Funky Monkey Ice Cream @RigonidiAsiago #Giveaway
Are you wondering what funky monkey ice cream is? Of course you are!
Funky monkey ice cream is my version of the classic banana/chocolate ice cream combo. It’s banana ice cream with an added chocolate-hazelnut swirl to funk it out.
You guys are in for a real treat, because this ice cream is the bomb diggity!
I swirled the banana ice cream with Rigoni di Asiago Nocciolata Hazelnut Spread. Never heard of Nocciolata? It’s an all-organic hazelnut spread made with cocoa and milk. The Rigoni di Asiago company is family owned and operated on the Asiago plateau in Italy. Their products are made with top quality raw ingredients from the surrounding areas.
Nocciolata is a rich, creamy hazelnut spread bursting with an abundance of chocolate flavor. It’s smooth, velvety texture creates a perfect swirl that adds a rich depth of chocolate flavor to this ice cream.
It’s a party in your mouth… For reals! This ice cream will go from being an evening snack to a full on obsession.
I was going to roast the bananas, but I quickly disregarded that thought when I found out I would have to turn on my oven to accomplish that task. Roasting=high oven temperature, and high oven temperature=hot kitchen. No thank you!
On to the next method.
I improvised and cooked the bananas on the stove. I added thick slices of banana to a sauté pan with butter and brown sugar and let them bubble in a pool of caramel sauce until sticky.
Those lucky bananas. What I’d give to swim in a pool of sticky caramel…
This ice cream is so funky it has its own theme song. Ever heard of a band by the name of The Beastie Boys? Maybe a little song by the name of Brass Monkey? Yeah, The Beastie Boys know what’s up.
If you really want to get funky, listen to Brass Monkey while mixing up this ice cream. What’s scary is that I believe to be one of boys. I get my rap arms flapping and start spitting words right along with the trio. If you ever peek through my window, what you’d see would scare and terrify. My rap moves are less than flattering.
Banana ice cream, chocolate-hazelnut swirl, toasted pecans… You need this. You want this. You gotta have it!
There’s no denying your desire to reach through the screen, grab the bowl, and chow down. Seconds? Yup, you’ll want seconds. Thirds? Of course. You won’t stop thinking about this ice cream until you’ve eaten every last spoonful.
The bite: Thick, creamy banana ice cream–so thick and creamy it verges on gelato consistency. Rich banana flavor so sweet it’s sinful. Each bite is full of creamy chocolate-hazelnut swirl and chunks of toasted pecans.
After digging in, my girlfriend told me that she was going to stop going out to eat. She said from now on, she’s just going to come over my house to eat and pay me for my troubles. I take that as a huge compliment. Funky Monkey ice cream success–that’s what I’m talking about.
Want to win some Nicciolata Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread so you can make this delicious recipe? Of course you do!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 bananas, cut into thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup chocolate-hazelnut spread (Nocciolata or Nutella)
- 1 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- Add half and half to a large bowl and place a mesh strainer on top.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the heavy cream, sugar, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat just until the mixture is hot to the touch (do not boil).
- Slowly pour the heated milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Add the egg mixture back to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Pour the mixture through the strainer. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Heat the butter in a medium-sized sauté pan over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the bananas and brown sugar. Cook until the sugar dissolves and caramelizes slightly, about 2 minutes. Transfer the banana mixture to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour in the milk mixture and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container. Chill completely in the refrigerator before churning, about 6-8 hours.
- Pour the chilled mixture into your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Heat the chocolate-hazelnut spread in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften for easy swirling.
- When the ice cream is finished churning, pour half of the mixture into a freezer-safe bowl (preferably one with a lid). Drizzle with half of the chocolate-hazelnut spread and top with ½ cup of the chopped pecans. Using a knife, swirl the mixture. Top with remaining ice cream and repeat the process once more. Cover the ice and place in the freezer to set. Enjoy!
Disclosure: Rigoni di Asiago provided me with product to review. All opinions are my own.