Chicken and Beef Teriyaki Skewers ~ #SundaySupper

Katie Workman, the author of The Mom 100 Cookbook, is participating in this weeks #SundaySupper. All of her recipes are simple, accessible, and delicious. I made her chicken and beef teriyaki skewers. The marinade was extremely easy to put together, and it was so good that I could have stuck a straw in it and drank it straight up.

Katie’s believes that homemade food is better for you, and I completely agree with Katie’s concept. When I cook the meal, I know exactly what goes into my dish. I have complete control. The end result is a homemade meal that my family will enjoy. And, they may not know it, but it’s healthy for them, too. Shh, that’s our little secret.

These skewers make the perfect weeknight meal. You can prepare the marinade the evening before and let the chicken and beef get happy in the marinade overnight. All you have to do the next evening is skewer and grill the meat. They literally take 6 minutes to cook. That’s my kind of weeknight meal.

These will even make great appetizers for a party. As Katie says, they’re “no-fuss.” Enjoy your #SundaySupper with your family!

Make sure you check out what my fellow foodie friends have made for #SundaySupper this week:

• Wine Pairing  to complement our recipes ~ ENOFYLZ

Teriyaki Skewers

2 tbs. ginger, peeled and chopped
1 tbs. garlic, chopped
2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tbs. water
2 teaspoons canola oil
3 tbs. mirin
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. cornstarch
Wooden skewers
Toasted sesame seeds, optional

Place the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, oil, miring, brown sugar, and cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk to combine.

Pour the teriyaki marinade into a heavy-duty zipper-top plastic bag or a larger plastic container with a lid. Add the chicken or steak and mix to coat well. Seal the bag or container and let the chicken and steak marinate in the refrigerator overnight.

If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before cooking to prevent burning.

Preheat your grill.

Remove the chicken or steak from the marinade, setting aside the marinade. Skewer 1 or 2 pieces of chicken or steak on each skewer lengthwise, threading them so they are on securely. Place the skewers on the grill and cook for 2-4 minutes on each side until the chicken is cooked through. If you like your steak medium, cook for 2 minutes on each side.

Pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and let the marinade simmer until it becomes slightly reduced and glazelike, about 4-5 minutes.
Serve the skewers on a platter sprinkled with the sesame seeds, if desired. Use the boiled marinade for dipping or drizzling on your meat.

25 Responses to “Chicken and Beef Teriyaki Skewers ~ #SundaySupper”

Baker Street — June 24, 2012 at 7:33 am

Oh this would have made a fabulous meal. Easy peasy and no fuss recipe! :)

Renee — June 24, 2012 at 8:06 am

Great recipe! Perfect for summer grilling.

Family Foodie — June 24, 2012 at 8:43 am

This is the perfect summer recipe! I can’t wait to try it, may even add some seafood and see how it turns out! Thanks for sharing during #SundaySupper

Lane @ Supper for a Steal — June 24, 2012 at 8:53 am

Mmm can’t wait to make these this summer.

Jen @ Juanita's Cocina — June 24, 2012 at 9:42 am

Mmmmmm, my wife would love these. By the way, as a Texan, she can’t say the word, “Skewer”. Most people think that it’s two syllables, right? Nope. Not for her. She says “Skyer”…one syllable. And I crack up every time.

So, I just turned to her and said, “Heeey, look! Should I make these?”

And she’s all, “Ohhhh! I love skyers!”

And then I cracked up again. Every. single. time.

Soni — June 24, 2012 at 10:10 am

I love teriyaki and cannot wait to try!!Perfect for this season and so easy!
    Bookmarked :)

Patti — June 24, 2012 at 10:27 am

Not a big beef eater, but I’ll bet that chicken is awesome!

kale — June 24, 2012 at 11:54 am

I love skewed meat!! Perfect go-to meal.

Conni @MrsMamaHen — June 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Mmmm- the faster something cooks, the better it is for summertime food! Thank you for sharing this one for #SundaySupper!

Choc Chip Uru — June 24, 2012 at 4:03 pm

My brother is a die hard skewer fan so this is perfect for him :D
    Thank you!

Liz — June 24, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Another excellent recipe from this cookbook! This would win over all of my family…I think this will be our dinner tomorrow night!

CJ at Food Stories — June 24, 2012 at 11:45 pm

A six minute meal sounds like an amazing meal :-)

Hezzi-D — June 25, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I love any meat on the grill and am always looking for new ways to prepare it. This looks great!

Nicole @ The Daily Dish — June 26, 2012 at 10:08 am

Your meal looks so good! I love Teriyaki and love that you did both beef and chicken. This would definitely be something we’d make at home. Yum!

Carla — June 26, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Im a little late to the party, but I hope you left a skewer for me! I love the fact that you can prep the night before so I can easily cook them when I get home from work.

Donna @ Cookistry — June 28, 2012 at 1:53 am

Looks like the perfect fast meal!

Agnez — August 8, 2012 at 12:30 am

I just tried and it was a blast ! Thanks for your sundaysupper tips @ Jennie

Perhaps you don’t mind if I share your post in our food network, i believe this info will be valuable. http://www.mycookbook.com

Surely I’ll include the original source and give you credit :)

1. Pingback: Garlic, Lemon and Rosemary Roasted Chicken for #SundaySupper

2. Pingback: The Mom 100 Cookbook

3. Pingback: #SundaySupper Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares | Mama's Blissful Bites

4. Pingback: One Pot Arroz Con Pollo ~ #SundaySupper with “The Mom 100 Cookbook” {And a #Giveaway!} | Juanita's Cocina

5. Pingback: Cheddar and Cauliflower Soup #SundaySupper | The Daily Dish Recipes

6. Pingback: 100+ Summer Recipe Round Up | Chocolate Moosey

7. Pingback: Bacon and Dried Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies for #SundaySupper | Chocolate Moosey

8. Pingback: Aaron E's Favorite Apple Coffee Cake