Brr, it’s freezing in Baltimore. It’s the kind of cold that causes you to burrow under thick, down-filled blankets for relief. The kind of cold that commands layers of socks, shirts, and thermals. The kind of cold that requires a space heater right next to your feet while you’re watching television. I’ve been living in thermal pjs, fuzzy socks, and my furry cupcake robe. It’s not sexy, people, but sexy gets thrown out the door when it’s only 19 degrees outside.
The one thing that helps warm me up is baking, so I made these pear & cinnamon muffins with a brown sugar almond streusel for #MuffinMonday.
They’re full of chopped ripe pears, maple syrup, and greek yogurt. They’re absolutely delicious.
The pears add a moist, buttery texture to this muffin, while the cinnamon and maple add warmth.
The brown sugar almond streusel is my favorite. It adds a crunchy, nutty topping.
- 4 tbs. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup chopped pears
- ⅓ cup cinnamon chips
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- ¼ cup quick oats
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar and melted butter. Whisk in egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in greek yogurt and maple syrup until smooth.
- Fold in pears and cinnamon chips.
- Fill the muffin liners with the batter until they’re ⅔ of the way full. Top with streusel.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, oats, almonds, cinnamon, and flour. Stir in melted butter until combined.
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.