Cheddar Herb Cranberry Muffins
Welcome to another #MuffinMonday!
This week we were challenged to make a savory muffin using cheese. Now, I don’t know about you, but I love me some cheese. Whether it be cheddar, pepper jack, smoked gouda, or swiss, I love it all! Last week, I didn’t feel like making dinner, so I cut up some cheese and apples and made a meal out of it.
I’m a huge fan of combining a pop of sweetness with my cheese, so I decided to make a white cheddar buttermilk muffin with herbs and cranberries. The sweetness of the cranberries pairs perfectly with the sharp white cheddar.
The best part about these muffins is the crispy crust that cheese creates on top of the muffin. Mmm!
The thyme and rosemary add an earthy depth of flavor that contrasts nicely with the sweetness of the dried cranberries.
Looking for a Thanksgiving bread recipe to go with your meal? These muffins would be perfect.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbs. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried crushed rosemary
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1¼ cups sharp white cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs. butter, melted
- Extra cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line or grease a muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the dry ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, and egg.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Fill the muffin tins ¾ of the way full with batter. Top with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before removing from the tin.