Nutella Swirl Donut Muffins

I’ve been MIA for the past week, and I’m so very sorry. My grandfather had surgery last Tuesday, so I travelled on up to Cow Country to take care of him. I waited on him hand and foot, because I’m his favorite granddaughter (I’m his only granddaughter), and that’s what favorite granddaughters’ do to make their grandfathers feel better.

I made a ton of food while I was in Cow Country. I made this tomato and bacon pie by The Country Cook. It was Amazing! My grandmother adored this pie, so much that she couldn’t stop talking about it. She even ate it for breakfast one morning. I also perfected pizza dough over the weekend. Don’t worry, I’ll share the love later on this week. Last, but certainly not least, I made Nutella Donut Muffins for my very first #MuffinMonday.

These donut muffins put a smile on my grandfather’s face. He loved them! He loved them so much that he ate three of them in one sitting. Trooper, right? His exact words as he reached for his third muffin were, “Well, it’s not like I get these often, so I’m eating another one.” Go ahead, Pop-pop! I was secretly cheering him on from the sidelines.

I don’t know about you, but Monday is not my favorite day of the week. Monday means it’s the end of the weekend. No more Sunday fun day. No more sleeping in. No more baking all weekend. No more footloose and fancy free. No more late night cocktail hours. It’s back to all work and no play.

Oh, Monday. How I dread your arrival.

Muffins make Monday’s a bit more tolerable, which is why An from Bakerstreet created #MuffinMonday.

Thanks to An, Monday’s aren’t so bad now.

These Nutella donut muffins will brighten any Monday. Guaranteed!

It’s a donut. It’s a muffin. It’s a donut muffin, and it’s one of the best muffins I have ever eaten. The texture is moist and cake-like, and a dollop of Nutella gets plopped in the middle, creating a fudgy center. You’ll forget all about Monday and the upcoming work week when you sink your teeth into one of these delicious muffins.

Happy #MuffinMonday!

Nutella Swirl Donut Muffins

3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups + 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
2 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. orange zest
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
About 1/3 cup Nutella

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a muffin tin with cooking spray, or line with cupcake papers.

In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg until combined. Add in flour, baking powder, salt, orange zest, and cinnamon. Mix until combined.

Add in the vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla extract. Stir until just combined.

Fill each mini muffin cup about 2/3 full with batter. Add a dollop of nutella to each muffin and swirl with a knife.

Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool muffins on a wire rack before serving.

Adapted slightly from Bakerstreet

Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.

30 Responses to “Nutella Swirl Donut Muffins”

Baker Street — August 6, 2012 at 7:07 am

Woohoo!! So happy to have you bake with us, Jennie! Nutella makes everything better! Hope you have a fantastic (Muffin) Monday! :)

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — August 6, 2012 at 8:35 am

Loooove these. And your pop pop sounds adorable :)

Stacy — August 6, 2012 at 8:35 am

Yours look delicious, Jennie! Thanks for joining the #MuffinMonday group of happy bakers.

Stacy

Stacy — August 6, 2012 at 8:39 am

Yours look delicious, Jennie! Glad you joined our happy group of #MuffinMonday bakers.

Stacy

@bluenotebacker — August 6, 2012 at 8:54 am

Defintely saving this one for my daughter & I to make together. Thanks for sharing!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — August 6, 2012 at 9:49 am

I bet your grandpa loved having you around! :) These muffins would totally brighten any Monday!

Jen @JuanitasCocina — August 6, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’m thinking these would make ANY day better. ;)

CJ at Food Stories — August 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Love your Donut Muffins & hope your granddad is doing better :-)

Jenn and Seth — August 6, 2012 at 2:26 pm

oh god, i’m pretty sure i have everything to make these. i know what i’m baking later!

CCU — August 6, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Seems like you perfected a whole lot of cooking my friend, these muffins look incredible :D
    Love love love them!

Amanda — August 6, 2012 at 5:47 pm

You had me at Nutella!

Anita at Hungry Couple — August 6, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Ooh. I’m thinking I’m going to need some of these muffins! :)

Kate | Food Babbles — August 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Ooo!! Your muffins look absolutely perfect! How did you get such nice swirls? These look fabulous.

Renee — August 6, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Oh yum! I can see how these would my your grandpa or anyone very happy.

Kocinera — August 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Nutella donut muffins, you say?! That sounds amazing! :D

Colleen, The Smart Cookie Cook — August 6, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I’ve never had a donut muffin, but it sounds like a dream come true. Two delicious treats in one! ..Plus Nutella. I think I’m in heaven.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 6, 2012 at 11:44 pm

I hope your grandfather is doing well! And I love how your muffins turned out! The swirling is absolute perfection!

Nerissa — August 7, 2012 at 2:14 am

You had me at Nutella… lovey :)

Baking Serendipity — August 7, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I hope your grandfather is doing well, and can definitely see these as a day brightener. I love Nutella!

Rosie — August 8, 2012 at 8:52 am

I came across these whilst lurking on food gawker and they look delicious! I could eat Nutella by the spoonful so I think I will have to try these!

Kim @ Treats & Trinkets — August 8, 2012 at 9:57 am

I’m with you. Mondays should at least wait to start until 10.

I’m also with your grandfather. Three of these muffins should be a standard serving. Hope he’s feeling a whole lot better.

Soni — August 8, 2012 at 5:45 pm

My kids love muffins and I would love to try these for sure :)Love the nutella in there!!Hope your Grandad is feeling fine now :)

Kristina — August 10, 2012 at 10:13 am

Aw you are so sweet making these for your grandpa! He has to be feeling like a million bucks now :) And of course I’m obsessed with these! Anything with Nutella in it and I’m sold, yumm!!

ATasteOfMadness — August 10, 2012 at 11:11 am

Oh my goodness, I think that I would triple this recipe so it can brighten all my days, this looks fantastic!!

Anna @ hiddenponies — August 10, 2012 at 11:15 am

These muffins look amazing! Good for you for taking care of your grandpa, I’m sure the cooking spoiled him :)

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking — August 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Loving the Nutella swirl!
    I hope your grandfather is doing much better by now

Meghan — August 10, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Hope your grandfather is doing well. I’m sure he loved having you around, especially since you were making treat like this! The muffins look delightful & sure to make any day a whole lot better :)

Monet — August 11, 2012 at 12:22 am

I can see why these put a smile on his face. They certainly did mine. Thank you for sharing such a delicious (and unique) recipe. Your family is in my thoughts!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — August 11, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Donuts? Muffins? Nutella? These are like everything that is delicious in the world rolled up into one recipe. I love it! So sweet of you to visit your grandparents–I hope your grandfather is doing better now!

Sherry — September 14, 2012 at 11:10 am

LOVE nutella and love the flavor of this recipe. I always try not to use vegetable oil when baking and sub with applesauce. Do you think using applesauce would have changed the texture of these? I’ve made them twice and both times we’ve had a hard time getting them unstuck from the muffin liners. Any thoughts?