off of the pie while it's under the broil. Once the meringue reaches a light brown color, turn the broiler on high to toast the tips of the meringue. Take out of the oven and let sit at room temperature until ready to eat.
- Pie best served same day.
Chantal will be running an online promotion during the #BakeForaCure event. The promotion includes a discount coupon code- BAKE4CURE. The discount will be 20% OFF of ALL Chantal Pie dishes on www.chantal.com. The code must be entered at checkout to receive the pie dish discount. The coupon discount code is active October 16, 2012 through October 30, 2012.