Slice of Life Saturday’s ~ New Bling!

Happy Saturday, all! I hope you’re out there enjoying your day off. I can guarantee you that I’ll be in the kitchen whipping up, well, a little bit of everything this weekend.

I’m trying out this new thing. Every Saturday, I’m going to try (emphasis on the word try) to provide you with a little write-up. Let’s call it a journal entry, of sorts. I’m going to jot down weekly happenings for you as the week progresses, then I’m going turn it into a cohesive post. I’ll share some deep funny, average, day-to-day insight into my week.

You’re also going to get a glimpse of how deep my obsession with food runs. I’ll warn you, it’s real deep. That means, I’m going to be sharing the dishes I’ve made throughout the week, my favorite recipes from other bloggers, items I’ve pinned, and what I’m craving. I love food… Can you tell?

This week was an exciting week. Squirrel surprised me with the anniversary ring I found and fell in love with 2 weeks ago. Here, I’ll show you:

IMG_1007Isn’t she pretty? It really sparkles, so much so that I can’t stop staring at it. I was bored in my poetry class last Tuesday, so passed the time by staring at my ring.

I decided to chop off all of my hair. Blow drying started taking forever, so I kissed it good-bye and had it chopped off.

See:

IMG_1001

I made and ate a lot of funfetti cookies this past week. Recipe development is hard work, but somebody has to do it. I decided to test out funfetti cookies using yellow cake batter. I’m still in the process of tweaking the recipe to get it just right, but I hope to have it to you soon. For now, I must bake and eat cookies until I get it just right. I’m thinking about hiring some recipe testers. I pay in food.

IMG_0999

I scarfed down my share of cookies; it’s somebody else’s turn. Any volunteers? Anyone? They’re funfetti!

IMG_0993

The nice people over at SueBee sent me a ton of honey products to taste, test, and review. I can’t wait to get in the kitchen and play with my new honey products. I’m thinking a honey-almond tea cake with orange zest.

Here are some of the recipes I pinned this week:

Chocolate Cherry M&M Thumbprint Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
Light Tzatziki Tuna Salad by Sarcastic Cooking
Chocolate Heart Cupcakes by Whipped
S’mores Pie by The Cooking Actress
Pretzel Bites w/ Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese Sauce by A Kitchen Addiction

I have a long list of cravings (as I am always hungry), but here’s a glimpse at the recipes I can’t get out of my head:

Skinny Banana Bread w/ Cream Cheese Swirl by Hungry Couple
Buttermilk Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream Sandwiches by A Periodic Table
Philly Cheesesteak Pizza by The Healthy Foodie

Look what I made:

Chicken Macaroni & Cheese by The Cooking Actress: This recipe was absolutely delicious. Squirrel and I took down the entire pan in one evening. This dish is perfect for quick weeknight cooking. Thanks for the recipe, Kayle!
Salted Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies by A Periodic Table: I know I’ve mentioned these cookies before, but I’m going to talk about them again. These cookies are a frequent flyer in my kitchen. They’re huge, nutty, chewy, and scrumptious. Thanks for sharing, Shannon!
Hawaiian-Style Short Ribs made in the slow-cooker:  My husband really enjoyed this recipe, so much that he only left me 2 short ribs out of the eight I made. I adapted the recipe a bit and will be making it agian and posting my version of this recipe.
Chicken Enchiladas by Annie’s Eats: Of course, being the queen of adaptation, I made them my own, but the base of this recipe is a winner. They tasted authentic, like we were enjoying them from our favorite mexican restaraunt. So good!
Pomegranate Pear Champagne Punch by Eat.Drink.Love: I love bubbly. Add a little fruit to it, and it’s even better. My mom and I enjoyed these Friday evening while watching Iron Man. Not only did we fall in love with Robert Downey Jr., we fell in love with this bubbly cocktail. It’s a must try!

On the menu:

Smoky Chipotle Chicken Tacos
Creamy Slow-Cooker Tomato Soup w/ Grilled Cheese by Pass the Sushi
Cajun Chicken Alfredo
Chicken Fried Steak w/ Mashed Taters by The Pioneer Woman

See you next week!

17 Responses to “Slice of Life Saturday’s ~ New Bling!”

CJ at Food Stories — February 9, 2013 at 9:50 am

Love your sassy new do and the ring is gorg :-)

• Jennie replied February 9th, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Thanks, CJ!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — February 9, 2013 at 9:51 am

Oh man, I wish I could cut my hair short and pull it off, it would solve so many problems. I love your new cut!

• Jennie replied February 9th, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Thank you so much, Paula!

Anita at Hungry Couple — February 9, 2013 at 10:35 am

Great ring and cute cut. Thanks for being obsessed with my skinny banana bread! ;)

• Jennie replied February 9th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I really am Anita. I have some over-ripe bananas on the counter that would make some amazing bread.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — February 9, 2013 at 11:10 am

I LOVE THIS NEW THING! Yayyy for more Jennie! your ring is gorge, I love your hair, and yayyy food!

• Jennie replied February 9th, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Thanks, Kayle! Food is the BEST!

Sheila Fretz — February 9, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Love the post of your week such a positive approach to diary your life! I love it….

• Jennie replied February 9th, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Thanks, Sheila!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — February 10, 2013 at 1:47 am

The hair looks great and the ring is gorgeous!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — February 10, 2013 at 1:49 am

Love the new ring and hairdo!!! How exciting!!

CCU — February 10, 2013 at 4:54 am

AAAAH what a gorgeous ring my friend, it looks so pretty :)

Laura Dembowski — February 10, 2013 at 3:54 pm

This is such a great idea for a post! You made so many different things this week. I rarely make a set recipe unless I’m posting it on my blog, so it’s awesome you do it just for fun :)

Holly — February 11, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Congratulations on your engagement! How exciting! And your hair looks great too, what a week!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — February 11, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I’m loving your new Saturday instalment of Slice of Life, Jennie. I always appreciate when bloggers go beyond the food and offer glimpses of their personal life. I’m a total stalker/voyeur so it satisfies my twisted curiousity about how people live, lol. Congratulations on the beautiful anniversary ring – its gorgeous! Squirrel is a good man. And you know I love the hair – you’re really rockin it, lady!

shannon — February 20, 2013 at 9:29 am

yay for posts about daily life! you know i haven’t been able to start my “it’s just me” posts yet, but that’s probably the best indicator of my own life right now. :) love the anniversary ring! and your hair looks super cute like that (i feel for you; my blow drying is a ‘forever’ type of thing in the morning, too).