Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad ~ #SundaySupper

Greetings from cow country, ya’ll (sorry, but we’re in cow country, and in cow country we say ya’ll)! I’m in Pennsylvania for the weekend visiting my family for Memorial day. The drive up here was beautiful and smelly all at the same time- Pennsylvania air is tinged with cow manure, skunk, and road kill. Pleasant, right? It may be smelly, but it’s the smell of my childhood. We’ve been traveling up here since I was born, and the  smell reminds me of long hours in the car, I spy games with my brother, “are we there yet” whines, and my grandparents. The smell meant that we were getting closer to seeing two of the very most special people I know, my mom-mom and pop-pop. Today, I get to spend my first #SundaySupper with them.

I decided to make grilled chicken caesar salad for supper since my grandmother is diabetic. It’s low carb and delicious. I marinated the chicken in a lemon, olive oil, and dill mixture. It imparts mucho flavor into the chicken and helps the chicken stay super moist and juicy.   It gets grilled to perfection, topped on fresh salad greens, and drizzled with homemade caesar dressing. I promise, this salad does not disappoint.

I let my mom choose the cocktail for #SundaySupper, and when I asked her what she wanted me to make, she got all giddy and excited and breathlessly replied “cocojitos.” Here’s a look at what my day was like:

I juiced over a dozen limes for a measly cup of lime juice. The limes weren’t giving up their juice as easily as I would have liked, and I ended up with a gimp hand. It’s okay, though. God gave us two hands, so I held my cocojito with my other, non-gimpy hand.

I know what you’re thinking, “Jennie, why are you showing us a picture of raw chicken?” Well, because this is my favorite part of the chicken making process. It’s the part where you get to beat the chicken into submission. I like my chicken to be consistent in size, so I beat it.

Place the chicken in-between two pieces of plastic wrap and beat it with a meat tenderizer or improvise, like I did, and use a sauté pan. It’s a great method if you need to take out some unruly anger. Bad day at work? Beat the chicken. Troublesome mother-in-law? Beat the chicken. Kiddies plucking your nerves? Beat the chicken. You get it. Plus, it’s just plain old fun.

Add the chicken to a bowl and pour in the marinade. Chill for at least 2 hours before cooking, longer if you have the time.

Have a wonderful #SundaySupper gathered with family and friends around the table.

Happy eating,

Jennie

Make sure you stop by the other sites and check out what everyone is cookin’ up for Memorial day:

Perfect Cocktails:

Salads:

From the Grill:

Classics:

Desserts:

Our recipes will be perfectly paired by Wine Everyday

Recipe: Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad

4 chicken breasts

2 lemons, juiced

1/3 cup olive oil

3 tsp. lemon and pepper seasoning

1 tsp. dried dill (3 tbs. fresh dill, chopped)

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp. worcestershire sauce

salt and pepper

In a medium-sized bowl, add the lemon juice, olive oil, lemon and pepper seasoning, dill, garlic, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Pound out the chicken to 1/2-inch thick. Place the chicken in a bowl and pour in the marinade. Chill for at least 2 hours (I chilled my chicken for 5 hours before cooking and the flavor was amazing).

Heat the grill or a grill pan. Add the chicken to the hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until the chicken is fully cooked. When the chicken is finished cooking, let set for 5 minutes before slicing.

Caesar dressing:

2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

4 anchovy filets

3 tbs. mayonnaise

1 tbs. dijon mustard

1 tsp. worcestershire sauce

4 tbs. fresh lemon juice

salt and pepper

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

In a bowl of a food processor, add the garlic and anchovy filets, pulse to combine. Add the mayo, dijon, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, pulse to combine. Through the small hole at the top of the food processor, add the olive oil in a steady stream while pulsing. Add the parmesan cheese, and pulse to combine. Add more salt and pepper to taste.

Salad:

3 romaine hearts, chopped

Grated parmesan cheese

Croutons

Add the sliced lettuce to a bowl and top with croutons, grilled chicken, and parmesan cheese. Drizzle with homemade caesar dressing.

38 Responses to “Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad ~ #SundaySupper”

Renee Dobbs — May 27, 2012 at 7:32 am

I have been looking for a homemade Caesar dressing. Thanks so much for sharing this today!

Soni — May 27, 2012 at 7:33 am

Gorgeous salad and so light and healthy!I love the simplicity and the different textures in your salad :)

Young Grasshopper — May 27, 2012 at 10:20 am

Love that you included anchovies, looks yum <3

juanitascocina — May 27, 2012 at 10:57 am

I have never made homemade caesar dressing. I cannot wait to try this out! Beautiful, Jennie!!!

Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet) — May 27, 2012 at 11:11 am

Lovely salad…love Caesar, but have never made the dressing. I prefer the flavor of homemade dressings to store-bought when possible, so can’t wait to try this. Glad to be in #SundaySupper with you…it’s my first week too!!

Nicole Humphrey Cook (@NicoleHCook) — May 27, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I love grilled chicken salads and your Caesar dressing sounds really good. I’ve not made one from scratch yet, but I’m definitely going to now. Great share for #SundaySupper!

Sasha — May 27, 2012 at 1:49 pm

This looks so tasty! I have never tried a home-made caesar dressing before. But where is the recipe for cocojitos???

• themessybakerblog replied May 27th, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Thanks, Saha. The cocojitos are under the cocktail recipe section. I should have linked it. I’m on it.

Choc Chip Uru — May 27, 2012 at 4:18 pm

This salad looks so refreshing :D
    Love the photography!

bigbearswife — May 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm

one of my favorites!!

Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) — May 27, 2012 at 11:32 pm

There’s nothing better than a well made caesar salad! Yours looks fantastic, Jennie! Hope you have a fantastic time in cow country :)

• themessybakerblog replied May 28th, 2012 at 10:36 am

Thanks, An. I agree. Caesar salad is a classic and delicious when it’s made right.

Carla — May 27, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Haha you sure got the smell of PA right! There are days where you walk out of work and all you can smell is manure. Roadkill is a very popular site too. Delicious salad! I love Caesar dressing but never tried it homemade before. Enjoy your weekend in my home state :)

Family Foodie (@familyfoodie) — May 28, 2012 at 9:59 am

This is one of my favorite salads and I can’t wait to try your version of it! I love how easy your recipes are to follow! I am so glad you are a contributor to our #SundaySupper. I look forward to sharing many more of your recipes with our followers!

• themessybakerblog replied May 28th, 2012 at 10:35 am

Thanks so much, Isabel. I’m honored to take part in the wonderful #SundaySupper group. It’s an amazing group with an awesome message and great people.

Food Stories — May 28, 2012 at 11:27 am

Being a diabetic myself, I love that you thought of your grandmother for this meal. Caesar Salad is like a backup meal for me. If I’m in a restaurant and can’t find anything to eat, usually everyone has one of these low-carb wonders. It’s perfect … By the way, great new judges badge … Looks good on you :-)

• themessybakerblog replied May 28th, 2012 at 11:35 am

Thanks, C.J. My grandmother loved it. It was her first experience with caesar salad. I love the badge!

Karen Hartzell (@InTheKitchenKP) — May 28, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I love chicken ceasar salad! I am definitely going to give your dressing recipe a try! It’s a regular dinner selection in our summer routine. Happy #SundaySupper!

Baking Serendipity — May 28, 2012 at 10:52 pm

There’s not much better than a chicken salad in the summer!

Lovely Pantry — May 29, 2012 at 12:14 am

A fresh and tasty caesar salad! Looks lovely, perfect for this weekend! Hope you had a good one, Jennie!

kale — May 29, 2012 at 1:42 am

You’re like my soul mate. There’s nothing like beating chicken into submission. ;)

spiceblogger — May 29, 2012 at 10:22 am

Yum! Glad you had a good weekend :)

And I must know more: Cocojitos?!!!!

• themessybakerblog replied May 29th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Thanks! The cocojito recipe is located under the cocktail section on the recipe page. They’re so good.

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — May 29, 2012 at 2:59 pm

i’ve been wanting to do a homemade chicken caesar salad sometime! i’m totally making this soon – looks so good!!

• themessybakerblog replied May 29th, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Thanks, Jenn. I remember you asking about caesar dressing months ago. Sorry it took so long for me to post. Enjoy!

hotlyspiced — May 29, 2012 at 5:13 pm

That’s a lovely looking caesar salad. Your croutons look delicious.

MISSY — May 29, 2012 at 6:37 pm

What a fun post! Lovely salad, and great breakdown with the photos! The more photos the happier I am :-)

Stephanie — May 29, 2012 at 9:46 pm

This salad looks delish! Love caesar salads, especially in the summer!

Anita at Hungry Couple — June 1, 2012 at 1:41 am

This looks great. I love grilled chicken Caesar!

Words Of Deliciousness — June 1, 2012 at 2:34 am

Yummy looking salad, I love the homemade Caesar Dressy.

CJ at Food Stories — June 1, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I know I’ve already posted on this page but I just wanted to tell you how much I like the new blog … It’s beautiful :-)

Amrita aka Beetlebuggy — June 1, 2012 at 5:14 pm

You’ve got a new look…YAY! Very pretty! So glad you got to spend your Sunday Supper last week with your grandparents…I miss mine and all the memories of childhood that get rustled up during the visit. Grilled chicken caesar salad is one of my favorites and that used to be the only salad I would eat for a long time LOL

• Amrita aka Beetlebuggy replied June 1st, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Pssst…and if this new look has been around for a while, you know how bad I’ve been at visiting you! I’ll be by more often, I promise! :D

Katy — June 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm

You had me at y’all! I have hopelessly romantic notions of summers in the southern states and this caesar salad looks absolutely perfect – I love the way you beat the chicken into submission :)

• Jennie replied June 6th, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Thanks, Katy. Beating meat is my favorite part of the meal making process.

1. Pingback: Lite Mango Coconut Ice Cream with Berry Ginger Topping #SundaySupper

2. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Rice Crispy Treats for #SundaySupper #MemorialDay | Chocolate Moosey