Healthy Pina Colada Muffins
Happy Monday, all!
It’s time for another round of #MuffinMonday. An challenged us to make a muffin using coconut this week. Up until a few years ago, I really didn’t like coconut. I think it was a texture thing. I loved the flavor, but the flakes rubbed me the wrong way. I don’t know what changed, but now I can’t get enough of the tropical fruit.
Believe it or not, these muffins are healthy. They’re full of greek yogurt, coconut oil, whole wheat flour, crushed pineapple, and dried pineapple.
Go ahead, have two!
The coconut milk, greek yogurt, and coconut oil create a moist, tender muffin. One bite, and you’re transported to the tropics.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup greek yogurt (plain, vanilla, pineapple)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbs. agave
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ⅓ cup crushed pineapple
- 1tsp. coconut extract
- ½ cup dried pineapple, chopped
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with papers.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together greek yogurt and sugar until smooth. Whisk in coconut oil, coconut milk, agave, and crushed pineapple until incorporated. Whisk in egg, egg white, and coconut extract.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in dried pineapple.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them all the way. Top with ½ tablespoon of coconut flakes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.