Birthday Lemon Bars

I’m busting out the cone hats, the party horns, the goodie bags, the party streamers, and the birthday balloons on the blog today. Why such a festive celebration? Well, today is one of my very best foodie friend’s (BFF) birthday.

Happy birthday, Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! *Horn blowing*

Jen may be in Texas, but that’s not stopping me from celebrating her special day. I’ve got my cone hat on, and I’m ready to paaartay!

If you know Jen, then you know that she’s bonkers for anything lemon. Lemon cake, lemon pie, lemon, lemon, and more lemon. The girl loves her some lemon! So, in honor of Jen’s very special day and love of all things lemon, I made her birthday lemon bars with a pecan crust. Stick a candle in it and make a wish, Jen!

These lemon bars pack a huge punch of tart lemon flavor. Pow, right in your kisser tart!

The buttery pecan crust melts in your mouth and pairs perfectly with the sweet, tart, gooey lemon custard that tops it. And if that weren’t enough, the baked bars get drizzled with a sweet lemon icing.

They’re a lemon lovers dream come true.

Happy Birthday, Jen! Enjoy your special day and eat cake… lots of cake!

Lemon Bars

1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tbs. lemon zest

Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tbs. fresh lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the crust: In a large bowl, beat flour, ground pecans, powdered sugar, butter, and lemon zest until combined. Press into the bottom of a greased 9-by-13 inch pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until light golden brown.

For the Filling: In a large bowl, whisk eggs to break the yolks. Add sugar, flour, baking powder, lemon juice, and lemon zest, whisk until smooth. Pour evenly over crust, immediately after removing from oven. Return to oven and bake an additional 25 minutes, or until the top is a light golden brown. Let cool for at least one hour before topping with glaze.

For the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle over cooled bars.

Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

Adapted from Baking Serendipity

26 Responses to “Birthday Lemon Bars”

Amber — August 17, 2012 at 7:10 am

Pow! Kick Bam Boom! You go girl! Jennie, these lemon bars look fabulous!
    Happy Birthday Jen!

Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes — August 17, 2012 at 7:19 am

How awesome of you to do this for Jen :) The Lemon Bars sound great!

• Jennie replied August 17th, 2012 at 8:49 am

Thanks, Jamie!

Family Foodie — August 17, 2012 at 8:00 am

You are a good friend! Jen will be so excited!

• Jennie replied August 17th, 2012 at 8:49 am

Thanks, Isabel!

Jen @JuanitasCocina — August 17, 2012 at 8:27 am

Screw cake!!! I want lemon bars!!!

If I had one wish, I’d wish that I could sit down with you with a lemon bar and a lime in the coconut drinky. With donuts. Because we love donuts.

THAT would be my birthday with!

Thank you SO much!!! I’m making these tomorrow. Yes, I’m totally serious. Why not? I have everything! Doesn’t matter that I’m having lemon pie for my birthday. A gal always needs more lemon.

• Jennie replied August 17th, 2012 at 8:49 am

That’s the spirit! A girl always needs options. One piece of pie, one (or two) lemon bars.

We are going to have that sit down one day, and there will be donuts involved… lots of donuts. Have a very happy birthday!!!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — August 17, 2012 at 9:00 am

Happy Birthday Jen! These lemon bars look like a great way to celebrate!!

Renee — August 17, 2012 at 9:25 am

Happy Birthday Jen & what a great gift of these lemon bars from Jennie!

Kristina — August 17, 2012 at 10:28 am

Happy Birthday Jen!! I hope you mailed her some of these because she’s got to be drooling over her comp. screen right now…. :) Pretty pretty pics too Jennie! I need an excuse to make lemon bars asap!

@bluenotebacker — August 17, 2012 at 10:45 am

Another winner, Jennie, and another great recipe I can make with my daughter, she’ll love them too. Thanks!

Susan — August 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Happy Birthday Jen! Great recipe Jennie! I love the combination of the pecans and the lemon. Lemon desserts are the best, the tartness is a perfect compliment to the sweet.

CJ at Food Stories — August 17, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Oh man … these look to-die-for … great job & Happy Friday :-)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 17, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Awww, you’re such a sweet friend! And these lemon bars – oh my they look amazing, especially with that drizzle!

Carla — August 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Happy birthday indeed! Let’s go have a party in Texas. If we leave now, we could be there by tomorrow….

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — August 18, 2012 at 9:06 am

Awwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Anita at Hungry Couple — August 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Awe, that was so cute and thoughtful. Was it Jen’s birthday? I wasn’t sure she’d mentioned it. Bwahahahahaha

Anne@FromMySweetHeart — August 18, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Holy cow Jennie! These look really good! I’m all about the lemon thing myself! LOVE LOVE LOVE the lemon drizzle! What a great treat for your friend (Happy Birthday Jen!). Awesome recipe and I can’t wait to try it! : )

Jenn and Seth — August 18, 2012 at 2:26 pm

these are awesome, perfect way to celebrate a birthday!

Beth Michelle — August 19, 2012 at 6:05 am

So nice to bake these for your foodie friend! Im sure she would love them!! I alos love any lemony dessert so these look super delicious to me. YUM

Tora Estep — August 19, 2012 at 10:25 am

Man, I love lemon bars! These sound so amazing!

Baker Street — August 20, 2012 at 6:15 am

Happy birthday dear Jen! I absolutely love Jen’s blog and her lovely pictures! These bars look fantastic, Jennie. :)

Lindsay @ The lean green bean — August 20, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Seriously?! Cannot.stop.eating.these!!! So freaking good!

1. Pingback: What’s Been Happenin’ In The Cocina ~ 8/18/12 | Juanita's Cocina