Chipotle Turkey Burgers

Let me just start by saying that I have a new love in my life. I found a new grocery store today, and I think I’m smitten. This store is amazing. It’s called The Fresh Market, and the name says it all. As soon as I walked into the store, I knew we were meant to be. This store has everything. Fresh, crisp produce, succulent meats, gourmet cheese, rich coffee beans by the barrel full, and my new favorite granola. I picked up two bags of Erin Baker’s granola, one of them being their peanut butter granola. I opened the peanut butter granola today and have been munching on it ever since. It’s good stuff! I highly recommend it. Plus, it’s healthy, so I don’t have to feel bad about eating it.

Oh, I almost forgot, I made turkey burgers topped with this guacamole. Yum!  They’re good stuff, too. I love turkey burgers. I know they don’t get a lot of recognition, but they should. I know, I know, beef is better. I agree. I love beef burgers, and I won’t be giving them up any time soon, but turkey burgers need love too. I think you’re going to love this particular turkey burger recipe. They’re packed with tons of flavor and topped with homemade guacamole.

I think the misconception with turkey burgers is that they’re dry. Whoa! Let’s stop right there. Turkey burgers are not dry. They’re moist and juicy, just like a beef burger. I had juice running down my hands and onto my wrist as I was eating this giant last night.

Jalapeños, red pepper, red onion, and garlic get sautéed together and added to the ground turkey meat. Talk about flavor, but that’s not all. I proceeded to add chipotle in adobo, cayenne, cumin, coriander, chili powder, cayenne pepper, worcestershire sauce, and a few splashes of tobasco. Now, that’s a train to flavor town. To top it all off, I added a handful of grated cheese to the ground meat mixture. Yup, right on in it went. The cheese assists with the juiciness of the burger. Are you willing to try a turkey burger yet?

Add some sliced tomato, lettuce, and a generous helping of guacamole, and you’ve got yourself a killer turkey burger. Who knows, you may never go back to the beef burger again. I went to far, didn’t I?

Happy eating,

1/2 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. worcestershire sauce

4-5 splashes tabasco

1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar or pepper jack

salt and pepper

1 recipe guacamole

In a medium-sized saute pan, heat 2 tbs. olive oil. Add jalapeño, red pepper, onion, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 4 minutes, just until the veggies soften slightly. They will cook the rest of the way in the burger. Take off heat and set aside for a few minutes.

In a large bowl, add the ground turkey, chipotle in adobo, cayenne, coriander, cumin, chili powder, worcestershire sauce, tabasco, salt and pepper. Add the veggies and cheese. Mix until combined and patty. I usually get about 6 burgers.

Fire up the grill or heat a cast iron pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. If your feeling fancy, toast the burger rolls. Top burgers with tomato, lettuce, and a generous amount of guacamole. Enjoy!

31 Responses to “Chipotle Turkey Burgers”

Cheryl — April 12, 2012 at 11:10 am

I will be over for dinner. My mouth is watering!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — April 12, 2012 at 11:32 am

These look so fantastically yummy! Definitely worth a try in my kitchen sometime soon. I do love a burger this time of year, but I also want to look good in a bikini so this is a great way to indulge without really indulging! Thanks for sharing. :)

• themessybakerblog replied April 12th, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Thank you. I try not to eat too much red meat and, actually, I prefer white meat. I totally understand about the bikini. That is my goal, too.

lovefoodcookfood — April 12, 2012 at 11:33 am

Can I come to dinner too? :-)

Kim (@TreatsTrinkets) — April 12, 2012 at 11:38 am

I don’t actually eat beef, so I believe turkey burgers are better. ^_^ It is hard to find a good one, I’ll admit, but it’s worth the effort. So these are right up my alley.

griffinsgrub — April 12, 2012 at 11:57 am

I’ve been wanting to try a turkey burger for awhile, just didn’t have a good recipe. I tried making salmon burgers awhile back, and while good, thought they were missing somethin’. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

• themessybakerblog replied April 12th, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Wait no longer, my friend. I’ve never made a salmon burger, but I’ve always wanted to. I’ll let you know if I find a good recipe.

April — April 12, 2012 at 1:01 pm

This looks delicious! I just made Greek Turkey Burgers the other night, but Chipotle sounds amazing!!! Def need to try it out soon.

• themessybakerblog replied April 12th, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thanks, April. I love greek turkey burgers. I have a recipe for a gyro burger that gets topped with tzatziki.

THE BAKING APPRENTICE — April 12, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Yum!!!
    I’m glad to know there are messy bakers out there just like me! =)
    <3 The Baking Apprentice

juanitascocina — April 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Oy. The flavors in this must be INSANE!!!

I love turkey burgers. The wife, on the other hand, refuses to try them.

I shall trick her with these. I just won’t tell her what they are. And when she loves them, I’ll be all, “You can thank Jennie. You’re welcome!”

• themessybakerblog replied April 12th, 2012 at 7:56 pm

You’re funny. My best friend refuses to eat turkey burgers, as well. I keep telling her I’m gonna trick her one day. Let me know how that goes.

kaylakakes — April 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I have a fresh market near my house that I love. I started shopping there a few months ago and now it’s one of my favorite places to shop. Even my husband likes going there, and he hates to shop.

• themessybakerblog replied April 13th, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I really enjoyed it. They’re name doesn’t lie- everything really is fresh. I hate going into some grocery stores and their produce looks dead. For me, that’s the worst. If I take my husband grocery shopping, we spend way more money.

Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) — April 13, 2012 at 5:47 am

Now this is my kind of meal. Absolutely fantastic. You have me craving burgers!!

Kristina — April 13, 2012 at 10:05 am

We JUST got a Fresh Market near my house too! I usually have to drive 45 minute to our nearest whole foods to get fun specialty products so I was sooo excited when it came to my city! I literally just had a turkey burger last night for dinner, wish I would’ve seen your recipe before I made them! Your recipe looks awesome!! Yum!

• themessybakerblog replied April 13th, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Thanks, Kristina. I’m so excited for you. You’re going to have fun in that store.

Ashley — April 13, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Just wanted to note the the brand of granola is Erin Bakers nor Sarah. =)

• themessybakerblog replied April 13th, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Oh my gosh, thanks. I don’t know where my mind was when I was typing that.

Choc Chip Uru — April 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm

These burgers are going sky high – totally awesome :D

• themessybakerblog replied April 14th, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Thank you. I love it when you get a burger that can barely fit your mouth.

kaleighaubry — April 14, 2012 at 2:33 am

This burger sounds amazing! I can just feel the juiciness running down my own arm!

• themessybakerblog replied April 14th, 2012 at 7:25 pm

That’s when you know it’s a good burger. Mmmm, juicy!

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — April 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm

omg that turkey burger sounds perfect!

• themessybakerblog replied April 14th, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Thanks, Jenn! It’s my hubby’s favorite turkey burger.

Laura — April 19, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Oh my gosh, these are delicious Jennie! I made them with the guac and also topped them with lettuce and tomato. Josh could not stop saying “Mmm” the whole time he ate them. His words: “These are blazing!” Which means good. I told him I would thank you for him, so thank you for sharing this yummy recipe. I will definitely be making them again. I think these should be dubbed the man-pleasing turkey burger!

• themessybakerblog replied April 19th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Yay, I’m so glad the two of you liked them. I’m also glad Josh liked them enough to deem them “blazing.” I may have to consider renaming them to “blazing, man-pleasing turkey burgers.” Thanks for taking the time to comment on them.

Christine — April 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Good looking burger. Love it.

• themessybakerblog replied April 27th, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Thank you. It’s quite tasty. Thanks for visiting.