Blueberry Carrot Muffins

It feels good to be back! Sorry I’ve been gone for so long, but my grandfather was rushed to the hospital last week, and the family rushed up to Pennsylvania to help out. He came home from the hospital Friday evening and is doing well. Thank you all for being so patient.

It may be Monday, but that doesn’t matter, because this gorgeous fall weather has me in a good mood. It doesn’t hurt that it’s #MuffinMonday and I happen to be munchin’ on a delicious blueberry carrot muffin.

Fall is my very favorite season, and I impatiently wait for its arrival every year. The crisp fall air, pumpkins, fresh apples, fall baking, and Starbuck’s pumpkin spice lattes are some of my favorite fall attributes. And, let’s not forget Thanksgiving. It’s only the best holiday of the year- eat all you want without feeling bad. What’s not to love?

Not only are these muffins delicious, they’re healthy, too. They’re full of heart healthy ingredients and sweetened with all-natural maple syrup. You can have your muffin and eat it, too. No feeling bad about this healthy breakfast snack.

The blueberries and carrots create an extremely moist muffin that’s so light they’ll melt in your mouth. I topped them with a sprinkling of coconut to give the crust a sweet, toasty crunch.

Enjoy!

Blueberry Carrot Muffins

Dry:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup almond flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 tsp. salt

Wet:
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tsp. lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
1 tbs. lemon juice
1 egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup blueberry or plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Instructions:

Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with 7 liners.

Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.

Stir together the wet ingredients, except for the carrots and blueberries, in a small bowl and add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.

Fold in the carrots and blueberries. Divide among 7 muffin liners and bake for 15 minutes.

Turn immediately onto a wire rack to cool.

42 Responses to “Blueberry Carrot Muffins”

Baker Street — September 17, 2012 at 2:10 am

Good to know he’s doing better! I loved these muffins too! So easy to make and so so delicious! I actually didn’t mind eating the 2nd one because for a change it was healthy breakfast. ;)

• Jennie replied September 17th, 2012 at 9:26 pm

You gotta love healthy, because healthy means you get to eat more. And more is always good. Thanks, An!

CCU — September 17, 2012 at 6:23 am

My friend I hope your grandfather is much better now. Your MIA is fine, do not worry one bit!
    On a nicer note, I am in love with your muffins – carrot and blueberry are genius :)

• Jennie replied September 17th, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Thanks, Uru. You are such a sweetie. Me a genius? Weee!

Jen @JuanitasCocina — September 17, 2012 at 7:06 am

So glad your grandpa is better! <3

Also, so glad you made these so I can eat a million of them now. :D

• Jennie replied September 17th, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Heck yes. Eat a million…because they’re healthy.

Meena — September 17, 2012 at 10:26 am

Blueberry and Carrots – Yummy combination

Stacy — September 17, 2012 at 11:03 am

Family emergencies are so scary! I am so glad your grandfather is feeling well enough to come home. Your muffins look wonderful with the toasted coconut on top!

• Jennie replied September 17th, 2012 at 9:24 pm

They really are, Stacy. Thank you so much for the kind words. Coconut is my new found addiction.

Susan — September 17, 2012 at 11:17 am

Happy to hear your grandfather is doing better! I would have never thought to pair blueberry and carrots together but it sounds delicious!

• Jennie replied September 17th, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Thanks, Susan. I would have never thought to put the two together, either, but the store was out of zucchini, so I grabbed the next best thing. They turned out really tasty.

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — September 17, 2012 at 11:19 am

I like the sous of this combo! Looks great! So happy your grandfather is back and all is ok!

• Jennie replied September 17th, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Thanks, Stefanie! They were tasty.

Sunithi — September 17, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Delish! Love the way you have dry & wet ingredients. Makes it easy :) Will me making these soon !

• Jennie replied September 17th, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Thanks Suni. I appreciate the ingredient feedback. The easier the better.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — September 17, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Aw! I’m glad your grandpa is ok!! These muffins look tasty and I love that they’re pretty healthy too!

• Jennie replied September 17th, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Thanks, Kayle. Yeah, no feeling guilty after one of these muffins. High five for health muffins!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — September 17, 2012 at 6:06 pm

So glad to hear that your grandpa is okay!

These muffins look so hearty and delish!

• Jennie replied September 17th, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Thanks, Steph! You’re a sweetie.

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — September 17, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Glad to hear that your grandpa is doing okay!
    I like the sound of blueberry and carrot. I’ve never tried it before, but these sound great, especially with that sprinkling of toasted coconut on top!

• Jennie replied September 17th, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Thanks, Jessica. They were really good, and I didn’t feel bad about eating them because they’re healthy.

Anita at Hungry Couple — September 17, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Very happy to hear that your grandfather is doing better. I’ve never been a big fan of carrot cakes or muffins but the addition of the blueberries might change my mind. :)

• Jennie replied September 17th, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Thanks, Anita. You can’t really taste the carrot in these muffins; they just lend a moisture boost to the muffin.

Kate | Food Babbles — September 17, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I’m glad to hear your grandfather is home and doing well. Yikes! No apologies for absences… Family first! And these muffins sound crazy good! Love the pairing of carrots and blueberry then the sprinkle of coconut puts it over the top for me. Yum!

• Jennie replied September 17th, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Thanks, Kate. I always apologize when I’m absent. I know I shouldn’t feel bad, but I always do. Kind of like I’m letting people down. I dunno. I’m weird.

what katie's baking — September 17, 2012 at 9:55 pm

i’m glad your grandpa is ok!
    also, i love the unique combination of blueberry and carrot– yummo!

Kim Bee — September 17, 2012 at 11:43 pm

These are gorgeous. I love the cups you used. This is definitely something I could eat for breakfast. And coming from a non breakfast eater that’s a huge compliment.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 18, 2012 at 12:54 am

Awesome adaptations on this week’s #MuffinMonday! I would have never though to combine blueberries and carrots!

Jenn and Seth — September 18, 2012 at 10:44 am

these look great, and i love the muffin cups! the blueberries and carrots were such a clever combination, and the toasted coconut topping was simply inspired! love this!

Laura Dembowski — September 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, but good to hear he’s doing better. I love muffins, including carrot and blueberry, but I’ve never thought to combine the two. What a great idea! I’m also up for anything that uses maple syrup :)

Carrie @ poet in the pantry — September 18, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Glad to hear your grandfather is home and doing better! What an interesting melding of flavors. I don’t think I’ve ever seen carrot, blueberry, and coconut together before, but it sounds delicious!

Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen — September 19, 2012 at 1:01 am

Wow these look so healthy and delicious!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — September 20, 2012 at 11:57 am

So glad to hear your grandfather is doing well. Your muffins look so tempting! The wrappers are absolutely adorable. Have a great day, Jennie!

• Jennie replied September 21st, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thanks, Anna! I just love polka dots.

Erika — September 20, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Those muffin cups are SUPER adorable!! I love your photos. And blog :)

• Jennie replied September 21st, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Thank you so much, Erika!

Anna @ hiddenponies — September 21, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Glad your grandfather is doing ok! These muffins look amazing, I’ve never had a blueberry carrot muffin and now you have me thinking it’s long overdue :)

Colleen Diamond — February 20, 2013 at 4:13 pm

So happy I found this recipe! These are fantastic! I sub honey for the maple syrup and applesauce for the canola oil and they taste simply delicious. Thanks for posting your wonderful recipe.

• Jennie replied February 20th, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Hi, Colleen. Thanks for visiting. I’m so glad you enjoyed the muffins. Your substitutions sound wonderful. I’ll have to give it a try.

Shayna — June 28, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I know this post is older, but these are my absolute favorite muffins ever!!! I have made these soooo many times since finding your blog and I tell everyone about them! I usually put honey instead of maple syrup because I have it on hand, but just so you know, these are on my last meal wish list!

• Jennie replied June 28th, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Shayna, you just made this baker’s day. Thank you so much for the lovely comments. I’m so glad you found my site and make my recipes. It’s an honor!

1. Pingback: 100+ Greek Yogurt Recipes - How To Use Greek Yogurt - Jeanette's Healthy Living