Cherry & Granola Breakfast Parfait

Summer isn’t my favorite season. There, I said it. It’s out in the open now. I know a lot of you love and adore summer. Hey, to each there own. I’m more of a fall gal. I only like summer when I’m sitting on the beach in my bikini sipping a fruity cocktail.

I blame my dislike for summer on the heat. I just can’t handle the relentless dog days of summer. Having my thighs stick to the seat of my car, my hair uncontrollably frizzed out, and sweat in places it doesn’t belong is not appealing to me.

I gotta give summer credit, though. It sure does provide the best produce. Juicy peaches, ripe plums, big, red tomatoes, sweet blueberries, and vibrant cherries. I suppose it’s an even trade off–heat for fresh fruits and veggies.

I’ve been slicing and eating juicy peaches like they’re going out of style, which, in a few weeks, they will be. There have been endless bowls of blueberries in my refrigerator since the end of spring, tupperware containers of cubed sweet melons of every variety, and, my favorite, collanders of candy-like red cherries.

Cherry & Granola Parfaits | www.themessybakerblog.com-8061

I pluck the beautiful red orbs from the collander every time I open my refrigerator door. Sure, they’re great right from the stem, but they’re even better reduced down to a sweet compote and spooned over tangy Greek yogurt with a sprinkling of crunchy granola.

Cherry & Granola Parfaits | www.themessybakerblog.com-8058

Cherry & granola breakfast parfaits–breakfast at it’s finest.

Cherry & Granola Parfaits | www.themessybakerblog.com-8051

I used my very trusty OXO cherry pitter to pit the 4 cups of cherries needed for this recipe. Thanks to OXO, pitting cherries is a breeze.

Cherry & Granola Parfaits | www.themessybakerblog.com-8042

The compote is a cinch to throw together. Add the 4 cups of cherries to a pot, along with cherry juice and agave syrup. Let the mixture simmer for 40-45 minutes, and you have yourself a pot of sweet cherries in syrup.

Stacy from Wicked Good Kitchen this genius idea to add cherry juice to her tart cherry pie filling recipe. So, I did like she did and added some cherry juice to the compote. The cherry juice adds an extra oomph of cherry flavor and sweetness. Thanks, Stacy!

Cherry & Granola Parfaits | www.themessybakerblog.com-8054

I truly believe that Greek yogurt and cherries are made for each other. The sweet cherries and tangy yogurt are the perfect balance of flavors.

Cherry & Granola Parfaits | www.themessybakerblog.com-8046

Add a scoop of your favorite tangy Greek yogurt to a jar and top it with a heaping spoonful of sweet cherry compote and a generous helping of your favorite granola.

Cherry & Granola Parfaits | www.themessybakerblog.com-8050

If you’re not a fan of yogurt parfaits, no worries. You can spoon it over vanilla yogurt, use it in this Cherry Vanilla Almond Overnight Oatmeal by The Spiffy Cookie, pour it over warm oatmeal, or blend it into a smoothie.

5.0 from 2 reviews
Cherry & Granola Breakfast Parfait

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 3 cups
Ingredients
Cherry Compote
  • 4 cups pitted cherries (1 pound 10 ounces)
  • ½ cup cherry juice
  • ½ cup agave
  • juice of ½ a lemon
  • pinch of kosher salt
Parfaits:
  • Greek yogurt
  • Cherry Compote
  • Granola (your favorite)
Instructions
Cherry Compote
  1. Add all of the ingredients to a pot. Simmer on medium-low heat for 40-45 minutes, or until the compote thickens and becomes syrupy.
Assemble Parfaits
  1. Add a few spoonfuls of Greek yogurt to the bottom of a glass jar or bowl. Layer with a few spoonfuls of cherry compote and sprinkle with your favorite granola
**Notes: The cherry compote is also delicious as a topping for ice cream, oatmeal, cereal, and blended into a smoothie.

47 Responses to “Cherry & Granola Breakfast Parfait”

CCU — August 22, 2013 at 5:43 am

Haha I’m with you on bittersweet feelings about summer though fruit is a major positive! Love your idea this looks healthy and delish! :)

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:58 am

Thanks, Uru!

movita beaucoup — August 22, 2013 at 6:49 am

Summer is my least favourite of the seasons. Does it have crisp leaves? No. Snowflakes and twinkle lights? Pfffft. Buds and baby animals? Nope. It has sweaty armpits, stinky feet and little children roaming about freely. Bleck.

This parfait, by the way, looks awesome.

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:58 am

In the summer, the children never sleep, which means I never sleep. What’s up with that? I’m all for jumping in heaping piles of leaves and bright twinkle lights. Twinkle lights are the glowing sprinkles of winter.

Renee — August 22, 2013 at 8:04 am

Gorgeous parfaits Jennie! They look so tasty. Pinned.

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:56 am

Thanks, Renee!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — August 22, 2013 at 8:47 am

Oh-mah-gosh, girl! I just adore granola (could eat it every day for every meal just about) as well as cherries (tart or sweet) and Greek yogurt. Mmm. And, agave nectar is my favorite way to sweeten as it is low glycemic. As you know, I just adore tart cherry juice! Thanks ever so much for creating this tasty recipe. Peeps are gonna love it. It’s like it was custom made for me, LOL! xoxo P.S. My favorite season is fall, too. LOVE. IT.

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:56 am

Thanks for sharing your tasty cherry methods. I love adding extra cherry flavor with cherry juice.

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — August 22, 2013 at 10:45 am

I’m totally with you on summer. If it wasn’t for the glorious bounty of summer produce, it would be my least favorite season–I HATE hot weather. These parfaits look beautiful!

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:55 am

My hair hates hot weather. I’m on board with summer produce all the way.

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — August 22, 2013 at 12:24 pm

OK, I am totally a fall weather and clothing kind of girl too. But with the arrival of fall means the impending winter, which I am NOT a fan of. I love summer produce and I wish it could stick around all year! I am doing my grocery shopping tomorrow and just added cherries to the list! Can’t wait to make these over the weekend!

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:55 am

If only fall was year round.

Lane @ Supper for a Steal — August 22, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Before attempting this I should probably invest in a cherry pitter, but it looks delicious! Weirdly enough I’m not a huge cherry fan, but my favorite yogurt flavor is cherry… So I know I would love this.

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:49 am

A cherry pitter is a must. I pitted cherries one time without one and I will never do it again. Thanks, Lane!

Anita at Hungry Couple — August 22, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I do love summer but fall is a close second. I love cherries with my Greek yogurt and those moody photos turned out perfectly!

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:48 am

Thanks, Anita. I love moody photography now. Less light required, which means more time to take photos. Whoop!

Kim Bee — August 22, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I need this in my life right now.

I also need a pool.

Just sayin’.

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:48 am

If you get a pool, let me know. Summer would be so much better with a pool.

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com — August 23, 2013 at 9:37 am

This cherry compote looks so delish! Such a healthy recipe-thanks so much for sharing it!

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:47 am

Thanks for visiting, Shashi!

Kim@Treats & Trinkets — August 23, 2013 at 10:20 am

I’d like summer if it wasn’t so hot. Is that weird to say? Like if it stayed in the low to mid eighties, it would be perfect.

Speaking of perfect, these parfaits sound like the perfect breakfast. Yummmmm

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:47 am

I want to find an area that stays 70 degrees all year. Does such a place even exist?

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — August 23, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I love summer but my favourite season hands down is fall. That’s why I chose October to get married in. There’s nothing like cold, crispy, sunny fall days that eventually lead into the happiest time of the year (gawd I love Christmas!). But you’re right about all the delicious summer produce. I’ve been trying to freeze as much summer fruit as my tiny freezer will hold! Your breakfast parfait looks scrumptious, Jen. I like the tip about adding cherry juice to the cherries. Now I need to get me an OXO cherry pitter. Doing it by hand with a knife makes me want to stab myself with said knife!

• Nancy @ gottagetbaked replied August 23rd, 2013 at 4:19 pm

*crisp not crispy. Geez, I’ve got granola on the brain ;)

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:46 am

Ba ha ha!

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:46 am

I bet your October wedding was gorgeous. If I could get married all over again, it would be in the fall. Yeah, girl, get yourself a pitter. It saves so much time.

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — August 23, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Fabulous! I love Greek yogurt topped with cherries! Add granola and you have a fantastic treat!

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:46 am

I could eat Greek yogurt for breakfast every day and never tire. Thanks!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — August 24, 2013 at 1:57 am

Summer might be my least favorite season, especially now living in Arizona. Team fall all the way!! This looks like the perfect breakfast!!

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:45 am

You poor gal. Arizona is hotttttttt!

Andrew James — August 25, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I can understand your reason for not liking summer but its my favorite time of year. On a good note i’m with you all the way with your granola with cherries

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:44 am

I know a ton of summer-loving people. I’m just not one of them. Thanks for visiting!

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — August 26, 2013 at 11:39 am

Such a yummy way to start the day!!

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:44 am

Thanks, Cathy!

Jenn and Seth — August 27, 2013 at 10:46 am

gorgeous Jennie!! This is an absolutely lovely way to start the day!

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:43 am

Thanks! It’s so much better than cold cereal.

ashley - baker by nature — August 28, 2013 at 1:22 pm

What a creamy, dreamy, little breakfast treat!

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:42 am

Thanks, Ashley!

shannon — August 29, 2013 at 6:53 am

summer isn’t my favorite season either, but you know that. However, the one thing it does have going for it is the produce, for sure! i wish i could drag what’s in season now right through the rest of the year, because it’s the one thing i miss when summer is over. well, that an vacation. also pools. but not the heat.
    i need a cherry pitter! because this looks just lovely, and i actually changed my mind about making a recipe the other day b/c i didn’t want to sit and hand-pit six cups of cherries. i still feel ashamed. :) I want to make this before the cherries are gone from the markets.

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:42 am

The sweet produce is the ticket. Pools are great–only, I don’t have one; if I did, I might like summer a bit more. Yes, invest in a pitter. Life is too complicated without one.

steph@stephsbitebybite — August 29, 2013 at 9:18 am

Ha ha!! I LOVED summer when I was little, but now, ugh not so much. Too hot, too sweaty. But cherries, I can handle!

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:41 am

Yeah, summer was so much better when I would tan. Now I just burn to a crisp.

mjskit — August 29, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I’m with you – love summer for all of the fresh produce and I too, have been eating peaches like crazy! Love the simplicity of this parfait! I see breakfast i the morning. Gorgeous pics!

• Jennie replied August 30th, 2013 at 10:40 am

Thanks, MJ! Summer fruit is the best, hands down.

Terra — August 31, 2013 at 8:06 pm

So I am totally with you, I much prefer Fall, AND especially love winter. However, I do love fresh produce in the summer. Your parfait looks fantastic, and a perfect dessert! Hugs, Terra

amy @ fearless homemaker — September 3, 2013 at 11:21 am

OOh, I love summer fruits and this parfait is a perfect way to showcase cherries. YUM!

1. Pingback: Brownie Peanut Butter Mousse Parfaits - Cupcakes & Kale Chips