How To: Freeze Bananas

Today I’m going to teach you how to freeze bananas. Why freeze bananas? Good question.

How To Freeze Bananas from www.themessybakerblog.com

Frozen bananas are a great way to preserve over ripe bananas until you’re ready to use them. Thaw. Mash. Create.

I freeze bananas exclusively for whipping up thick, creamy smoothies. Frozen bananas, or frozen fruit in general, is a key ingredient for creating the perfect, full-bodied smoothie.

What do I mean by full-bodied? Say you use fresh, room-temperature fruit (which is totally okay). In order to create a cold, frothy smoothie, the addition of ice is required. Adding ice to room-temperature ingredients will cause the ice to melt and will ultimately dilute your smoothie, causing a less flavorful smoothie.

Freezing fruit at the peak of freshness will not only preserve the fruit, but it will eliminate the need for ice. Frozen fruit equals fruit + ice. No diluting. No loss of flavor. Thick smoothie. Sounds better, right?

This method is completely effortless. Let’s get started.

How To Freeze Bananas from www.themessybakerblog.com

1. Grab a few bananas and get to peelin’.

How To Freeze Bananas from www.themessybakerblog.com

How To Freeze Bananas from www.themessybakerblog.com

2. Slice bananas into thick rounds.

How To Freeze Bananas from www.themessybakerblog.com

3. Transfer banana slices to a parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet. Arrange the bananas in a single layer making sure the slices are not touching.

How To Freeze Bananas from www.themessybakerblog.com

4. Place the baking sheet in the freezer and allow the bananas to freeze completely, about 2 hours.

How To Freeze Bananas from www.themessybakerblog.com

5. Transfer the banana slices to a freezer bag and store until ready to use.

This tutorial will come in handy for the smoothie recipes that will be coming your way later this week. If you have any questions, feel free to email me or leave me a note in the comments.

36 Responses to “How To: Freeze Bananas”

Kim@Treats & Trinkets — January 6, 2014 at 7:42 am

I totally have some bananas in my freezer right now. Bring on the smoothies!

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I have a good one coming up on Thursday. Love me some smoothies!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — January 6, 2014 at 9:18 am

I LOVE this post! I always freeze my bananas whole and never thought of simply cutting them up before hand. So simple, but genius! Thanks for the tip!

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Thank you so much, Taylor. I used to freeze my ‘nanas whole, but they were so hard to whir in the blender.

Laura Dembowski — January 6, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I love freezing bananas! They are amazing in smoothies. I usually add fresh strawberries, blueberries, or cherries too, but I’ve been adding a frozen peach or blueberries too and it’s like super healthy ice cream!

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I love mixed berry smoothies! I like adding a little spinach for an extra boost of vitamins.

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — January 6, 2014 at 1:42 pm

We always have a bag of frozen banana chunks in our freezer just waiting to be used for smoothies! Great tutorial!

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Thanks, Jess. I start to panic when I run low. I’m not a fan of using ice in my smoothies.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — January 6, 2014 at 3:44 pm

this way is much smarter than my way lol

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Lol. You crack me up, Kayle.

Kate (@KatefromScratch) — January 6, 2014 at 4:27 pm

These are the perfect addition to a morning smoothie. Great how to!

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:12 pm

They’re the best. Thanks for stopping by, Kate.

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — January 6, 2014 at 6:06 pm

We freeze bananas all the time! I love to have them on hand for smoothies and banana bread. I love your tip about cutting them into chunks…I usually leave them whole! :)

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I can never use my ripe bananas fast enough, so in the freezer they go. Thanks for stopping by, Christina.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — January 6, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I always have a bag of frozen bananas on hand for smoothies! Just made one today with mixed berries. So good!

• Jennie replied January 6th, 2014 at 9:10 pm

It’s so convenient. Just grab and whir. Thanks for stopping by, Sally!

Kate @ Coffee with Kate — January 6, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Perfect method!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — January 7, 2014 at 1:34 am

Why have I never frozen bananas this way?! Such a great idea.

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:51 am

It’s a great way to preserve those overripe bananas. Thanks for stoping by, Laura!

Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats — January 7, 2014 at 8:23 am

I freeze them whole and then thaw and use them in banana bread etc. so I always have a few ready on hand! Great tips!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:51 am

Thanks, Julie!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — January 7, 2014 at 12:03 pm

In the past I have just put the entire banana in the freezer. This method it much more helpful! Especially if I don’t need an entire banana in a recipe!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:50 am

Thanks, Laura!

Jen — January 7, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I love this idea but my freezer is too full to fit a baking sheet. I wonder how hard it would be to break apart a solid clump of frozen bananas, lol?

shannon — January 8, 2014 at 8:42 am

do i get stars because i knew this one? :) i found this out the hard way when freezing bananas for a shake once. Froze them with the peel on, whole, and when i went to take one out? EW, mushy peel that wouldn’t move. So this is exactly how i do it, or i just peel and cut them in half (i’m lazy) since that’s typically the portion size i use when i need them. happy new year, Jennie!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:50 am

Maybe a cookie or cocktail reward?

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — January 8, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Excellent tutorial, Jennie! Perfect timing, too, for smoothie season (if there is one, LOL). I love doing the same with my favorite berries, raspberries. I can never have enough of those on hand. Beautiful photography. Now, I can’t wait to start making smoothies! I, too, love adding frozen banana vs. all that ice. Thanks for sharing, my friend!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:45 am

Thank you so much, Stacy! My freezer is stocked with smoothie essentials, too.

Stephanie — January 8, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I usually just half my bananas before freezing them as that’s the normal portion I use. But cutting them up is such a great idea!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:31 am

Thanks for stopping by, Stephanie. I love slicing them into fat rounds. It makes it easier to blend.

Nancy — January 10, 2014 at 2:53 am

Thanks to you my frozen bananas won’t get freezer burnt, Doing it your way seems much better. Thanks so much! I keep frozen bananas in my freezer all my smoothies and for my favorite banana smoothie: banana-peanut butter smoothie,

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:19 am

Thanks, Nancy. I love me a good pb banana smoothie. It’s one of my favorites. Thanks for stopping by.

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — January 10, 2014 at 6:06 am

Nooooooo! I had a post ready to go for this same exact thing. Haha. You beat me to it! I guess I’ll wait around a while to post mine. Or just direct people to yours. Your pictures are way better!

• Jennie replied January 13th, 2014 at 9:18 am

You should still post your tutorial, Erin. I’m sure you have different readers than me, and they would love to see your tutorial.

William — May 16, 2014 at 4:06 am

You only mention thawed bananas for smoothies use but can one eat the de-frozen banana as if it wern’t frozen before hand.
    The real question is: Does freezing change the constitution of the nanas?

1. Pingback: The Messy Baker – Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie