Turtle Pretzels

I looked at my calendar the other day and got a jolt of reality. Christmas is only a little over a month away! If you’re anything like me, you’re scrambling at the last minute to put something nice together for friends and loved ones.

Before I went back to school, I would begin my Christmas shopping early, storing presents in the attic for the following year. Well, organization and strategic planning went out the door, along with my sanity, once I started classes for my Bachelor’s degree. I no longer have the time, energy, or excess funds to shop for Christmas. What do you do when that happens? Make homemade gifts, of course. Every year, I put together treats from the kitchen to give as Christmas gifts. Honestly, I think my friends and family appreciate it even more than a store-bought gift. Homemade gifts are thoughtful and crafted with your own hands, so it really shows that special someone how much you care.

What’s better than the gift of food?

I decided to make my most requested homemade holiday snack, turtle pretzels.  They only require three ingredients:  snap pretzels, Rolos, and pecans. The hardest part is unwrapping all of those golden little caramel filled chocolates. I’m tempted to write the Rolo company and put in a request for unwrapped Rolos. Does that make me lazy?

These candies are Christmas crack! People can’t get enough of them, and I can’t keep up with the demand each year. There have even been fights in the past over who gets the last candy on the plate. They turn civilized people into ravenous beasts.

Have you ever seen the episode of Friends where Monica decides to make chocolates for Christmas so she can make friends with her neighbors? Well, the neighbors loved the chocolates so much that they formed an angry mob at the door because Monica was unable to produce the chocolates fast enough. That’s me every year!

I’m tempted to carry these candies around with me during the holiday season to bribe people into getting what I want. Long line at the department store? Give the cashier one of these and you’ll be at the front of the line in no time. The sale doesn’t start until tomorrow? Give the sales clerk one of these and you’ll be VIP for a day. Somebody just grabbed the very last dancing Elmo doll that little Bobby wants ever so badly? Bust out a bag of these candies and Bobby’s mom will hand it over without a fight.

I don’t suppose bribing is very holiday like, is it?

What I’m trying to say is, if you make these you’ll become a holiday superhero. Everybody will adore you and your chocolates. You’ll be the talk of the season.

Enjoy!

Turtle Pretzel Candy

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Candy
Ingredients
  • Snap Pretzels (square shaped)
  • Rolos, unwrapped
  • Pecan halves
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
  2. Line the baking pan with the snap pretzels. Top with Rolos.
  3. Bake for 60-90 seconds, just enough to soften the chocolates but not melt them.
  4. While the chocolates are warm, top with pecan halves. Press the pecans slightly to spread the chocolate over the pretzel.
  5. Place in the refrigerator to cool. Package them for the holidays or store in an airtight container.

79 Responses to “Turtle Pretzels”

Baker Street — November 11, 2012 at 7:25 am

Woah! This pretty much has everything I want! What a fabulous idea, Jen! Love it!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — November 11, 2012 at 8:34 am

These are irresistible, and so cute! Happy Sunday Jennie!

Renee — November 11, 2012 at 8:37 am

I’ve had these before and I could not get enough of them. So easy to make. I’ll have to get my husband to help with unwrapping the Rolos.

Nicole @ The Daily Dish — November 11, 2012 at 9:53 am

Oh my goodness Jennie, yum!
    I’ve had something similar but never as cute as you just presented. Now I want some. Such a great idea and perfect gift.

Jen @JuanitasCocina — November 11, 2012 at 10:01 am

I’m on your Christmas list, right? Just checking…

Heather @girlichef — November 11, 2012 at 10:09 am

Count me in with those ravenous beasts – I LOVE these things! They are so going onto my holiday goodies trays this year.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 11, 2012 at 10:15 am

Christmas crack? Uh YES PLEASE! Love the way you photographed these too! Using christmas ornaments is genius! I wish I had thought of that!

Katie — November 11, 2012 at 10:31 am

I am loving this recipe – the flavors, the easy creation….it’s a winner all around! I want a big handful myself…

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — November 11, 2012 at 10:40 am

What a fabulous gift idea, Jennie! So easy, my girls could make these! Have a wonderful Sunday! xo

veronica gantley — November 11, 2012 at 11:03 am

I love that this has omly three ingredients. These are very addictive.

Tara Noland — November 11, 2012 at 11:18 am

These are great and I am for sure going to be making some this holiday season. Thanks for sharing on #SundaySupper!

Bea — November 11, 2012 at 11:19 am

I certainly would take a bribe of these delicious Turtle Pretzels. Beautiful presentation!

conni smith — November 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I have seen these a couple times now…and I seriously think I am going to have to try them out!

Soni — November 11, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Such a neat idea and so cute :) I can imagine why they’re so much in demand every year :) Love how incredibly easy this is to make!!

CCU — November 11, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Mmmmmm I would eat much too many of these delicious treats :)

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — November 11, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I have made these with Kisses & M&M’s, but I love the turtle combo. And the photos are beautiful!

Sarah — November 11, 2012 at 5:09 pm

OMG they\re adorable!

Hezzi-D — November 11, 2012 at 5:44 pm

SOmeone made these for me last year and I had no idea they were this easy! Can’t wait to make them myself.

Sheila — November 11, 2012 at 5:48 pm

So easy and delicious! Thanks for sharing. I will have to make these soon!

Audrey's Mamma — November 11, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I have seen similar recipes but have never tried them. I am afraid my helpers will eat all the rolos while prepping!

Cindys Recipes — November 11, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Whew! Glad these are Rolo candy and not real turtles!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — November 11, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Those are the cutest/prettiest little treats ever. I love how easy these are!

Also-um I love that episode. I want to BE Monica. Like…so bad.

• Jennie replied November 12th, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Thanks, Kayle. I have pictured myself as Monica a time or two. She’s so high strung and energetic; I just love it!

Liz — November 11, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Oh, these are divine!!! I’ve made them topped with an M&M, but pecans are even better!!!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — November 11, 2012 at 8:53 pm

What a lovely gift these would make! Perfect for co-workers!

Jenn and Seth — November 11, 2012 at 9:11 pm

i just made these tonight – and they are AMAZING! love them soooo much – so thank you for the recipe!!

• Jennie replied November 12th, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Jenn, you are quick! You must have had an intense turtle craving happening. I’m so glad you enjoy them; now watch them disappear :)

Family Foodie — November 11, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Who doesn’t love a turtle pretzel? These are awesome and I know my friends will love them!

• Jennie replied November 12th, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I can’t think of one person. Not a one! Thanks, Isabel.

Kim Bee — November 11, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Okay these are adorable. I tried making them once and think I cooked them wrong. Trying these as soon as possible. I have such a huge love affair with turtles. When I say that out loud it just sounds so wrong.

• Jennie replied November 12th, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Thanks, Kim! So wrong, but so right. I know what you mean. It’s all about the chocolate.

Lyn @LovelyPantry — November 12, 2012 at 1:05 am

Oh. Wow. How. Cute. Is. THIS? I love how they are assembled. Gorg photos! Oh, and requesting unwrapped rolos doesn’t make you lazy – it makes you PRACTICAL. lol :-)

• Jennie replied November 12th, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Thanks for making me feel better about the Rolo situation. Practical is a good word.

The Wimpy Vegetarian — November 12, 2012 at 1:32 am

Between your post and Lanes’ at Supper For a Steal, my mom would have been thrilled – her favorite nut was pecans! Sadly I’m allergic, but I want to find a way to make these anyway. So creative, and so good!!

• Jennie replied November 12th, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear that Susan. You can top them with m&m candies instead or sandwich the rolo between a pretzel.

Laura Hunter — November 12, 2012 at 4:46 am

These are so cute and get so simple to make. It would be a perfect gift for the ladies that work in my daughter’s nursery. Thank you

• Jennie replied November 12th, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Thanks, Laura! Don’t be surprised if the gals coming knocking at your door for more.

Carla — November 12, 2012 at 1:09 pm

So simple yet so genius! I’m already imaging the different variations I can do with different candy bars. Btw I love your photo set up! I always feel mine are missing an element as far as decorating.

• Jennie replied November 12th, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Thanks, Carla. I adore your photo presentations. I look up to you as a photographer. I happen to have a ton of Christmas decor, so I rummaged through that until I found some holiday accessories.

Sarah — November 12, 2012 at 2:42 pm

If I were to receive these little treats as a holiday gift from someone, oh I don’t know,let’s say from you. I would hog them and eat them all on the spot. I am greedy and sharing is not allowed when it comes to turtle pretzels. Yummy!

• Jennie replied November 12th, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Sarah, I would love to send you some of these delicious treats. Trust me, you won’t want to share these. Thanks!

Terra — November 12, 2012 at 9:54 pm

So I may not be a chocolate lover…..BUT whenever I eat chocolate treats, I choose turtles. Love, love the flavor combo, AND they are just plan delicious:-) This recipe would be a fun Christmas present, and made from the heart:-) Hugs, Terra

Anita at Hungry Couple — November 13, 2012 at 12:23 am

I would be extremely happy if I got a gift of a jar full of those. You have my address, right? :)

Faye Leong — November 13, 2012 at 3:11 am

What a creative way of making Turtle Pretzels – easy and yummy! Thanks for sharing.

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — November 13, 2012 at 8:48 am

What a perfect gift for Christmas! I know for a fact that most of my friends would choose a bag of these over a store bought gift!

Arlene @FlourOnMyFace — November 14, 2012 at 8:52 am

Oh my if I made these I would have to hide a bunch or I would never get any.

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — November 14, 2012 at 10:42 am

These are awesome!! I love how simple they are (simplicity during the holidays is a MUST), but how adorable and delicious they look at the same time. You’re so right–it’s totally the thoughtfulness of a homemade gift that makes them 2873468237x better than a storebought version! I’m totally making these for the holidays (and btw, totally stand behind writing Rolo to make unwrapped candies!!)

amy @ fearless homemaker — November 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm

These look adorable + I know they must taste just wonderful. Wish I had a handful for my afternoon snack!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — November 14, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Girl, you’re brilliant. These are amazing! So simple but sooooo delicious. I want to run out to buy the ingredients right now so that I can make and eat these tonight. And if bribery isn’t an integral part of the holidays, then I don’t know what is ;) I’d gladly give you anything you wanted for a bucketful of these (greed is also an integral part of the holidays, in my opinion)!

Susan — November 15, 2012 at 4:27 pm

This is the perfect bite. Salt, sugar and pecans! Also I love that episode of Friends! Who am I kidding, I just love Friends!

mommasmeals — November 16, 2012 at 9:02 am

Oh Jenni these are fabulous! Yummy and I can see why you’d be a holiday goddess for making these! I’m putting them on my list! :)

Brandie (@ Home Cooking Memories) — November 17, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I’ve seen these before, but never made them, but seeing your photos make me want to make these this year during my holiday baking! Great job, Jennie!

Tiffany Webb — December 11, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I LOVE these! So easy and soo yummy! I use butter flavor snaps and just a helpful tip… Buy your rolos at the checkout and not in big bag from candy aisle. I know it’s less expensive to buybig bag but the rolls of rolos are so much quicker to unwrap, instead of the individually wrapped, each roll has 10 rolos! I made 100 of these tasty lil treats for one of my parties and they went fast!

• Jennie replied December 22nd, 2012 at 8:51 am

Thanks for the tip, Tiffany! Unwrapping them is a pain, but so worth it.

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — November 5, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Turtle Pretzels are the best turtles! Totally Christmas crack. Salty-sweet and perfectly chocolate-y and gooey. The ideal homemade gift and I love your photography here, Jennie. Tiffany is right about those 10-pack rolos. Much easier. Thanks for sharing!

• Jennie replied November 6th, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Oh my gosh, Stacy, they’re so addictive. My family and friends bug me for them every year. I need to try the 10-pack. Thanks!

1. Pingback: Gifts From the Kitchen : Harissa | The Wimpy Vegetarian

2. Pingback: Hot Chocolate on a Stick ~ Gifts From the Kitchen #SundaySupper! | Juanita's Cocina

3. Pingback: Herb Vinegar #SundaySupper | Cindy's Recipes and Writings

4. Pingback: Rocky Road Candy Recipe for Gifts from the Kitchen #SundaySupper

5. Pingback: Holiday Tree Cake for Gifts From The Kitchen at #SundaySupper | | Noshing With The NolandsNoshing With The Nolands

6. Pingback: Pumpkin Cake Rolls

7. Pingback: Maple Nut Granola #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red KitchenThe Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

8. Pingback: Butter and Blackberry Jam thumbprint cookies #SundaySupper | Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends

9. Pingback: Chocolate toffee "crack" recipe | She likes ruffles, he likes truffles

10. Pingback: Homemade Peppermint Mocha Mix #SundaySupper #HolidayGift

11. Pingback: Pumpkin Biscoff Bread #SundaySupper | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts

12. Pingback: #SundaySupper: Snickerdoodle Snack Mix | Pippis in the Kitchen Again

13. Pingback: Maple Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars — Cupcakes & Kale Chips

14. Pingback: Cherry Extract #SundaySupper | Cravings of a Lunatic

15. Pingback: Banana Coconut Coffee Cake with Macadamia Nut Streusel for #SundaySupper - Lovely Pantry | Lovely Pantry

16. Pingback: Cranberry Strawberry Jam for a Gifts From The Kitchen #SundaySupper | The Meltaways

17. Pingback: Orange Spiced Roasted Chickpeas #SundaySupper - Home Cooking Memories

18. Pingback: Doce de Abobora

19. Pingback: Gifts From The Kitchen for #SundaySupper |

20. Pingback: Cranberry Chutney with Apricot & Almonds

21. Pingback: Gifts in a Jar – Gingerbread Spice Mocha Coffee Mix #SundaySupper » The Daily Dish Recipes

22. Pingback: Salted Caramel Cookies #SundaySupper | Mama.Mommy.Mom.

23. Pingback: Cookie Cutter Fudge | Chocolate Moosey