Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Banana Bread

Stress is real life, and I happen to be an active participant in this dreadful reality on a daily basis… No choice of my own, of course.

Here’s how stress works: 1.) It arrives at the most inconvenient time. 2.) It makes itself comfortable, then proceeds to drag you around by your feet for a few hours. 3.) And, if that weren’t enough, it leaves you tattered with your hair astray, feeling like you’ve just been run over by a Hummer (which is the worst, and dumbest, vehicle ever made).

Stress blows!

Here’s a list of things I like to do when stress rears its ugly head:

• Take a jog around the neighborhood- pounding the pavement calms my nerves a bit, and the pretty sights distract me from my thoughts.
  • Paint my nails- the pretty colors put me in a better mood.
  • Beat some chicken or beef- I get out my meat mallet and take out my frustration on the meat.
  • Bake- I bust out my whisk and whip up a sweet treat, then proceed to eat it. This is by far my favorite way to relieve some stress.

I decided to bake you bread, today.  It’s a win-win situation. You get bread, and I get to say sayonara to stress. Everybody’s happy!

This bread is good plain, but it’s even better slathered with butter.

Got pumpkin butter? If so, smear a healthy dollop on top. Or, you could do what  Sarah from Baking Serendipity did, and make Pumpkin Bread French Toast with it. Um, yum! I choose the french toast.

Stress? What stress?

I found this bread recipe on Sally’s Baking Addiction, and as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to make it. My family and I loved it so much that I’ve already made it twice.

See that gorgeous dark line running through the center? That’s the cinnamon swirl center, and it happens to be the best part of this bread. The cinnamon sugar mixture caramelizes in the center, creating a sweet, moist center. It’s so good.

I added some pecans for crunch and pumpkin pie spice for a rich boost of warm pumpkin flavor. You need this bread in your life…Trust me!

I hope you like pumpkin, because this is just first of many pumpkin recipes on the blog. Happy Fall!

Cinnamon-Swirl Pumpkin Banana Bread

Dry:

2 cups white whole wheat flour (or 1 cup all-purpose and 1 cup whole wheat)
3/4 tsp. baking soda

2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped

Cinnamon Swirl:

1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.

In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.

In a large bowl, add pumpkin puree and bananas, mash together with a fork or, my favorite, a potato masher. Add brown sugar, melted butter, and yogurt, whisk to combine. Add eggs and vanilla and whisk.

Fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in chopped pecans.

For cinnamon swirl: Stir together sugar and cinnamon

Add half of the batter to the bread pan and top with cinnamon swirl mixture. Top with the remaining batter and place in the oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

33 Responses to “Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Banana Bread”

CCU — September 21, 2012 at 6:57 am

Haha I paint my nails during stress too! :D
    Lovely looking bread as well, I think I could eat it to lessen stress too ;)
    Keep at it my freind, it will all be over soon!

CCU

• Jennie replied September 21st, 2012 at 3:22 pm

The pretty colors distract my attention and make me feel so much better. Eating also relieves stress. Thanks, Uru!

Anita at Hungry Couple — September 21, 2012 at 8:09 am

Awe…I’m sorry you’re so stressed. I hope whatever it is will pass quickly. I also cook/bake to relieve stress because I have to focus and it takes my mind off of things. Love pumpkin bread with cinnamon! I’ve never tried putting bananas in mine but I have put in apples and it was great.

• Jennie replied September 21st, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Thanks, Anita. Don’t worry, I gave it the boot a few days ago. I’m anti-stress, and this bread recipe soothed my worries.

Kim @ Treats & Trinkets — September 21, 2012 at 10:28 am

I bake when I’m stressed, too. Something about beating some eggs and creaming the crap out of some butter and sugar is very soothing. I prefer quick breads, too. Where a nice healthy slice is an indulgence, but not going to ruin your whole day. Good thing I just stocked up on pumpkin. Totally bookmarking this.

• Jennie replied September 21st, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Yes, cream the crap out of butter. I love it. Baking works wonders with stress. Thanks, Kim!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — September 21, 2012 at 11:07 am

Sorry life has been so stressful for you lately! This bread would definitely help calm my nerves! I love how you added pecans. . .yum! Bring on the pumpkin recipes!

• Jennie replied September 21st, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Stress sucks, but pumpkin banana bread made it all better. Thanks!

@bluenotebacker — September 21, 2012 at 11:08 am

This looks like it has a lot going on but in a very delicious way! Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer — September 21, 2012 at 11:29 am

We are an anti-banana family. Do you think I could leave out the banana and add a little extra pumpkin instead?

• Jennie replied September 21st, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Jennifer, that would be no problem. I would use 1 1/2 cups of pumpkin in lieu of the bananas. Happy eating!

Susan — September 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I would very much like this bread! The smell of pumpkin and cinnamon would reduce stress in just about anyone!

amy @ fearless homemaker — September 21, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Ooh, this sounds fantastic! I bake when i’m stressed, too. =) Love the idea of making this into french toast!

Erika — September 21, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Oh my gosh this is definitely the type of bread I need in my life! I adore the idea of adding a cinnamon swirl to it. Like really, how have I not seen this before? FAB.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Love that you combined pumpkin and banana together – definitely screams fall!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — September 21, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Baking beats my boredom and stress away too. There are so many wonderful flavors all wrapped up in this guy, I love it!

CJ at Food Stories — September 22, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Baking is a great stress reliever for me too :-)

movita beaucoup — September 23, 2012 at 8:26 am

Stress is my middle name right now. Cleaning and baking are my usual remedies of choice. I’m thinking that just the SMELL of that bread would be enough to calm my shattered nerves and battered curves…

Dawn Lombardo — September 23, 2012 at 11:35 am

Bread was delicious!! I made Pumpkin Honey Butter to go with it…YUM!!

luv what you do — September 24, 2012 at 10:04 am

This recipe I might just need to make TODAY!!!

• luv what you do replied September 24th, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Ok it is in the oven now and my house smells wonderful!

• Jennie replied September 24th, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Yay! You’re going to love it. Let me know what you think.

• luv what you do replied September 24th, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I will…It looks beautiful and I am blogging about it now. Will spread the pumpkin and banana love : )

• Jennie replied September 25th, 2012 at 3:19 pm

You’re blogging about it? Weeee! I can’t wait to read about it. Enjoy!

Meghan — September 27, 2012 at 10:30 am

It looks divine and I love the cinnamon swirl!

Sawsan (Chef in disguise) — September 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I make bread or any form of dough that requires kneading when I am stressed.
    It is a great way to vent without hurting any one lol
    Love the combination of pumpkin and banana. Of course you already had me at cinnamon swirl

Jennifer — February 19, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Would be okay to use regular salt or sea salt in banana bread if my recipe calls for kosher salt? Thank you in advance for your time.

The hopeful baker,

Jennifer

• Jennie replied February 20th, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Hi, Jennifer. It’s okay to use regular salt or sea salt in place of kosher salt. Happy baking and thanks for visiting!

Elizabeth — October 22, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Yum!!! I just made this and it’s amazing. I didn’t have any yogurt so I used applesauce instead and it still turned out wonderfully. Thanks for sharing this recipe! It was the perfect way to use up my overripe bananas and opened can of pumpkin purée. :)

• Jennie replied October 23rd, 2013 at 10:12 am

Hi, Elizabeth! I’m so happy to hear that you love the bread. The cinnamon swirl is where it’s at. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers.

Debbie — September 12, 2014 at 9:59 am

looking at making this as muffins. any suggestions/deviations? how many do you think the recipe would make?

• Debbie replied September 13th, 2014 at 7:19 pm

The muffins were excellent. I baked them for about 30 mins. The recipe made about 17 muffins. TY!!!

1. Pingback: Pumpkin Banana Bread « Luv What You Do