Peanut Butter & Banana Chip Granola
Baking season is in full swing, and I’m pumping out sweet treats like they’re going out of style. I’ve been baking so much that my skin is imparted with the smell of butter and sugar. Mmm, I smell delicious!
You want cookies? I got ‘em by the dozens. Mini loaves of bread? Uh huh. Fudge? You betcha. Rice krispie treats? Heck yes! You name it, I have it. I’m knee deep in all things sweet and I don’t want to be dug out. I’m living the high life, eating cookies for just about every meal. Hey, it’s the holidays. My motto is eat now and worry later.
To help break up the monotony of cookie recipes, I made a peanut butter & banana chip granola. This is on my list of food gifts this year, and it’s a winner.
The oats and almonds get coated in a creamy peanut butter and brown sugar base and toasted in the oven until brown and nutty. Once the mixture cools, I toss in handfuls of dark chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and banana chips.
I sit in front of the TV and snack on handfuls of this granola while watching my favorite shows. It’s healthy, yet it will satisfy your sweet tooth.
Add the granola to a pretty glass jar and wrap a big old red bow around it to give to that special someone for the holidays. Don’t be surprised if you get a bunch of emails asking for the recipe. It’s that good!
Here’s what I’ve been cooking/baking over the past few weeks:
Orange Sugar Cookies by Movita Beaucoup- These are the softest cookies you will ever eat, and they’re so easy to make.
Spicy Chicken Rigatoni by Juanita’s Cocina- This makes for a great weeknight meal. So good, yet so easy.
Parsnip and Carrot Latkes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen- This was my very first attempt at latkes. Let’s just say that I’m now a huge fan. These are amazing!
Salted Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies by A Periodic Table- Whoa, are these cookies huge, but they’re one of the best cookies I’ve ever shoved into my cookie hole. The toasted hazelnuts. The chocolate. The salty bite. This is one great cookie and a must try.
There’s also a winner in the house. Congratulations to #35, Donna Currie, for winning the Hodgson Mill giveaway. Happy baking!
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1½ cups whole almonds
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1½ cups banana chips
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oats and almonds.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine brown sugar, peanut butter, canola oil, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the peanut butter is smooth and the brown sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Take the mixture off of the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture over the oats and fold until all of the oats are coated with peanut butter mixture.
- Pour the oat mixture evenly onto the prepared sheet pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the oats are golden brown.
- Cool the mixture completely on a wire rack before tossing with the banana chips, peanut butter chips, and dark chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container.