Taste the Rainbow Ice Cream for #icecreamweek

I scream, you scream, we all scream for Skittles ice cream. Did you just do a double take there? You read correct. I made Skittles ice cream for day two of #icecreamweek. You know who else made Skittles ice cream? Jen from Juanita’s Cocina and Carla from Chocolate Moosey.

The idea derived from Jen’s love (verging on obsession) of the rainbow colored treat. The girl has a skittles addiction. Does anyone know of a Skittles Anonymous group? Just kidding. I don’t think it’s that bad… yet. I thought, why not turn this glorious fruit flavored treat into something everyone loves. So, here it is in all of its frozen glory.

In order to get the Skittles flavor imparted into the ice cream, I melted the candies into a simple syrup and added it to the ice cream custard base. It was all very easy.

This ice cream tastes just like you’re eating a bag of Skittles, except it’s frozen and creamy. I even crushed up some Skittles and folded them into the ice cream for an extra boost of fruity flavor. It looks like rainbow confetti running through the pale pink ice cream. Super cute, right?

Kids are going to love this ice cream! If I were a kid, and this ice cream were an option at a creamery, I would totally pick it. It just screams fun.

Don’t forget to come back tomorrow. I’ll be here all week serving up scoops of the frozen stuff.

Skittles Ice Cream

1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
6 egg yolks
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup Skittles
1/4 cup water

1/4 cup crushed Skittles- Add Skittles to a plastic bag. Using a rolling pin or meat mallet, crush Skittles until they become a fine crumble.

Skittles Syrup:

Add Skittles and water to a sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until Skittles melt and mixture becomes thick and bubbly, about 4 minutes. Strain skittles syrup and set aside.

Custard:

In a large bowl, add 1 cup of heavy cream and place a mesh strainer on top.

In a medium bowl, add the egg yolks and whisk to combine.

Heat the milk and 1/2 cup of heavy cream in a medium saucepan, just until the mixture is hot to the touch (do not boil).

Slowly pour the heated milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Add the egg mixture back to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Pour the mixture through the strainer and stir into the cream. Add the vanilla extract and Skittles syrup, stir to combine.

Place the mixture in an airtight container and chill completely before churning, at least 8 hours.

When the mixture is completely chilled, place it in your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. When the ice cream is finished churning, stir in your crushed Skittles with a rubber spatula. Place ice cream in an airtight container and freeze. Enjoy!

24 Responses to “Taste the Rainbow Ice Cream for #icecreamweek”

Renee — July 16, 2012 at 7:55 am

What fun ice cream! I bet the fruit flavors of the skittles makes it really tasty. I’m looking forward to all the ice cream recipes this week.

• Jennie replied July 16th, 2012 at 8:35 am

Thanks, Renee! I’m having fun creating tons of frozen treats. This one tastes like a big ol’ skittle!

Angie @ Big Bear's Wife — July 16, 2012 at 8:47 am

oh how awesome does that look! I love skittles….. well… I only love the orange ones…. I wonder if I could make this with orange only lol

Carla — July 16, 2012 at 9:04 am

That my friend is beautiful! Look at us being all innovative and such.

Jen @JuanitasCocina — July 16, 2012 at 9:13 am

Yes, I need a group for my obsession!

Happy Day #2 of #IceCreamWeek!

No one is cooler than us!

Kim @ Treats & Trinkets — July 16, 2012 at 9:38 am

You guys are killing me with these Skittles ice creams. I might have to fake sick to leave work early so I can go home and make some.

CJ at Food Stories — July 16, 2012 at 9:54 am

These are so cute … I just have to pin them :-)

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — July 16, 2012 at 2:44 pm

this is a seriously fun ice cream, love it!

aimee — July 16, 2012 at 4:42 pm

skittles are my favorite candy ever. and homemade ice cream is another one of my favorite things. mmm! i will definitely have to try this one. yummeeeeeey

Samantha — July 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Taste the rainbow indeed! Thanks for the nostalgia. This is one cold treat I will have to try!

Terra — July 17, 2012 at 12:09 am

I seriously did do a double take, LOL! I love that you melted the skittles down, what a fabulous idea:-) The ice cream is truly adorable, sounds delicious! Hugs, Terra

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — July 17, 2012 at 12:22 am

Oh goodness! My husband is obsessed with Skittles! He would die for this!

CCU — July 17, 2012 at 1:53 am

What an idea it was!!! This ice cream looks stunning :D

ellenbcookery — July 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Ice cream is always so good during this heat!

Kate | Food Babbles — July 18, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I officially love ice cream week and this is my favorite post!! I would never thought to do that with Skittles. That’s SO creative!! I can’t wait to make this. Seriously. This will be happening in my kitchen.

• Jennie replied July 18th, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I’m so glad you love it, Kate. If you make it, let me know how you like it. Your kids are going to go gaga for this ice cream!

Kim Bee — July 20, 2012 at 1:00 am

Okay not to take away from how gorgeous the ice cream is, but where did you get those freaking adorable little cups? They are so cute. Okay, I’m good now. Just had to get that out of my system. I love skittles and I love ice cream so this is a winner for me.

Dea — August 27, 2012 at 8:13 pm

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it!

Philip — July 20, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Making this tomorrow! Can’t wait to see how it turns out. One question though, how much does this recipe make once it’s done?

• Jennie replied July 20th, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I Phillip. You’re going to love this ice cream. It really does taste like you’re eating a bag of Skittles. The recipe yields about 4 cups (32 ounces) of ice cream. Let me know how you like it.

• Philip replied July 21st, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Oh goodness gracious! I missed the part about chilling it for 8 hours! Is this step absolutely necessary? Or can it chill for less than that?

• Jennie replied July 21st, 2013 at 7:05 pm

It’s absolutely necessary that you allow the custard to chill completely. If you don’t, the mixture will not freeze properly. I wish it were a faster process.

1. Pingback: Skittles Sherbet ~ Day #2 of #IceCreamWeek! | Juanita's Cocina