Cherry Sour Cocktails

Guess what next week is on the blog. Go on, take a guess. All right, I’ll tell ya. It’s #icecreamweek!

AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!

At least that’s how I’m imagining your reactions to this exciting news. You know, doing the wave, pumping your fists in the air, stomping your feet to “We Will Rock You.” Hold on, that’s football, isn’t it? Either way, this is exciting news, so feel free to go wild and do all of those crazy gestures, especially the wave. I’d love to see a #icecreamweek wave.

In preparation for #icecreamweek, I painted my nails ice cream parlor turquoise with glitter sprinkles. Whoa! Nerd alert. What can I say, I take my themes seriously.

To tide you over until next week, I’ve made y’all some cherry sour cocktails. I know we had the discussion about me being a lush, and all I can say is I’m trying. In my defense, this recipe was just too delicious to pass up. I promise I’ll try to be a better person next week. Pinky swear!

This cocktail is the perfect combination of sweet, sour, and tart.

I found this recipe on Chasing Delicious. Russell is the creative genius over at Chasing delicious and, if you’re not familiar with Russell’s site, I highly suggest you go on over and give him a visit. He takes the most beautiful food photos I have ever seen. On his site you’ll find towering blueberry pies, doodle instructions on chalkboards (my favorite is his picture of the drill), and fancy do-it-yourself mason jars.

Lemons.

Limes.

Two things you’ll need to make your lips pucker when you sip on this cocktail.

Beautiful ruby red cherries.

I pitted cherries. Then, I pitted some more cherries. After that, I mashed the cherries into a deep, crimson liquid with the citrus juice and simple syrup. Talk about a gorgeous color. My next shoe purchase is going to be a pair of cherry red pumps.

This here’s my cocktail makin’ station. It’s where all the magic happens.

Pitting cherries is hard work, but, for this cocktail, it’s worth it.

Cheers!

Cherry Sours

2 cups cherries, pitted

2 lemons, juiced
3 limes, juiced
1/2 cup grapefruit juice
1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
1/2 cup bourbon
1/4 cup brandy
1/2 cup simple syrup

In a large bowl, add the pitted cherries, lemon juice, lime juice, and simple syrup. Mash with a potato masher to break up the cherries. Add the maraschino cherry juice, bourbon, and brandy. Stir to combine. Pour into a pitcher and pour over ice. Garnish with a cherry.

20 Responses to “Cherry Sour Cocktails”

Jen @ Juanita's Cocina — July 11, 2012 at 8:51 am

Cheers. Cheers to it all…the cocktail, the nails, and especially ice cream week.

P.S.~ What color is that nail polish? I need it.

Brenda @ Meal Planning Magic — July 11, 2012 at 9:03 am

I can’t wait until ice cream week but until then you’ve done a great job holding me over with this delcious looking beverage!

diabeticFoodie — July 11, 2012 at 9:38 am

I love cherries and this looks so cool and refreshing. I’d have to make my simple syrup with stevia and leave out the booze, but I think it would still be delish!

Kim @ Treats & Trinkets — July 11, 2012 at 11:40 am

Okay, you’ve got me on the verge of giving up my non-drinker ways. These look too cute and yummy, and I love the cherry/lime combination. Added lemon doesn’t hurt either!

Susan — July 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I love that tablecloth! It goes perfect with my cherry purse! I can’t wait for #icecreamweek! Three cheers hurrah hurrah hurrah! I’m not a bourbon fan, but I’m pretty sure I could drink this.

Tiffany — July 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm

These cocktails look like the perfect use of my second favorite summer fruit (mangos are my fav)! And looking forward to ice cream week!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex @ Intoxicology101 — July 11, 2012 at 10:40 pm

We’re HUGE fans of cherry, and even huger fans of Bourbon. Great drink recipe. Cheers!

Carla — July 11, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Ha I love the cherry fabric. Coordinating fabric and ice cream nails. Now I wish I didn’t run out of cherries so I can make this drink! After today, I need two.

BerlinLunchbox — July 12, 2012 at 2:53 am

Amazing, Fresh, Summertime Drink! I must try making this myself this summer.

Choc Chip Uru — July 12, 2012 at 5:13 am

Im going wild, OMG I am so going wild :D
    What a crazy gorgeous idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited :D :D
    This drink as well? I am on a delicious sugar rush!

CCU

Kristina — July 12, 2012 at 10:43 am

Mmmm! Is it Friday yet…?? I NEED one of these cherry sours! They sound amazing! So perfect for summer :)

And can’t wait for ice-cream week! I’ve never made ice-cream before and all these yummy recipes popping up are making me really want to try!

Anne@FromMySweetHeart — July 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Wow…those cherries (and your pictures) are gorgeous! A perfect summer cocktail! Looking forward to ice cream week! : )

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — July 12, 2012 at 3:01 pm

that sounds delicious! such a gorgeous color! i love your nails btw :)

CJ at Food Stories — July 12, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I’m doing the wave, right now :-)

Baker Street — July 13, 2012 at 6:12 am

I’d love a pitcher of cherry sours! It sounds incredibly delicious!

kale — July 13, 2012 at 7:38 pm

These look so yummy and cute! I love your presentation, especially those fun straws and little mason jars!

Samantha — July 15, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Bourbon and cherries? I’m sold! These look so refreshing! And thank you for pointing out Chasing Delicious. I’ll have to check that site out.

• Jennie replied July 15th, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Thanks for visiting, Samantha. And, thank you for the lovely comments.

yumgoggle — July 29, 2012 at 10:22 am

Lovely cherries! Exactly what I need after a tiring week…Time to relax with pretty sour cherry cocktails. I am looking forward for the ice cream post, by the way…Thanks for sharing.
    Anyhoo, we have been keeping an eye out for unique and interesting bloggers with phenomenal photography skills, and yours caught our attention! We have just recently launched a food photo submission gallery http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/ that allows you to showcase all your great work and share it with all of our visitors. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there!

1. Pingback: 45+ Fresh Cherry Recipes | Cravings of a Lunatic